Laine v Matthews. Ceiling/Potential

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Even with the sites going down, you'd think we'd be able to find it easily amongst the 38 Calder threads and however many articles written about these players last year. I just spent 10 minutes googling and the only thing I could find was this: https://editorinleaf.com/2017/08/15/toronto-maple-leafs-marner-matthews-nhl/

Anyway, I dont doubt that Matthews spent over 90% of his time with Matthews at 5 on 5. The numbers I was referring to were even strength and as I said, I can't reference them because the sites are down. But that link seems to back up what I was saying. There is no evidence that Matthews was boosting Nylander/Hyman's possession numbers and the only evidence we have suggests the contrary (but it's only ~200 mins). Given that he spent so much time with Hyman/Nylander and how well that line did, we should expect his Corsi Rel stats to be high.

Adam Lowry spent his rookie season with Michael Frolik (possession monster) and finished with a 54% Corsi and a Corsi Rel of +3. The next season, without Frolik, his Corsi numbers went to 46% and -6.8. That's not what I expect to happen with Matthews but more of a cautionary tale on just how much these things matter.

If these threads were more civil and didn't turn into the trench warfare where each side needs to vilify the others player to make a point,, I suspect Jets fans would agree that Matthews was the better 200 foot player in 2016-17 and that Leafs fans would admit that Matthews, despite having a monster season Corsi wise, still needs some more experience before we can say he' can carry a line and drive play by himself, regardless of teammates etc

Sorry if I'm not being clear, but the sample size of Matthews w/o Hyman is too ridiculously small to draw any conclusions. I watched almost every single Leafs game last year and Hyman never actually played away from Matthews at 5v5 for any full game, so we're talking about ~200 mins of TOI made up of 2-3 random shifts per game in varying game situations (after a PK b/c Hyman just came off, after a PP, etc). How/why would anyone reasonably try to draw conclusions based on that.

What's especially weird is that the argument against Laine's 5v5 possession isn't based on a small ~200 min sample. He spent enough time with enough players for us to reasonably conclude he wasn't good at driving play in any real capacity last year. That probably changes with time but I don't know how/why we have to pretend it wasn't the case last season when all of the data says it was.

EDIT: Found WOWY charts on HockeyViz. Notice the difference in where most of the with/without squares fall for Laine and Matthews. Looks like Laine mostly had a negative impact on everyone while Matthews mostly had a positive impact on everyone:

lainepa98

matthau97

Last edited:

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
His point is that laine kept up (and exceeded foe a big part of the season) with matthews that season despite all those things he had against him.

Thing is tho matthews had thing against him too.

The problem is that everything "going against" Laine--other than the injury--is immeasurable in terms of impact on production.

The one big thing that "went against" Matthews and "went for" Laine that is measurable and proven to have a significant impact on production is quality of linemates. Unfortunately, I think you're the only Laine fan that recognizes this.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Why is this still going on? It was "meaningful" I suppose during the Calder race as they were in direct competition with each other. Now as a Leaf fan I could care less about Laine other than my interest in players across the league. The Leafs and Jets are not rivals, they play each twice a year and can't play in the playoffs unless it's for a Cup.

Furthermore more the 2 players being compared are so vastly different from each other that comparisons are difficult. They play almost opposite styles of games that to compare them is quite unfair to both players. Using production as the only basis for a comparison is a flawed exercise. Or do you believe that Vlassic and Petry have the same value?

Also don't understand why people are talking trash or giving excuses for either player. Both seasons were pretty phenomenal. Laine being 2nd to Matthews is no slight. Especially when looking at Matthews season as a whole.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Woe. Leafs fqns think that Matthews is even close to Laine. He is not in the same tier as McDavid and Laine in terms of potential. Sure, he was lucky to score what, 4 goals more than Laine last season. Big deal. Let's see how badly Matthews gets outscored this season. I am guessing 65 points for Matthews and 80 points(50 goals) for Laine.

Who's poster is this? Oh the Oilers, nvm, that explains everything.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
What are you even talking about? Ok injuries matter. Sure. They affect development. Sure. Maybe Laine would be even better now if he never got hurt, and would be the greatest hockey player who ever lived. Sure.

But he did get hurt. he did miss portions of summers, fine. So did a lot of people. Nolan patrick is hurt every week, Rielly missed about 6 months with an ACL surgery in his draft year, Jake C had shoulder and concussion issues, same with Galchenyuk. Annnnnnd guess what. MATTHEWS BROKE HIS LEG PRE DRAFT too.

The mistake you are making is assuming he has some sort of crazy higher level of development that others don't have. For you to make that assumption, you would have to know how injured all of these players were in their development. There is no reason to assume that he would develop faster during the same amount of time (they all get a summer) because he broke his leg years ago. He is 7 months younger. He will be 7 months younger too. Matthews doesnt get locked in a cage for 7 months to let laine catch up. He doesn't just have to get better than he was last year, he has to catch up and improve on other peoples improvments. Can it happen, sure. Acting like it is a foregone conclusion is foolish.

You are saying that he improved greatly over the FEL year. Sure, but that could also be recovery and learning how to skate properly again. It doesn't mean that he will continue to improve by leaps and bounds forever.

2.) His board battles in my opinion show a lack of compete. He does fly bys and waits for the play. Marner looks like a 12 year old girl and he wins more board battles.

3.) I have no idea what you mean by your last paragraph. In TWS crazy land where we come up with these alternate universes, no I dont think if Matthews had the exact same experience (NLA, WHC, WCH) but was magically 7 months younger (ie he was allowed to go into the NLA early by special exemption) it would change anything. It is experience and effort that matters. Your muscles don't know what year it is. If you want to know if I think he went straight into the NHL last year and skipped the NLA, I don't think he would have scored 40 goals. But he would have come straight from junior. He wouldn't have had pro experience, or the WCH and WHC which matter.

But if Laine was secretly born in the US and decided to go to the USNDTP and also didnt have pro, world cup etc experience, he wouldn't have done as well either.

The fact that you have to come up with these ridiculous hypotheticals and are inferring real life results should tell you who is winning this one.

First you say "so what" if Laine was injured and even dragged out examples to prove a point of that having no effect on development and now you are proclaiming that it might be a factor after all. Seems to me you have some trouble deciding or you just go along and come up with stuff whether or not it has any actual value in regards to context. Furthermore, what on earth do Galchenyuk, Rielly, Nolan etc have to do with this? They got injured and most likely the injuries had effect on their progress, while likely the actual impact depending how far they were into their respective careers. Look at Nolan for example, if he actually was able to stay healthy and develop normally, I think he would have been the sure thing #1 pick of the draft as he was touted for long ago. Instead he's been on an injury-spree that has dropped his stocks big time. He only enforces the point so good work bringing it up. That said, I wasn't referring to single injuries but consistent missed out back-to-back off-seasons while being at ages of 15-18. You know, the years that are arguably the most crucial what comes to player development? I'd might have expected a reply like "sure but the difference isn't that much" but at the very first post you basically proclaimed these as a non-factor, which to me defies the common logic to it's very foundations and it makes me wonder whether the replies was more bound to bias or just lack on understanding how teenagers become hockey players.

I have no frigging idea what this even means:
"He doesn't just have to get better than he was last year, he has to catch up and improve on other peoples improvments."

I think you are missing the point here. Yes, Matthews will always remain 7 months older and Laine could still remain behind come next season. What I/we are arguing, is that he has a higher ceiling, which means he should bypass Matthews as a hockey player. That doesn't mean it has to happen within a year, but rather eventually, anywhere from one year to five years (by then the age has become a non-factor). The meaning of the 7 months age cap will diminish the further on we go. I have not proclaimed that Laine will with 100% certainty reach that ceiling, yet if he does, he'll be the better of the two.

Matthews being better at board game is the result of being physically more polished and having more overall strength to wrestle. Marner on the other hand plays a different game and while he may be good at getting puck out of the walls, he's not the type that actually engages on the physical game as much. Also I think Laine had trouble using his long stick in tight spots. I noticed as much as well. He'll figure it out. Both of the other two were already more accustomed to NA rinks while Laine had practically zero experience so he had to adjust. That played a part no doubt and cannot be factored out either. It seems to come so natural from you to compare Leafs prospects to others while ignoring the age factor/benefit (Marner being over a year older and Matthews 7 months).

I asked you plain out "would Matthews have scored 40 goals in the rookie season if he was at the same age as Laine while entering the NHL" and I even pointed out the fact that he was playing in the Switzerland at the time just to clarify and get the "honest" and accurate answer. You said it made no difference and that he would have done it just the same. Now your talking about pro-league experience and what not, while also changing the stance/answer at the same time. You didn't only correspond to the injury related argument (of whether it does or doesn't have effect on development) but also the "would Matthews have been the same player while scoring the same amount of goals at Laine's age". It seems like your just typing whatever replies without putting any thought into it (basically writing what you'd like to hear/believe), then later on when confronted, altering the storyline to match up the reality.

