Salary Cap: Laine's contract in 19/20

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Ahh, there's the problem.

Thos guys are +10M guys today, more on UFA contracts.
Even then 45-50 goals is more valuable than ppg.

did you see the other part of the post tho.

you can take your 10m, but other players need to get paid still
share the wealth

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
he's not worth more than 7 million right now tho. he's a 7million dollar player because of his goal scoring. when he starts scoring a ppg we can start talking above 7 million. that's how I see it.

I think if you wanna be the only player getting paid then take your 10million, but other players need to get paid

He is scoring 0.93 PPG with ridiculous GPG, laughable TOI and really questionable 5-ln-5 usage until lately. As a teenager.

It's quite safe to see that without injuries and with proper usage (that comes with age, as PoMo is the coach) he will be PPG+ player.

I hope he settles with huge discount and takes only 8.5 million x 8 years to leave cap space, but that talk with 7 millions is something I cannot understand.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
He is scoring 0.93 PPG with ridiculous GPG, laughable TOI and really questionable 5-ln-5 usage until lately. As a teenager.

It's quite safe to see that without injuries and with proper usage (that comes with age, as PoMo is the coach) he will be PPG+ player.

I hope he settles with huge discount and takes only 8.5 million x 8 years to leave cap space, but that talk with 7 millions is something I cannot understand.
I hope that every player gets paid market value, including Laine. Just as I myself expect to get paid full market value for my professional knowhow and what I bring to the table at work. If I was asked to give a discount so that my company can keep all it's talent without paying market salary, I would get another job that pays market value ASAP.

I can't stand all this talk about "taking one for the team". Hockey is a team sport, yes, and you should always PLAY for the team. The business side of it is 100% personal, and is between the player and his employer. The cap is there for a good reason, and every team is built under it. Make it work, Chevy.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I hope that every player gets paid market value, including Laine. Just as I myself expect to get paid full market value for my professional knowhow and what I bring to the table at work. If I was asked to give a discount so that my company can keep all it's talent without paying market salary, I would get another job that pays market value ASAP.

I can't stand all this talk about "taking one for the team". Hockey is a team sport, yes, and you should always PLAY for the team. The business side of it is 100% personal, and is between the player and his employer. The cap is there for a good reason, and every team is built under it. Make it work, Chevy.
Except market value is a fluid thing and can be based on a variety of factors including being able to build a winning team around you. There are numerous examples of players taking below market value if you view it merely through a monetary lens. With that lens McDavid's market value is 20% of the cap because many if not most markets would pay him that. And to maximize his market value he would have waited to this off season to sign a contract because everyone expected the cap to go up. With a $80 M cap McDavid's true market value is $16 M AAV. So why did he sign well below that for $12.5 M?

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Except market value is a fluid thing and can be based on a variety of factors including being able to build a winning team around you. There are numerous examples of players taking below market value if you view it merely through a monetary lens. With that lens McDavid's market value is 20% of the cap because many if not most markets would pay him that. And to maximize his market value he would have waited to this off season to sign a contract because everyone expected the cap to go up. With a $80 M cap McDavid's true market value is $16 M AAV. So why did he sign well below that for $12.5 M?
McDavid got a good offer and signed it. Besides, his market value was not $16 M at the time he signed it. He could have taken the risk and wait for it to go up if he had wanted to. Maybe he had his recent long term injury in mind when he decided to take the bait? One can only guess. It is however irrelevant to Laine what McDavid did. Laine will get paid and I think his pricetag will be well above the ~$7 M that some have suggested, and rightfully so.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

To take a "team friendly" deal while still geting paid a lot of money and not being too obvious about it? Besides that's a sure thing signing that deal, no one knows what happens in the future. Waiting he probably could've got more money but he also could've gotten a career ending injury or something. Everyone wants to win the cup and I'm sure a lot of players would be willing to take ridiculously cheap short term deals at some point during their career if if ensured their team a very good chance at winning the cup. But the problem with that approach is if everyone does that, there's no advantage to any team and the players end up the losers because suddenly everyone get paid less :) Don't know how the system works and kind of agreements players have regarding this, but for the sake of the playerbase as a whole (and the whole cap system for that matter), you can't have guys in/entering their prime taking overly team friendly deals because it would push the salaries down for everyone and players would be the biggest losers in that scenario.

Reactions: Tommigun

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

In principle I agree with you. Everyone should get what they are worth.

Hovewer in practise things gets more complicated because of cap. Salary cap cannot be avoided and while Laine should be worth more 10+ million when they are negotiating for the contract, that might handcuff the team a bit too much.

Without salary cap, pay him 12 if he is worth that (and pay McDavid even more).

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
In principle I agree with you. Everyone should get what they are worth.

