Laine + Ehlers vs Matthews + Nylander

Which Duo is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
I honestly thought Ehlers was doing better than he was this year, surprised to see him having about the same numbers as Willie.

Matthews is the better and more complete player than Laine and thus this should go to the Leafs.

I don't really mind it being close because I think the case can be made, but the fact that it is a clear lead for Laine and Ehlers is a joke.

Ehlers=Nylander and there is NO GM that would take Laine over Matthews, Laine might be a slightly better goal scorer (although even that is debatable, but it can be given to him), but that's where it ends.
Enough with the NO GM stuff. It depends on team needs.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Enough with the NO GM stuff. It depends on team needs.

Cs>LWs.

The only team that might consider it would be the Pens and even then, would it really matter as the Pens with Matthews or Laine are winning the cup easily.

You're just nitpicking, it's "pretty much NO GM" as there is only 1 team that you could honestly make the case for not taking Matthews due to them having 2 generational centers on the team already, although in the long run having Matthews is better than having Laine due to his position.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
This poll is 51/49 favouring the Jets duo! Impressive. I took the Leafs since Nylander quite clearly has a higher upside than Ehlers (and already isn't that far back on him). Matthews and Laine pretty much a push depending on what your team needs. Also, the two C vs. wingers also plays into this as they are just inherently more valuable.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
Cs>LWs.

The only team that might consider it would be the Pens and even then, would it really matter as the Pens with Matthews or Laine are winning the cup easily.

You're just nitpicking, it's "pretty much NO GM" as there is only 1 team that you could honestly make the case for not taking Matthews due to them having 2 generational centers on the team already, although in the long run having Matthews is better than having Laine due to his position.
I think Edmonton and Florida takes Laine, Winnipeg might with Scheifele and Little (And should with Stastny now). Likely a few others too.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Cs>LWs.

Islanders, Florida, Edmonton would likely pick up the Jets Duo(IMO) as well and nearly every team with a 1C already would have a debate over it.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
I think Edmonton and Florida takes Laine, Winnipeg might with Scheifele and Little (And should with Stastny now). Likely a few others too.

I think Edmonton takes Matthews every day all day, Drai goes back on McDavid's wing and they become 1A 2A c's like Pittsburgh. At that point they deal RNH and get some defensive help.

Trocheck is definitely an excellent 2c, but the same rule applies to him, I also don't see why he couldn't become like Kadri (not saying Naz is better because I personally think Vince has higher upside) in being a 3C with offensive responsibilities as well or they could just deal him and roll with Matthews and Barkov.

I also don't see why we're including Winni, are we cloning Laine now? Why would they of all teams have two Laines (if theoretically possible) when they could run Schife and Mats down the middle and still keep Patrick?

I think all of these teams is a real stretch in them wanting Laine over Matthews.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Cleatus

Nov 21, 2008
Calgary, AB, CAN
As of now Matthews > Laine, and Ehlers > Nylander, but it’s close between both comparisons. As a fan of both teams, I choose the Matthews-Nylander duo by slight edge, helped by positional importance (one full time center, and one who can play center).

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Islanders, Florida, Edmonton would likely pick up the Jets Duo(IMO) as well and nearly every team with a 1C already would have a debate over it.

Islanders are likely about to lose JT for nothing, although I will grant them as being "possibly" interested in Laine over the other teams (if JT resigns).

Trocheck is nice at 2C, but moving him to 3C or trading him for other help and having Matthews is WAY nicer and obviously Drai is nicer on McDavid's wing than not and having Matthews as the "2c" would allow that to happen.

goblin3

Mar 23, 2014
I think Edmonton takes Matthews every day all day, Drai goes back on McDavid's wing and they become 1A 2A c's like Pittsburgh. At that point they deal RNH and get some defensive help.

Trocheck is definitely an excellent 2c, but the same rule applies to him, I also don't see why he couldn't become like Kadri (not saying Naz is better because I personally think Vince has higher upside) in being a 3C with offensive responsibilities as well or they could just deal him and roll with Matthews and Barkov.

I also don't see why we're including Winni, are we cloning Laine now? Why would they of all teams have two Laines (if theoretically possible) when they could run Schife and Mats down the middle and still keep Patrick?

I think all of these teams is a real stretch in them wanting Laine over Matthews.
Edmonton and Florida don't need another centerman, what they need is a goal scoring winger.

As for Winnipeg, I meant they wouldn't swap Laine and Matthews if given the chance.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Edmonton and Florida don't need another centerman, what they need is a goal scoring winger.

As for Winnipeg, I meant they wouldn't swap Laine and Matthews if given the chance.

I guess we're just gonna ignore Pittsburgh's success with 2 1cs because Teams have solid 2nd line centers....lol.

And yeah winny wouldn't now due to them being close enough and sentimentality, go back to the draft and give them the 1st and see if they take Laine then.

Honestly you can make the thread asking Florida, Pittsburgh, Edmonton and the Islanders fans who they would take and we can see what the results say.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
This poll is 51/49 favouring the Jets duo! Impressive. I took the Leafs since Nylander quite clearly has a higher upside than Ehlers (and already isn't that far back on him). Matthews and Laine pretty much a push depending on what your team needs. Also, the two C vs. wingers also plays into this as they are just inherently more valuable.
Do you even watch Ehlers play? You do Know he and Nylander is from the same draft right?

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Get this **** out of here. Own our rink, that's laughable. We're not ****ing Ottawa here (no offense Sens fans).

I think Ottawa actually has more fans then you...

Infographic: Canada's favourite NHL team by region, generation, sex - Sportsnet.ca

SN-CAN-NHL-TEAM.jpg

Just be thankful you didn't live within driving distance of Toronto or it would be worse than it already is.

If you don't want to come across as obvious...maybe start making comparison threads with great players from smaller markets?

Otherwise I look at it as inferiority complex coming out because our fans cheer "go leafs go" in your barn fairly loudly...and it's annoying.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I think Ottawa actually has more fans then you...

Infographic: Canada's favourite NHL team by region, generation, sex - Sportsnet.ca

SN-CAN-NHL-TEAM.jpg

Just be thankful you didn't live within driving distance of Toronto or it would be worse than it already is.

If you don't want to come across as obvious...maybe start making comparison threads with great players from smaller markets?

Otherwise I look at it as inferiority complex coming out because our fans cheer "go leafs go" in your barn fairly loudly...and it's annoying.

That’s funny because I haven’t heard it once in the MTS Centre...

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
That’s funny because I haven’t heard it once in the MTS Centre...

I hear it all the time.

Don't feel bad bro. You are not alone.

29 other teams with amazing players to pick from. But we both know why you picked the Leafs.

:)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The Oilers and Panthers may very well opt to do just that, though that’s likely the result of them being horribly managed teams than anything else

Binister

Generational User
Feb 7, 2017
LOL, yes civil and polite, until you attacked my opinion, told me to use common sense and called me a kid.

If there was a poll last year while Laine was hurt than you can link it, because I don’t recall there being one. Regardless, Laine just scored 40 goals and since then all you fanboys have started slithering out of your holes and can’t keep Matthews out of your posts, it’s pretty awesome at how shook you people are that you wait all this time for an opportunity to chest-thump, and do it while Matthews is injured.

I voted, simple, your the one who’s rattled because I pointed out that Matthews was having the far better season between the two at the time of his injury, your the one who’s quoting me.

No, it’s stupid. This is like making a poll pitting Mitch Marner against Jack Eichel and arguing Marner is better because he has more points, ignoring where they were at when Eichel was healthy and that his injury is the only reason Marner pulled ahead. It would also be pitting a C against a W. This is the same argument, except Matthews faces tougher comp and is way, way better defensively than Laine.

He looks like a fat amish kid who got kicked in the head by his horse?

Like Sloth from The Goonies if he were an albino and grew a bad beard?

Hot-streaks are fun, but considering Matthews was leading before injury he would likely be leading now if it hadn’t happened, because he’s better.
Someone should give this guy the most biased homer award. I can taste the salt for real.

It's not Laine's fault that Matthews can't stay in one piece. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: QuietContrarian

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
LOL, yes civil and polite, until you attacked my opinion, told me to use common sense and called me a kid.

If there was a poll last year while Laine was hurt than you can link it, because I don’t recall there being one. Regardless, Laine just scored 40 goals and since then all you fanboys have started slithering out of your holes and can’t keep Matthews out of your posts, it’s pretty awesome at how shook you people are that you wait all this time for an opportunity to chest-thump, and do it while Matthews is injured.

I voted, simple, your the one who’s rattled because I pointed out that Matthews was having the far better season between the two at the time of his injury, your the one who’s quoting me.

No, it’s stupid. This is like making a poll pitting Mitch Marner against Jack Eichel and arguing Marner is better because he has more points, ignoring where they were at when Eichel was healthy and that his injury is the only reason Marner pulled ahead. It would also be pitting a C against a W. This is the same argument, except Matthews faces tougher comp and is way, way better defensively than Laine.

He looks like a fat amish kid who got kicked in the head by his horse?

Like Sloth from The Goonies if he were an albino and grew a bad beard?

Hot-streaks are fun, but considering Matthews was leading before injury he would likely be leading now if it hadn’t happened, because he’s better.

that isn't how it works. it isn't how it worked last year and it's not how it works this year

you don't get to pick and choose what you want to believe based off some fantasy world that doesn't exist

btw laine has a higher gpg and more goals

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
He's also shooting 50%. since February 23rd. That is as unsustainable as it gets lol.

okay but he still gets off like 5 shots a game so wtf you want from him? to miss?

I guess he'd be better if he missed more and converted less
great logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->