Seriously, when getting multitude of different answers given the same questions, I'm wondering if the questions themselves are too complicated or what's the root source of the variations? Please, feel free to elaborate.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Lol Finnish and jets fans never changed.

Despite how much you guys wanted it to be true last hear, Laine is not and never will be better.

Matthews dominated him last uear and that won't change. These jets and Finnish fans make me laugh lmfao

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Sorry if I'm not being clear, but the sample size of Matthews w/o Hyman is too ridiculously small to draw any conclusions. I watched almost every single Leafs game last year and Hyman never actually played away from Matthews at 5v5 for any full game, so we're talking about ~200 mins of TOI made up of 2-3 random shifts per game in varying game situations (after a PK b/c Hyman just came off, after a PP, etc). How/why would anyone reasonably try to draw conclusions based on that.

What's especially weird is that the argument against Laine's 5v5 possession isn't based on a small ~200 min sample. He spent enough time with enough players for us to reasonably conclude he wasn't good at driving play in any real capacity last year. That probably changes with time but I don't know how/why we have to pretend it wasn't the case last season when all of the data says it was.

EDIT: Found WOWY charts on HockeyViz. Notice the difference in where most of the with/without squares fall for Laine and Matthews. Looks like Laine mostly had a negative impact on everyone while Matthews mostly had a positive impact on everyone:

lainepa98

matthau97

Yeah, I think we are mostly on the same page. I wasn't bringing up the WOWY stats to say "Matthews actually sucks and here is why" it was moreso to pose the question - "are we 100% SURE that Matthews is the one driving the play on that line?". His possession numbers are great overall but his results away from Nylander and Hyman are kinda troubling, even if they are a small sample. There are other factors, as well. Babcock had the 30th place 2015-16 Leafs teams as a positive Corsi team, which is astounding. I don't doubt that coaching is another advantage to the Leafs and Matthews in the possession game.

Regardless, after accounting for all the factors - WOWY, zone starts, coaching, Laine's 2nd half improvement, etc - there is no debtate that Matthews outperformed Laine in possession last year. Still, they are kids and I expect both players to improve significantly - particularly in the 200 foot game - over the next 3-5 years at which time we will have the answer to this poll.

Coincidentally, the WOWY differences between the two players just reinforces that Matthews was more refined/ready last year and Laine was more raw - which is a theme throughout this thread. As I said several pages ago - just because Laine was more raw, that doesnt mean he has another level to hit and Matthews doesn't. Thats why I voted a tie.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
First you say "so what" if Laine was injured and even dragged out examples to prove a point of that having no effect on development and now you are proclaiming that it might be a factor after all. Seems to me you have some trouble deciding or you just go along and come up with stuff whether or not it has any actual value in regards to context. Furthermore, what on earth do Galchenyuk, Rielly, Nolan etc have to do with this? They got injured and most likely the injuries had effect on their progress, while likely the actual impact depending how far they were into their respective careers. Look at Nolan for example, if he actually was able to stay healthy and develop normally, I think he would have been the sure thing #1 pick of the draft as he was touted for long ago. Instead he's been on an injury-spree that has dropped his stocks big time. He only enforces the point so good work bringing it up. That said, I wasn't referring to single injuries but consistent missed out back-to-back off-seasons while being at ages of 15-18. You know, the years that are arguably the most crucial what comes to player development? I'd might have expected a reply like "sure but the difference isn't that much" but at the very first post you basically proclaimed these as a non-factor, which to me defies the common logic to it's very foundations and it makes me wonder whether the replies was more bound to bias or just lack on understanding how teenagers become hockey players.

I have no frigging idea what this even means:
"He doesn't just have to get better than he was last year, he has to catch up and improve on other peoples improvments."

I think you are missing the point here. Yes, Matthews will always remain 7 months older and Laine could still remain behind come next season. What I/we are arguing, is that he has a higher ceiling, which means he should bypass Matthews as a hockey player. That doesn't mean it has to happen within a year, but rather eventually, anywhere from one year to five years (by then the age has become a non-factor). The meaning of the 7 months age cap will diminish the further on we go. I have not proclaimed that Laine will with 100% certainty reach that ceiling, yet if he does, he'll be the better of the two.

Matthews being better at board game is the result of being physically more polished and having more overall strength to wrestle. Marner on the other hand plays a different game and while he may be good at getting puck out of the walls, he's not the type that actually engages on the physical game as much. Also I think Laine had trouble using his long stick in tight spots. I noticed as much as well. He'll figure it out. Both of the other two were already more accustomed to NA rinks while Laine had practically zero experience so he had to adjust. That played a part no doubt and cannot be factored out either. It seems to come so natural from you to compare Leafs prospects to others while ignoring the age factor/benefit (Marner being over a year older and Matthews 7 months).

I asked you plain out "would Matthews have scored 40 goals in the rookie season if he was at the same age as Laine while entering the NHL" and I even pointed out the fact that he was playing in the Switzerland at the time just to clarify and get the "honest" and accurate answer. You said it made no difference and that he would have done it just the same. Now your talking about pro-league experience and what not, while also changing the stance/answer at the same time. You didn't only correspond to the injury related argument (of whether it does or doesn't have effect on development) but also the "would Matthews have been the same player while scoring the same amount of goals at Laine's age". It seems like your just typing whatever replies without putting any thought into it (basically writing what you'd like to hear/believe), then later on when confronted, altering the storyline to match up the reality.

Seriously, when getting multitude of different answers given the same questions, I'm wondering if the questions themselves are too complicated or what's the root source of the variations? Please, feel free to elaborate.

Oh lord.. Ok here is what I am saying. The question is who has a higher ceiling? Sure, well considering they are the same draft year, the best place to start at is "who is currently the better player".

The question when asked to all other than a 10 person fan club and 1 "neutral observer" who hates everything Leafs is Matthews. Auston Matthews was a consensus better player in 2016, and 2017. The most logical starting point here is that he will continue to be the better player, with the potential for change due to mitigating circumstances. That's where you come in. Because all Laine/jets fans (because they are different) have is "what if", when leaf fans and the hockey world have "what is". Auston Matthews is currently and has been a better player than Laine in the past.

Laineatics used to argue that he would be better than Matthews last year. Didn't happen, so then we shift the goal post to higher ceiling in the future. Again there is no objective reasoning as to why this would be, or evidence to back up what is a higher ceiling, just that you really want it to be true. So now we use "improvement rate" arguing that although Matthews is the better player now, and has been considered to be so for years, Laine is improving faster, and therefore will overtake him.

The problem with this is that you have no idea whether he is actually improving faster than Matthews, or other players in general. That is the point. You didn't watch Matthews at 15-16, you don't know how much he improved. You didn't watch other people with horrific injuries (rielly in junior) to see how well they improved or bounced back. You can't compare the improvement rates coming back from an injury and assume that they are linear (they aren't or else he would have gotten better as the year went on) or if they are faster than other players. You are assuming that since he had injuries (which many players have in pre-draft years) and he bounced back quickly, this is unique to him, and he has a higher improvement rate than other players. You have NO evidence of this.

Put Simply. Car #34 is currently ahead in a race. Car 29 is behind but accelerating. You are assuming that car 29 will pass 34, because it is gaining speed. BUT you don't know how fast car 34 is also increasing, so thats just foolish.

As for the ridiculous example about the NLA and whatever you are talking about. My thoughts are

1.) professional experience matters. Playing in the WCH and WHC and a pro men's league matters. Those experiences helped Matthews, so if he did not have those experiences, I don't think that he would have done as well. BUT if he had those experiences 7 months earlier, that would not change anything.

2.) Professional experience matters for laine too. Playing in the WCH and WHC and a pro mens league helped him too. If he did not have those experiences I don't think he would have done as well, even if he entered the league 7 months later.

I tried to answer your questions, but I don't know what is going on in your fantasy land. Heck if we give laine rocket boots and let him shoot the puck out of a cannon, he might be better. But in the real world, where both players are in the same draft year and have had similar experiences in their D and D1 years, Matthews has clearly been better.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
When you're at the gym, they say to use perfect form to increase the amount you can lift as well as ensure you are developing as quickly and properly as possible. It might appear to make sets go by faster when you're using improper form, and you might be able to say "If I can do 50 pound bicep curls with bad form, imagine how much I can do when I improve in that area", but the fact remains you're not doing yourself any favours in terms of development, and you still have room to grow even if your form is perfect in polished. In fact that's what makes it easiest to grow, and it's the same here

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Lol Finnish and jets fans never changed.

Despite how much you guys wanted it to be true last hear, Laine is not and never will be better.

Matthews dominated him last uear and that won't change. These jets and Finnish fans make me laugh lmfao

He certainly did not dominate him last year 5 more points in 9 more games is not domination and he 1000% didn't dominate him in head to head matches last year either! Never change man. LOL no one believes this. I doubt even you do. What a bunch of baloney.

Both were great for rookies last year and while Laine was healthy last year through 60 games. The Calder was certainly a toss up.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
When you're at the gym, they say to use perfect form to increase the amount you can lift as well as ensure you are developing as quickly and properly as possible. It might appear to make sets go by faster when you're using improper form, and you might be able to say "If I can do 50 pound bicep curls with bad form, imagine how much I can do when I improve in that area", but the fact remains you're not doing yourself any favours in terms of development, and you still have room to grow even if your form is perfect in polished. In fact that's what makes it easiest to grow, and it's the same here
tl:dr you don't know how to answer and ramble on.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
tl:dr you don't know how to answer and ramble on.

I think it's a helpful analogy so that certain people can understand why the only logical way to view the players is that it's easier for the more developed one to improve easier. Sorry if you're annoyed that your player is in the dust

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
Yeah, I think we are mostly on the same page. I wasn't bringing up the WOWY stats to say "Matthews actually sucks and here is why" it was moreso to pose the question - "are we 100% SURE that Matthews is the one driving the play on that line?". His possession numbers are great overall but his results away from Nylander and Hyman are kinda troubling, even if they are a small sample. There are other factors, as well. Babcock had the 30th place 2015-16 Leafs teams as a positive Corsi team, which is astounding. I don't doubt that coaching is another advantage to the Leafs and Matthews in the possession game.

Regardless, after accounting for all the factors - WOWY, zone starts, coaching, Laine's 2nd half improvement, etc - there is no debtate that Matthews outperformed Laine in possession last year. Still, they are kids and I expect both players to improve significantly - particularly in the 200 foot game - over the next 3-5 years at which time we will have the answer to this poll.

Coincidentally, the WOWY differences between the two players just reinforces that Matthews was more refined/ready last year and Laine was more raw - which is a theme throughout this thread. As I said several pages ago - just because Laine was more raw, that doesnt mean he has another level to hit and Matthews doesn't. Thats why I voted a tie.

I still don't see how the bolded is a reasonable conclusion when looking at the chart I posted. Nylander is a possession beast but the difference between Matthews w/o Nylander and Nylander w/o Matthews is minimal.

Meanwhile almost every single other player sees an increase in their possession differentials when playing with Matthews versus when playing without Matthews.

Lastly Hyman's numbers without Matthews tank almost 3x worse than Matthews numbers without Hyman so I really, really don't see how/why the assumption is that Hyman helps Matthews' possession more than Matthews helps Hyman's since that's exactly the opposite of what the numbers say.

I think we're on the same page about Laine, but you're making some really weird leaps in logic when it comes to Matthews and none of it seems to be based on objective data.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
I think it's a helpful analogy so that certain people can understand why the only logical way to view the players is that it's easier for the more developed one to improve easier. Sorry if you're annoyed that your player is in the dust
I had an epiphany when I went to smoke after answering this comment.

I had a buttholery answer written here that you may be answering to, but I realized you guys are just unrelenting in trying to make Laine seem bad so why comment on them.

Last edited:

TDK67

Apr 17, 2016
I'm sorry that your "analogy"* was poor and whatever "logic" you seem to think it had was non-existent. Wish your matthews the best for the next season though.

*the " " were used loosely here as there was not much content worth mentioning in your post. Basically rambling.

It was an interesting analogy. Seems like it just rubbed you the wrong way because it wasn't favorable to Laine. That doesn't make it "poor" or devoid of logic.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It was an interesting analogy. Seems like it just rubbed you the wrong way because it wasn't favorable to Laine. That doesn't make it "poor" or devoid of logic.

Cheers. I think we can all agree Matthews is the better player at this point with more polish. The thing is that some people don't agree that it means he has a lot of room to grow anymore, but I don't think that stands up to scrutiny. There are so many things you can compare it to beyond hockey that can hopefully build understanding, but the point remains that it's easiest to build up with a superior base

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Whatever man, you wouldn't make a positive comment on anything Laine does. To you he actually doesn't care about winning or his teammates and should look up to matthews for that. Save your preaching.

This is again one of those times when I shouldn't even comment and won't after this. Helps not to see your posts in the future too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad