Confirmed with Link: [LAK/DAL] Ben Bishop UFA Rights - Signs 6 years / $29.5 million

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
C_akSl4UQAEfSAZ.jpg:large

Mike Heika is reporting Dallas traded for the rights to UFA Ben Bishop from the LA Kings for a 2017 4th round pick (MTL Pick).

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Not technically confirmed yet, but I doubt Heika's wrong.

Hoping we can sign him to a reasonable deal. Anything less than 4 years of term and I'm happy.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Shocked the price was less than Darling.

Reasonable explanation would be Darling trade shrunk the market. Like I've said in previous threads, there might be 5 teams with an open goalie protection spot. Most of them probably wouldn't attract a guy like Bishop.

Dallas' only real competition IMO before the expansion draft was Calgary.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Now it's confirmed via Stars' Twitter.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So what do we think the chances of him returning to his Vezina caliber form are? I don't really have a good feel for whether he regressed this past season or not.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
This gives me quite a bit of peace honestly. I don't know that Bishop is the right guy, but I'm glad LA allowed Dallas to talk to him ahead of time. We already know that Nill isn't a fan of traditional UFA contracts. This makes me feel like the term will be within that 3 to 4 year window. Money could go up which is typically the case when term goes down though.

Still, I'd rather pay a little more and have less years.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Would love to know the entire backstory. Darling signed pretty quickly. Even though its not technically allowed for DAL to speak to Bishop to see if he is signable, maybe they did get a sense via working through LAK?

Or, maybe they have no guarantees, and that explains why his rights went for less than Darling. At times, he sounded as if he was pretty excited to go to Calgary, but maybe still is, or maybe put off by the last second negation of that trade.

Also, he did play for the Texas Tornado, so there may be some incentive to come back to DFW.

While worried about injuries and money/term, I would have to say BB is the best goalie available, and certainly a top 10, if not higher goalie in the NHL. He could very well be Hitchcock's second coming of Ed Belfour.

We still need to use our second pick (wherever that ends up) on Ottenger (sp?) the top ranked goalie in this draft, if he is available.

Morry83

14-90-91
Mar 16, 2013
Love it. Just sign him to something reasonable. And use the second first or the second rounder on Oettinger/Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen/etc.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Glad they're taking the position seriously, but I think the term he'll demand will likely petrify me. 4 years I'm fine with, longer than that, eek.

Get ready for 6. I think 5 is rock bottom minimum.

Buy-out Lehtonen? Niemi is gone in 1 more year.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Would love to know the entire backstory. Darling signed pretty quickly. Even though its not technically allowed for DAL to speak to Bishop to see if he is signable, maybe they did get a sense via working through LAK?

That's not entirely accurate. You can talk to a player when the other team gives permission, and that's what sounds like happened here.

Shapiro clarified a contract was not extended, but they know what he's wanting.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Wow .... that's excellent news for Dallas. Unless he's not planning on signing with someone he thinks can be a playoff team .... there aren't really any other options for starters out there.

Jaromir Blogger

Oct 15, 2014
As someone who likes the Stars as a secondary team, I have mixed feelings about this. I'm a bit worried that Bishop may not regain his form - especially with a team like the Stars that can struggle defensively with a young blueline. I'm also concerned that he may sign to an overlong deal that will end up being an albatross just like Niemi's and Lehtonen's. But I do also think that there's a chance he'll regain his form and do a great job for Dallas. I just don't know (obviously). But either way, they have to get out from under one of the other bad deals.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
Can't say I'm super excited about this, but I'm glad we are doing something with the goaltending situation... if an aging IP goalie will be the answer only time will tell...

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I'd be prepared to at least spend $12.4 million in net next year.

Probably at minimum $6 for Bishop, $5.9 for Kari, and $1.5 for Niemi's buyout.

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas
Wow .... that's excellent news for Dallas. Unless he's not planning on signing with someone he thinks can be a playoff team .... there aren't really any other options for starters out there.

Flyers, but otherwise, yeah--limited options.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Forgot about the Flyers. I've been writing them off because I'd mostly been thinking about MAF landing spots, but Philadelphia would have likely been in the mix for Bishop as an UFA.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I haven't looked at advanced goalie stats a ton, but MAF's and Bishop's seem similar this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad