Salary Cap: Laine's contract in 19/20

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think it goes like this (assuming 8 year term)

McDavid 12.5
Eichel 10.0
Matthews 10.0
Laine (probably closer to Matthews)
Draisaitl 8.5

The other possibility is a term less than 8 years. I remember when Florida did the Barkov deal they went to him and basically let him decide on 6-7-8 yr term. He went with 7. Ekblad chose 8. Most of the stories about Scheifele were similar and he was quoted as saying he never considered anything but 8.

It really could be up to Laine and his agent. Less term means less AAV but means he’s younger when it’s time to do the next one.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I would love a Stamkos like contract for him. He isn't a center. He does score a ton. I think that level of contract is fair

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think it goes like this (assuming 8 year term)

McDavid 12.5
Eichel 10.0
Matthews 10.0
Laine (probably closer to Matthews)
Draisaitl 8.5

The other possibility is a term less than 8 years. I remember when Florida did the Barkov deal they went to him and basically let him decide on 6-7-8 yr term. He went with 7. Ekblad chose 8. Most of the stories about Scheifele were similar and he was quoted as saying he never considered anything but 8.

It really could be up to Laine and his agent. Less term means less AAV but means he’s younger when it’s time to do the next one.
Bare in mind, you've some ridiculous contracts there. The Eichel deal is/will be a problem imo. Draisatl? Ughhh Chiarelli. That was a horrible contract. I don't think Laine warrants more than 7 x 7. Even that is WAY more than MacKinnon and other comparables.

Reactions: Heldig and ocdaddy

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
It will be between 8-10 M$ and a long one. I hope and believe that he will take team friendly contract because he want to win SC.

If you think cases like McDavid, Laine and Matthews it is quite a gamble for franchise. You tie yourself up with 60-80M$ on relatively small backround/history.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Bear in mind, you've some ridiculous contracts there. The Eichel deal is/will be a problem imo. Draisatl? Ughhh Chiarelli. That was a horrible contract. I don't think Laine warrants more than 7 x 7. Even that is WAY more than MacKinnon and other comparables.

Like it or not the bar has been set for high end RFA’s It is the current market and you can’t ignore those deals. They are the comparable now

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Like it or not the bar has been set for high end RFA’s It is the current market and you can’t ignore those deals. They are the comparable now
Yes, it seems that way, but it will be interested to see how the next RFA deals pan out. I suspect some GMs might look at the Drai and Eich deals as outliers.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
It's hard for me to say, but I know it'll be in the $8-11M range. But I think Chevy might give him crazy signing bonuses. Although, I think it'll be likely 8 years.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
The biggest sticking point might actually be signing bonuses for the lockout year.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes, it seems that way, but it will be interested to see how the next RFA deals pan out. I suspect some GMs might look at the Drai and Eich deals as outliers.

The agents won’t ignore it. If Chevy for instance ignores reality, then Laine holds off signing for another year. If Chevy continues then Laine chooses a bridge deal $5-6M and then he acquires arb rights for the third contract. It’s why you can’t ignore the Market

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
It will be between 8-10 M$ and a long one. I hope and believe that he will take team friendly contract because he want to win SC.

If you think cases like McDavid, Laine and Matthews it is quite a gamble for franchise. You tie yourself up with 60-80M$ on relatively small backround/history.

You would think that the player would realize what a gamble that is as well. You leave your team less options for building a great team around you for success.

Kamo

Jul 10, 2011
Few things to consider. Does he sign this off season? Does he finish with 40? 50? The rocket? Does he sign a team friendly deal?

I honestly think the range for Laine is 8 years at 7-10.5 mil. Obviously I'm being extremely optimistic with the 7 but with Scheifele's contract I think it gives Chevy a tool I negotiations to say hey look at your number one centers salary don't you want to take a pay cut and build something special. Wishful thinking.

Reactions: Peggy and Ippenator

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
You would think that the player would realize what a gamble that is as well. You leave your team less options for building a great team around you for success.

The cap is rising. I don’t think the goal will be to bust the bank but he won’t give himself away either. That range is pretty fair IMO

Vekke

Feb 28, 2018
Offcourse and it can be really a burden for player also. Lets say that Laine makes a 70M$ deal next summer and plays like he did until decmber. There would be huge ****storm.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
I'm gonna post this valuable resource for Chevy & Co. right here:

Amish Negotiations Settle Conflicts [journal article review] | Peaceful Societies

Looks like steady negotiation without conflict is the way to go:

The common element among [the Amish/star winger Patrik Laine] in settling disputes is that they are nearly as opposed to confrontations in courtrooms as they are to fighting in any other way. They are strongly opposed to hostilities of any kind, so they try to find other ways to handle contentious issues.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
would have hit 40 as a 18 year old, will hit 40+ as a 19 year old. unprecedented numbers for the kid.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
I hope he takes a hometown discount because he presumably loves the city, fans and teammates :help:.
This team better win it all in the next two seasons or we'll see some big moves having to be made.

Reactions: Ippenator

Critical Mass

Feb 6, 2011
I think the Jets are going to try to sign him for maximum term. And I think it's really easy to compare Laine to Ovechkin as a player. Therefore, we should expect to see a contract with similar numbers.

I'm going to guess it will take at least $10 million aav to sign Laine to a long term deal. And I think that's a fair market rate. If Chevy can get it done for less than $10m, he's a genius.

Reactions: Board Bard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad