Salary Cap: Laine's contract in 19/20

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
They matter as much as yours, likely more. My main point is this. In terms of real value to the team, he probably ranks 5th or 6th. I'm only concerned with winning, and I don't think we should sign deals that hurt us.
This is a brave claim to which I'd love to hear a more in depth reasoning.

I think you're being shortsighted here.

Also unless you're Chevy's closest adviser, your opinion matters as little as mine.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The goal scoring is elite, but at this point his game is still limited. I expect an 8 $m player to play a complete game.

Did Wayne Gretzky play a complete game? Wayne couldn't even spell defense, and he didn't have to because his offense made up for it.

Goal scorers can demand the highest salaries because they score goals and it doesn't matter what the rest of their game looks like.

IMO the only two ways that Laine doesn't end up getting more than $10/yr long term is: a - he likes Winnipeg so much he tells his agent to give us a discount or b- he takes a short bridge contract worth less to get the huge payoff later. ( ie: the Trouba gambit )

You can look at a players personality all you want, but once their agent convinces them that players have short careers so they have to make the most money they can, then you get reality.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
As fan of Edmonton as well can't really disvalue goal scorers. Laine would be so insanely valuable for Oilers right now. Goals don't grow in trees. It seems some people here are taking Laine's 40+ goals at granted but take them away from the team and it's a huge blow for the offense.

AutisticGoat

Mar 9, 2018
I just hope that Laine will let his beard grow atleast few years from now. I'm so excited about how it would look. Same with his hair. He could have cool pony tail, but the negative thing about that is other players would be able to grab from it if Laine passes them with his amazing future skating ability.

But all in all. Give Laine atleast 12 million/year, 7 year contract. Hope he just doesn"t do like Leino.. Quit hockey and put up his own fashion brand.. And move to bahamas and spend his free times surfing..

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I just hope that Laine will let his beard grow atleast few years from now. I'm so excited about how it would look. Same with his hair. He could have cool pony tail, but the negative thing about that is other players would be able to grab from it if Laine passes them with his amazing future skating ability.

But all in all. Give Laine atleast 12 million/year, 7 year contract. Hope he just doesn"t do like Leino.. Quit hockey and put up his own fashion brand.. And move to bahamas and spend his free times surfing..

First post about Laine's beard lol.

A part of his beard will be cut regularly for the new Laine clothing line if you were wondering. Beanie costs one million.

Reactions: AutisticGoat

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
They matter as much as yours, likely more. My main point is this. In terms of real value to the team, he probably ranks 5th or 6th. I'm only concerned with winning, and I don't think we should sign deals that hurt us.

His WAR82 last season was by far the best among Jets skaters last season (4.91). And was the 3rd in the whole league, just after Crosby and Kucherov and a hair ahead of that of McDavid. Wheeler was 13th best in the league (3.21), Scheifele 39th (2.15).

So statistically he ranks 1st in importance regarding winning, not 5th or 6th.

Source: Corsica | WAR

WAR tries to be the "catch it all that affects winning" stat to rule them all, but obviously all stats are flawed. To my knowledge, most stats should be more flawed than WAR. WAR82 is the averaged over 82 game season version of the stat to make things equals in case someone is injured etc.

I'm curious to see what is his and other guys WAR82 for this season, but that will be seen only after the season. I guess Helle and Wheeler at least will be really high on that stat after this season. Laine will quite likely still be TOP-3 though, if not higher among the Jets.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Toronto bet on the wrong horse and are still bitter about.

Their angry posts are quite comical.

They desperately needed that Center, so no, they didn't.

I think Laine has far higher ceiling, but what they already got with more ready-to-go package Matthews they should be extremely happy with it, and they are.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
You can look at a players personality all you want, but once their agent convinces them that players have short careers so they have to make the most money they can, then you get reality.

$8 M x 8 = $64 M
$10 M x 8 = $80 M

In both cases the money is guaranteed, so even if he only plays one more year then gets terminally injured, he's still fabulously wealthy for life (and his children's and grandchildren's lives). You'd have to be pretty oblivious to reality to think making $64 million before you're 30 years old (plus whatever he makes on this contract, somewhere around another $10 million) is some sort of deprivation that can only be rectified by insisting on more.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
$8 M x 8 = $64 M
$10 M x 8 = $80 M

In both cases the money is guaranteed, so even if he only plays one more year then gets terminally injured, he's still fabulously wealthy for life (and his children's and grandchildren's lives). You'd have to be pretty oblivious to reality to think making $64 million before you're 30 years old (plus whatever he makes on this contract, somewhere around another $10 million) is some sort of deprivation that can only be rectified by insisting on more.
Almost all the nhl regulars are going to be wealthy for life, management does not use that as a bargaining chip. Players and agents want the best deal for their players now because the future contracts are not a guarantee.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
$8 M x 8 = $64 M
$10 M x 8 = $80 M

Need to remember than only around 35% of that ever materializes in the players bank account after all the fees, taxes and escrow.

Reactions: Wizard204

Insthofen

Dec 2, 2016
Goalscoring is by far the most difficult thing in hockey. Remember that when valuating anyone.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
$8 M x 8 = $64 M
$10 M x 8 = $80 M

Not disputing that, but we are talking about people here ( and someone whom is hired to get you the most money ), and ask anyone if they would rather get paid $80M or $64M.... I think the answer would be obvious.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Almost all the nhl regulars are going to be wealthy for life, management does not use that as a bargaining chip. Players and agents want the best deal for their players now because the future contracts are not a guarantee.

Where did I mention management? I'm saying that in the NHL, where salaries are guaranteed, and with Laine, who can almost certainly be assured of getting a guaranteed $50-$60 million (or more) on his next contract, the concept of "careers are short so I must get it all now" is farcical. That might hold water in the NFL where money is not necessarily guaranteed, and in the case of fringe NHL players who really could have short and not so lucrative careers, but not in Laine's case. If Laine holds out for maximum dollars -- when even a lesser contract will net him a king's ransom suitable for ten lifetimes of leisure and luxury -- it will be because of pride or some other personal factor, but it won't be because of economic necessity.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Not disputing that, but we are talking about people here ( and someone whom is hired to get you the most money ), and ask anyone if they would rather get paid $80M or $64M.... I think the answer would be obvious.

Once they give you the obvious answer, ask them if they'd rather get paid $80 M and make the conference final once or twice, or would they rather get paid $64 M and win a couple of Stanley Cups.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
Where did I mention management? I'm saying that in the NHL, where salaries are guaranteed, and with Laine, who can almost certainly be assured of getting a guaranteed $50-$60 million (or more) on his next contract, the concept of "careers are short so I must get it all now" is farcical. That might hold water in the NFL where money is not necessarily guaranteed, and in the case of fringe NHL players who really could have short and not so lucrative careers, but not in Laine's case. If Laine holds out for maximum dollars -- when even a lesser contract will net him a king's ransom suitable for ten lifetimes of leisure and luxury -- it will be because of pride or some other personal factor, but it won't be because of economic necessity.
Player agents will get the best deal for the player, they make their money by doing it. Players don’t ask for more because of pride :laugh:, they want the best deal for what they are worth. Players always want to get the best contract because they don’t know what the future holds. Also there is a big difference between 50-60 million and 80 million.

Last edited:

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Once they give you the obvious answer, ask them if they'd rather get paid $80 M and make the conference final once or twice, or would they rather get paid $64 M and win a couple of Stanley Cups.
He'll make up the money in endorsements. Winning a cup gets you more Nike money.

Reactions: Board Bard

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
He'll make up the money in endorsements. Winning a cup gets you more Nike money.
Winning in a major market gets you endorsements. It would be much harder getting endorsements in Wpg, it is just the way it is. If Liane played in a major market you would never hear the end of it from the media.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm a huge Laine fan, but all these numbers are ridiculous. We get all mad when posters from other boards start suggesting he's a one dimensional player....but there's plenty of truth to it. He simply is not an elite player....yet. In terms of value to team, he'd still be behind Helly, Wheeler, Buff Morrissey, perhaps even a few others.

Have you followed the signings of other players how much?

Because these 6M dreams are dreams only. The guy is competing for Calder(refuse to fix the mistake) at 19y, he has the most goals in the league since entering the league. He was drafted 2nd overall with potential to be the best goal scorer in his prime, he's showing signs of it already.
You can bet that's expensive.

With these kids you don't just pay for what they are worth today. Something many seem to miss.

Last edited:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Have you followed the signings of other players how much?

Because these 6M dreams are dreams only. The guy is competing for Calder at 19y,
You only get to be a rookie once.....he'll never win the Calder trophy .

Did you mean Rocket Richard?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Top 5 for Rocket would mean he unlocks his Schedule B bonus in two categories. Obviously he caps his max $1.8M with even one eligible achievement and technically it overlaps the Top 10 in Goals one, but that'd be hard to ignore when negotiating the next contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad