Injury Report: Laine injury PANIC! PANIC! OH GOD PANIC! thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
You can check their stats if you want. They both had very few blocks ever since the leauge started to keep stats on them. I think that the risk/reward ratio is pretty bad when blocking shots and they probably thought so too, judging by their shot blocking stats.

Of course there are high danger situations in crucial games when you throw everything you've got in front of the puck, but as a rule of thumb Laine should just face the shot and try to get a stick in the lane instead of doing soccer saves with his feet.

Re-read my post. I'm not debating whether Jagr or Selanne had lots of blocks or not. I know they didn't because elite / high skill players were utilized differently back then. Your big scorers weren't asked to defend, block shots, or PK.

Nowadays, that is part of being a skilled NHL players. Don't compare Laine to Jagr or Selanne, compare him to Stamkos, Crosby, or any other elite forward.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Hopefully one or the other wins it outright, even though its so close. My money is on Laine. Tie would be the worst, like in 2009-2010 when Stammer and Sid both ended up with 51 goals, with Stammer tying Sid on an EN goal :thumbd:
A tie would be kind neat IMO. Ovie passing on the torch to Laine, his biggest fan since he was kid and who is now his toughest competitor. Then from next season and for years to come Laine can keep it for himself.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
A tie would be kind neat IMO. Ovie passing on the torch to Laine, his biggest fan since he was kid and who is now his toughest competitor. Then from next season and for years to come Laine can keep it for himself.

Call me crazy, but it's fun to think of the number of goals Laine can score in a season where he is on a line that works for him and he stays injury free and he gets stronger.

I have trouble wrapping my brain around the fact that he is even in this race at 19 years old...

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
he quit easily can up seasons where he put up at least one goal per game march show. this what to expect. i wait for 100 over goal season. one coming soon season now he put up more goals to scoreboards than matthews put up Points. <this will silencio THIS lolly comparizon. like end of talks. thanks

Sir avgard hockeyprofssor

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think this injury sucks cause it makes it significantly less probable that we'll see him playing in Copenhagen in May.

I don't want him near our national team unless its' the World Cup or Olympics.

a) I want him to spent his time after the NHL season training and becoming the best player possible
b)help the Jets for for long runs.

Am I seeing skate protectors on Laine?

Haven't felt such frustration since last year when Laine went down for the first time. Then competing for Calder and now when competing for the Rocket (oh the irony!) where one might even say that he had the upper hand considering the recent games. Can't but hope he doesn't lose more than a few games max and still has a shot. If not, then for the playoffs we wait.

Stars/superstars shouldn't be playing 82 game regular seasons.

Success in the playoffs should be the #1 priority.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
he quit easily can up seasons where he put up at least one goal per game march show. this what to expect. i wait for 100 over goal season. one coming soon season now he put up more goals to scoreboards than matthews put up Points. <this will silencio THIS lolly comparizon. like end of talks. thanks

Avgard is back , Laine must be playing tonight . :laugh:

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Re-read my post. I'm not debating whether Jagr or Selanne had lots of blocks or not. I know they didn't because elite / high skill players were utilized differently back then. Your big scorers weren't asked to defend, block shots, or PK.

Nowadays, that is part of being a skilled NHL players. Don't compare Laine to Jagr or Selanne, compare him to Stamkos, Crosby, or any other elite forward.
What era are you talking about when you say "back then"? These stats are pretty fresh. I was referring to this era (or maybe this is a new era – the Laine era :D)

Teemu Selanne Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Jaromir Jagr Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

These guys are regarded as pretty spectacular players, and they block much less shots than Laine, who has blocked 0,5 shots/GP:

Nikita Kucherov, NHL points leader, 0,2 BkS/GP this season
Alex Ovechkin, NHL goals leader, 0,2 BkS/GP this season
Nathan MacKinnon, 0,3 BkS/GP this season

NHL.com - Stats

If Laine wants to block shots, he needs learn from the best and do it properly if he wants to stay healthy. Anyway I hope he plays more like these guys above. Less, injuries = more GP = more goals = more wins.

Reactions: Ippenator

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
What era are you talking about when you say "back then"? These stats are pretty fresh. I was referring to this era (or maybe this is a new era – the Laine era :D)

Teemu Selanne Stats | Hockey-Reference.com
Jaromir Jagr Stats | Hockey-Reference.com

These guys are regarded as pretty spectacular players, and they block much less shots than Laine, who has blocked 0,5 shots/GP:

Nikita Kucherov, NHL points leader, 0,2 BkS/GP this season
Alex Ovechkin, NHL goals leader, 0,2 BkS/GP this season
Nathan MacKinnon, 0,3 BkS/GP this season

NHL.com - Stats

If Laine wants to block shots, he needs learn from the best and do it properly if he wants to stay healthy. Anyway I hope he plays more like these guys above. Less, injuries = more GP = more goals = more wins.

I agree in principle. However I would argue that the way Laine plays (other than blocking shots) will result in way less injuries than MacKinnon in the long run.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I agree in principle. However I would argue that the way Laine plays (other than blocking shots) will result in way less injuries than MacKinnon in the long run.
I think so too, I just used him as an example to show that blocking less shots does not make a player less competitive or valuable. Laine really needs to stop turning sideways when blocking. I've seen him do it many times and I've thought to myself that it's just a matter of time until his out with a broken foot. I remember that in on game earlier this season he left the ice after doing the same sideways blocking thing, although he returned to the game later. I hope he learned his lesson this time.

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC

At first I thought you were Finnish. Then I thought no, he's Russian. Never had you for Italian though.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
At first I thought you were Finnish. Then I thought no, he's Russian. Never had you for Italian though.

It's hard to pretend to be a stupid Finnish guy with all those typos when you aren't a Finnish guy at all. Someone tries to be funny and more clever than he is with this performance.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
lol @ this thread 16 pages of panic and he didn't even miss a game and looked good doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad