Salary Cap: Laine's contract in 19/20

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
hahaha that made me laugh, I can imagine Chevy trying to crunch numbers on one of these classics:

Lloyds322_1.jpg

Chipman dusts off his abacus and slide rule for extra calculations due to increased Zeros

Hey don't knock it til you try it--my old Llyods calculator is still alive and doing fine. I'm sure Chevy's is in use as well-- it's just that it may not hold the amount of digits needed for Laine's contract. :laugh:

Z-Lloyds.jpg

Reactions: one other person

one other person

Tripping thru time and space
Feb 19, 2018
Sunny St. Somewhere
Reactions: GNP

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm a huge Laine fan, but all these numbers are ridiculous. We get all mad when posters from other boards start suggesting he's a one dimensional player....but there's plenty of truth to it. He simply is not an elite player....yet. In terms of value to team, he'd still be behind Helly, Wheeler, Buff Morrissey, perhaps even a few others.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I'm a huge Laine fan, but all these numbers are ridiculous. We get all mad when posters from other boards start suggesting he's a one dimensional player....but there's plenty of truth to it. He simply is not an elite player....yet. In terms of value to team, he'd still be behind Helly, Wheeler, Buff Morrissey, perhaps even a few others.

Scheifele?

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
40 goal scorer
Not elite

Choose one. You don't sound like a huge fan. More like this:

images

Kratti

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
You do realize he has scored more goals than any other player in the NHL since he started playing in the league (atleast before this nights WSH LAK game)? At 19 years of age, at that. What would you suggest is a fair salary for such a player?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I'm sure that Laine won't ask for maximum what he is worth, but how big of a discount will Laine give to Jets is a hard question.

8.5 is the lowest he will go. If the Jets get this they are super lucky.

10-11 million wouldn't be bad considering that he is projected to be one of the best goal scorers of all time if injuries won't slow him down. He will go 10 or under because the rest of the team are giving discounts as well.

Last edited:

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I'm sure that Laine won't ask for maximum what he is worth, but how big of a discount will Laine give to Jets is a hard question.

8.5 is the lowest he will go. If the Jets get this they are super lucky.

10-11 million wouldn't be bad considering that he is projected to be one of the best goal scorers of all time if injuries won't slow him down. He will go 10 or under because the rest of the team are giving discounts as well.

This is exactly how I think it will go as well.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I think he'll sign for 9-9.5M x 8, considering the culture of players taking fairly substantial discounts here.
It was pointed out excellent on previous page that team discount is bit iffy. He can’t have NTC so at the end of the day he is just button in the trade game. Discount deal will make him even better trade asset in trade game.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
It was pointed out excellent on previous page that team discount is bit iffy. He can’t have NTC so at the end of the day he is just button in the trade game. Discount deal will make him even better trade asset in trade game.
I think you may misunderstand the culture here. Ownership and management have never, in words or actions, treated their prized young draftees as "buttons" in a trade game. They assiduously draft for talent and character and aim to develop both, long-term. Scheifele, Lowry, Morrissey, Ehlers are all examples. The only exception to this has been Trouba, who has not yet fully embraced the culture.
From what I can see of Patrik's character, he fits squarely into the mold, and the only way he would ever be dealt is if he clearly put his own interests ahead of the interests, and culture, of the team. I don't see that as likely, at all.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
If I was PL I would instruct my agent to inform the Jets that he will wait until after next season to begin negotiations. He is already wealthy and the move would possibly encourage the Jets to make their best offer first in order to prevent a huge salary going forward. Risky? Sure, but the odds are with him. As a Jets fan I would hate to see that happen though.

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
I think you may misunderstand the culture here. Ownership and management have never, in words or actions, treated their prized young draftees as "buttons" in a trade game. They assiduously draft for talent and character and aim to develop both, long-term. Scheifele, Lowry, Morrissey, Ehlers are all examples. The only exception to this has been Trouba, who has not yet fully embraced the culture.
From what I can see of Patrik's character, he fits squarely into the mold, and the only way he would ever be dealt is if he clearly put his own interests ahead of the interests, and culture, of the team. I don't see that as likely, at all.
At the same time you have to understand that at the end of the day it is business. I would never lay off anyone that is working for me. But it is still something that I have to do for some reason.

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
At the same time you have to understand that at the end of the day it is business. I would never lay off anyone that is working for me. But it is still something that I have to do for some reason.
I do accept that it is a business, but I think some people (not you necessarily) oversimplify the magnitude of the business and how certain players are fundamental to the business plan.. Over the next, say, 12-14 years, the Jets will invest more than a billion dollars in hockey players and 100 million of that could be in Patrik Laine. That is what you call a core asset of a big business, and core assets are not disposed of unless the business is failing.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
I believe I have been consistent In quoting the upper end range with regards to elite young players signing off their ELC. If you disagree please show me an example other than Echiel. An 8.9 hit would give him the fourth highest cap hit amoung wingers in the league and two of the other ones where signed as straight UFA deals when those players each had an art rose to their names and in Kanes case a Heart and ConSmyth.

Also you can't just extrapolate that he would continue to score at the same rate playing more ES minutes. As those minutes go up so to does the quality of his matchups.

I believe you have compared his season and 'would be' salary hit to other players who've all signed their contracts ages ago along with drawing some quite odd parallels of Laine's two first seasons to Hall's as if they were equals considering the achievements. All of which just doesn't add up numbers wise (or else), no matter even if someone had a tremendous crush on assists over goals. Howabout you present me another recent teen that actually is equivalent to Laine lets say from within the last five years range from their respective drafts with a signed contract and I'll bring down the moon for you?

A player who's capable of wrapping his first seasons as a nr 1 goal scorer of the entire league since entering it will be worth every single penny any team is able to throw at him, and beyond. Even more so when we're talking about someone of the ages of 18 and 19. Right now the ten million a year would be a gift wrapped in a paper.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Agree totally on Trouba.
Laine will sign a reasonable 8 year deal in the neighbourhood of 8.5

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
The goal scoring is elite, but at this point his game is still limited. I expect an 8 $m player to play a complete game.
That's not how player salaries are determined though, so your expectations don't matter. For these young stars you pay for UFA years and potential.

I think Chevy will get him for under 8 mil, though. 7.5 or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Naturaledge

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Numerology........Crosby always wanted to incorporate his number 87 into his contracts.

29 could be incorporated a couple ways.

8.29mAAV
9.29m AAV

etc.

Or else you could reverse the number

9.2m AAV

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
The goal scoring is elite, but at this point his game is still limited. I expect an 8 $m player to play a complete game.

I don't really understand what you mean. Does Ovechkin play a complete game? Does Wheeler? Does P Kane? Players that are elite scorers get paid the biggest contracts, winning cups helps too.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
That's not how player salaries are determined though, so your expectations don't matter.
They matter as much as yours, likely more. My main point is this. In terms of real value to the team, he probably ranks 5th or 6th. I'm only concerned with winning, and I don't think we should sign deals that hurt us.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Hey don't knock it til you try it--my old Llyods calculator is still alive and doing fine. I'm sure Chevy's is in use as well-- it's just that it may not hold the amount of digits needed for Laine's contract. :laugh:
View attachment 103395

I always used an HP calculator in school. RPN was a great deterrent. Hey, can I borrow your calcu... Oh. It's an HP. Never mind. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->