Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Outside Looking In
After they sign Laine to his new contract there will be budget cuts at Bell Mts

aa1ae5be461c45f84cf75967c284a329.gif

Sperss1997

Oct 29, 2015
Aarhus
If you make say 100k yearly and suddenly get 800k it will have a huge impact on what you can do with your life.
If you get 7,5 million yearly and get a raise to 10 million it has close to zero impact on your life if you are just half way normal between your ears.
You are set for life with a contract for 6-8 years and your children as well. It will be a huge difference though, to have won a Stanley Cup or three. Been part of something special when your carreer is over.

Greed is a tough thing to battle.

Reactions: Peggy

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Wingers don't make as much as Centers so I would toss out all Center comparables and would show the following list of long term contracts signed relative recently by RFA Wingers

Gaudreau - 6 * $6,75,000 - 9.25% of Cap Ceiling
Pastrnak - 6 * $6,666,666 - 8.89% of Cap Ceiling
Tarasenko - 8 * $7,500,000 - 10.27% of Cap Ceiling
P. Kane - 5 * $6,300,000 - 11.09% of Cap Ceiling
Hall - 7 * $6,000,000 - 10.00% of Cap Ceiling
Forsberg - 6 * $6,000,000 - 8.22% of Cap Ceiling
Ehlers - 7 * $6,000,000 - 8.00% of Cap Ceiling

To me Tarasenko is the high water mark as Drai was signed as a center.

Tarasenko was coming off a 37 goal season when he signed that deal. So I would expect a long term contract would likely be in the 10%+ of the cap ceiling range. So probably an AAV of $8,000,000 to $8,800,000 (if he signs for 11% of an $80,000,000 ceiling).

Laine will be our highest paid player but I don't see a market where he's getting $9+.

My guess is 8 by $8,400,000 (10.5% of Cap Ceiling. A bit more than Tarasenko). Patty Kane's contract was signed a long time ago and the cap was going up at a significantly faster rate at the time. It's almost too old to include so if I were Chevy I'd be arguing to toss it but for these purposes I've showed it.

OV signed a 13 year deal at $9,538,462 which was 16.82% of the Cap Ceiling at the time. He was coming off of a 65 goal 47 assist season. 112 points in 82 games. Arguably the best statistical season of his career.

40+ goal seasons are nice, but they're nowhere near 65 goals.

I agree, and I would put them on par in terms of value. Big difference being Laine will sign 3 0r 4 years after Tarasenko. So perhaps I could live with a bit more than 8x7.5$

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
With these numbers it's easy to get disappointed on July.

The guy is competing for Rocket at 19y, goals have the most value, Drai again signed for 8.5M contract, Eichel 10M. Laine hopefully signs somewhere between, if he does it's a damm steal.

drai's contract is also from bad management
we all know it's not s great contract so why use that an as example?

if it's anything it shows you how not to sign your players

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

It's a precedent. The fact that it wasn't a wise decision won't factor into negotiations.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Because that contract set the new bar, and Laine has destroyed Drai's 1st 2 seasons after the draft.
Drai at 8.5M, Eichel at 10M, McDavid at 12.5M. Good luck at getting Laine for 6-7.5M.

Laine can be the best goal scorer through his prime, imagine having him in 9M range when the superstars are going to be getting 12M+ contracts during the length of Laines 8 year contract.

I don't like Drai's contract at all, you don't like it, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think of it.

Reactions: Halberdier

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Because that contract set the new bar, and Laine has destroyed Drai's 1st 2 seasons after the draft.
Drai at 8.5M, Eichel at 10M, McDavid at 12.5M. Good luck at getting Laine for 6-7.5M.

Laine can be the best goal scorer through his prime, imagine having him in 9M range when the superstars are going to be getting 12M+ contracts during the length of Laines 8 year contract.

I don't like Drai's contract at all, you don't like it, but at the end of the day it doesn't matter what we think of it.

a good manger doesn't allow others dictate how you manage your salary cap

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
a good manger doesn't allow others dictate how you manage your salary cap

It takes more than a Gm to get a deal done.

I hope Laine leaves money on the table but he can ask for the moon with what he has done. He's doing someting no one else from the last 20+ years has done.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
It takes more than a Gm to get a deal done.

I hope Laine leaves money on the table but he can ask for the moon with what he has done. He's doing someting no one else from the last 20+ years has done.

yeah it he's no mcdavid so as a manger I wouldn't agree with that thought process

you gotta handle it like Ricky would

if I could find the scene I'd post it

"I got 4 packs of smokes here's 2. if you wanna shoot me for 4 packs of smokes go ahead"

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
yeah it he's no mcdavid so as a manger I wouldn't agree with that thought process

you gotta handle it like Ricky would

if I could find the scene I'd post it

"I got 4 packs of smokes here's 2. if you wanna shoot me for 4 packs of smokes go ahead"

Who's said 12.5M for Laine?

Eichels career high is 24 in goals, Laine is already at 41 this season, but he deserves 3M less than Eichel?
Goals are the most valuable asset in this league.

You neither treat your franchise guys badly, so they'll need to offer him a fair deal.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Who's said 12.5M for Laine?

Eichels career high is 24 in goals, Laine is already at 41 this season, but he deserves 3M less than Eichel?
Goals are the most valuable asset in this league.

You neither treat your franchise guys badly, so they'll need to offer him a fair deal.

exactly
so if we're gonna go by that logic why didn't ehlers get 10? when he scored 25 goals last year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
exactly
so if we're gonna go by that logic why didn't ehlers get 10? when he scored 25 goals last year

You're going to be disappointed on July.

You should already know the difference('s) between Ehlers, Laine& Eichel.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
then why is it being brought up?

Because it's a precedent.

prec·e·dent
noun
noun: precedent; plural noun: precedents
ˈpresəd(ə)nt
  1. 1.
    an earlier event or action that is regarded as an example or guide to be considered in subsequent similar circumstances.
    "there are substantial precedents for using interactive media in training"
    synonyms:model, exemplar, example, pattern, previous case, prior instance/example
    [TBODY] [/TBODY]

The fact that it was a bad decision by the Oilers is not relevant. It can still be used as a precedent.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
You're going to be disappointed on July.

You should already know the difference('s) between Ehlers, Laine& Eichel.

I know but I'm just saying. you used eichels goals as example, but we all know it doesn't work that way

i hope laine signs for 8 max. I still think he's too raw for that kind of money. needs to get his skates under him still, but I don't think he's worth 9 or 10 million

as I said before the only player I think is worth 10 million is mcdavid

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I know but I'm just saying. you used eichels goals as example, but we all know it doesn't work that way

i hope laine signs for 8 max. I still think he's too raw for that kind of money. needs to get his skates under him still, but I don't think he's worth 9 or 10 million

I don't think he will be raw 2-10 years from now. Not at all. People do not stay teenagers for 10 years.

Besides, he is already TOP-2 overall winger for the Jets and currently (last 15 games or so) TOP-1 forward when he is flying and Scheifele is injured.

Reactions: Rene Saari

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I don't think he will be raw 2-10 years from now. Not at all. People do not stay teenagers for 10 years.

Besides, he is already TOP-2 overall winger for the Jets and currently (last 15 games or so) TOP-1 forward when he is flying and Scheifele is injured.

yeah but I don't like to gamble
you ever play poker? you usually don't go all in hoping to river your card

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
yeah but I don't like to gamble
you ever play poker? you usually don't go all in hoping to river your card

I can't see the gamble here. Even if he didn't have any kind of progress he is already worth more that you were giving to him. And there is just no way that he would not get better over time, unless he got injured big time, but that is the risk for every single contract out there.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

With these kids you don't pay for just what they are worth today.

Goals are the most valuable asset in todays game, which Rocket top3 finisher/winner could you sign for less than 8M today?

Laine again, again, again is scoring goals like no one else as a u20 player, you need to go back 20+ years to find a better goal scorer than him. Laine has had 2 elite seasons since being drafted. Laine was 2nd overall pick, Laine has the potential to be the best winger in his prime, the best goal scorer in the game in his prime, Laine at 19y is already competing for Rocket seriously.
Stop underrating him and raise your expectations for the contract.
If Laine signs 8-9M you should never stop smiling.

Reactions: Naturaledge

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
If Laine signs 8-9M you should honestly thank your lucky stars and never stop smiling.

Yep. He's going to get at least $8M x 6/7/8, IMO. Yes, you're paying for potential, but look at what he's doing at 19 as a gangly, barely grown-up kid. RFA vs. UFA contracts (and buying up UFA years on a big contract) is becoming more important to managing cap.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yep. He's going to get at least $8M x 6/7/8, IMO. Yes, you're paying for potential, but look at what he's doing at 19 as a gangly, barely grown-up kid. RFA vs. UFA contracts (and buying up UFA years on a big contract) is becoming more important to managing cap.

If we are honest McDavid is the only kid on ELC(recent years) who's had a better start to his career, he signed for 12.5M. Laine is not McDavid but still, he's CV wise the 2nd best getting close to the time he can sign his next contract. Matthews injury drops him in comparison to Laine.

It's tough to exactly think what Laine could get due to how long ago the elite snipers were signed to their RFA contracts, Stamkos& Ovy. Tarasenko is a tier below.
With Laine as you say you're not just paying for his potential, you are buying potential+ what he is doing on the ice, and that is competing for the Rocket, the most expensive Trophy.

I still keep hoping Laine leaves money on the table, but we are at a point where he would be leaving money on the table on a 8-9M contract per year.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016

hey I'll be happy with 8m.

but I unno. I feel like 8 million should only go to ppg players

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I can't see the gamble here. Even if he didn't have any kind of progress he is already worth more that you were giving to him. And there is just no way that he would not get better over time, unless he got injured big time, but that is the risk for every single contract out there.

he's not worth more than 7 million right now tho. he's a 7million dollar player because of his goal scoring. when he starts scoring a ppg we can start talking above 7 million. that's how I see it.

I think if you wanna be the only player getting paid then take your 10million, but other players need to get paid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->