Hovewer in practise things gets more complicated because of cap. Salary cap cannot be avoided and while Laine should be worth more 10+ million when they are negotiating for the contract, that might handcuff the team a bit too much.

Without salary cap, pay him 12 if he is worth that (and pay McDavid even more).
I think we pretty much agree on this. I just don't get all the talk about a 7+ deal for generational scorer who has scored most goals in the entire league since he arrived to the NHL. It's ridiculous. If the Jets want to keep him, they need to pay him big $$$ – 10+ – and lock him up long term. Otherwise some other team will.

Reactions: Halberdier

FinnJet

Just one Lainer
Jan 20, 2017
If you make say 100k yearly and suddenly get 800k it will have a huge impact on what you can do with your life.
If you get 7,5 million yearly and get a raise to 10 million it has close to zero impact on your life if you are just half way normal between your ears.
You are set for life with a contract for 6-8 years and your children as well. It will be a huge difference though, to have won a Stanley Cup or three. Been part of something special when your carreer is over.

Greed is a tough thing to battle.
I wish i'd make 100 kilos/yr:rolleyes:
But what ever kind of contract Laine is going to sign, he's not going to get more than 6mil/yr. to himself. Manager and taxes take care of that.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

well that's where you and I are different

I like to share my wealth. not take it all

if I know taking less money can create a better team aka the team would benefit it from id take a discount

id be pretty happy to make millions a year to play hockey
it's all about winning that cup too tho right?

Last edited:
Reactions: adammlis

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To take a "team friendly" deal while still geting paid a lot of money and not being too obvious about it? Besides that's a sure thing signing that deal, no one knows what happens in the future. Waiting he probably could've got more money but he also could've gotten a career ending injury or something. Everyone wants to win the cup and I'm sure a lot of players would be willing to take ridiculously cheap short term deals at some point during their career if if ensured their team a very good chance at winning the cup. But the problem with that approach is if everyone does that, there's no advantage to any team and the players end up the losers because suddenly everyone get paid less :) Don't know how the system works and kind of agreements players have regarding this, but for the sake of the playerbase as a whole (and the whole cap system for that matter), you can't have guys in/entering their prime taking overly team friendly deals because it would push the salaries down for everyone and players would be the biggest losers in that scenario.
How do the players end up losers? There is a hard cap in place and the majority of teams pay up to this cap. Top players taking less then they can squeeze out actually helps more players than it hurts. The same amount of money goes to salaries, but instead of it just going to a couple of stars at the top the money gets distributed to the middle class players as well. Teams like Chicago have virtually eliminated the mid range player because of their salary structure.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I think we pretty much agree on this. I just don't get all the talk about a 7+ deal for generational scorer who has scored most goals in the entire league since he arrived to the NHL. It's ridiculous. If the Jets want to keep him, they need to pay him big $$$ – 10+ – and lock him up long term. Otherwise some other team will.
What I'm hoping happens is Chevy and Lou in Toronto start taking back some of the advantage teams have over players as they move from ELC to their first RFA contract. Teams used to be able to sign star players long term at reasonable prices because they held on to this collectively bargained advantage, but gradually GM's like Chiarelli started to piss this away. I'm not saying They have to fight Laine tooth and nail but being firm to your internal structure can go a long way when you hold a players rights for 4 years after the ELC and they aren't arbitration eligible.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I argued with someone about this a few months back regarding Trouba. They said they want to be able to set their children and their children's children up for life. I disagree, you may want to be able to help your children pay for their education, but, you don't want your child to turn into a complete spoilt slackers. That's why many billionaires such as Warren Buffett talk about leaving their children nothing and leaving all their money to charity. If that's the case, then having had the experience of winning a Stanley cup or two must be worth something to you. They also said that there is no guarantee that someone will ever offer you another contract so you have to take it all at once. Everyone other than Tanev and Hendricks unless they have an absolutely atrocious injury are most likely going to be in the NHL for a long time. Guys like Laine are pretty much guaranteed to play from their 20 to their mid 30's if not longer. Therefore, they can afford everything they want and more at a team friendly salary. I can't see Laine to be the time of player to want to buy his own plane or hundreds of cars. Maybe his own household theatre where he can play video games tho. =)

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
I personally believe that TNSE will offer 65 million dollars to Patrik Laine. In my opinion, there will be very little wiggle room on such a deal; I suspect 66M over 8 years will be the ceiling. I believe the money offered will be firm, the term will hold any or all of the contention, IMO. Time will tell.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
IIRC the most Laine can get paid based on this years' cap is $15,000,000, so at least there is a maximum. :D

The most any player can sign for in any year is 20% of the cap ceiling when the contract is signed. Assume the cap goes to $80M next year. Makes max salary $16M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad