Post-Game Talk: Laine defeats the Stars again - 4:2 Jets

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I take a bit of an extra liking to beating Dallas. I remember a time on these boards when Jim Nil was lauded as some kind of genius and Chevy was a simpleton in comparison. I saw back then and still see a very flawed Stars team. Their forward depth is non existent, their defense outside a good 1st pairing is either old or not NHL quality. Bishop is always hurt and he is signed long term down there(fyi people here wanted Bishop badly). They have little prospect depth beyond Heiskeinen and Tufte. Next off season you are going to see a team have to try and free agent its way into the playoffs next season because there window to be top notch is getting smaller and smaller.

I don't have the extra disdain for Dallas as I have for a few other teams, but I do remember the Nill lauding and Chevy bashing.

Also, where is the Stars fan from Winnipeg that would post telling how much better Dallas was and how much better their prospects were?

Reactions: kittiecarlyle

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Why are Wheeler and Bucky so steamed?

IMG_0714.jpg

No it’s smoke emitting from them because THEY ARE ON FIRE!

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
Wow ... first game back for Scheifele and he has the most minutes of any forward over 23 minutes.

I loved the Tanev hit on the ref. PoMo comment was great too about Tanev. "He fights to block shots which doesn't make him smart but makes him very valuable."

That is a great quote!

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Yes, if a team like that really only has one great line and they are desperate, they are going to run them into the ground. Then we end up doing the same thing. Right or wrong, that's how it goes.
Right but Wheeler and Scheifele still played almost 3 minutes more and don't say its because of the PP & PK because the Stars top line played on the PP & PK too.
Don't get me wrong this was an important game and I don't mind the extra minutes for the top guys in key games but please don't do it every game a few weeks before the playoffs start.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I love Laine, Ehlers and Stastny, but I believe this would have been the wrong decision. Let them feast while Scheif's line takes the brunt of that dangerous line.

There is a reason Laine/Stastny/Ehlers is beasting...think about it for a bit

Yea I don't have a problem with the usage. Let LStE feast a bit? CSW and TLA seemed to be the two lines that got the big boys from Dallas and that is probably a good way to roll.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
An important thing to remember about Dallas is they have very different marching orders from the owner.

The playbook:

Winnipeg 2011

Mark Chipman and partners purchased the Thrashers and change the name to the Jets and hysteria ensues
Sold out building so cash flow is pretty set
Team had empty cupboards and a bottom 10 NHL team talent wise
Not an easy place to attract free agents to (Winnipeg factor and crappy team)
probably on quite a few NTNM player lists
On the flip side the Jets are the biggest ticket in a hockey mad town
So Chevy was hired as a farmer not really a hunger
game plan was to draft and develop because the market would allow a half decade at least to build it slowly and there weren't many short cut options
Jets got one playoff season in the first six years but people could see they were developing a nice prospect base and also retaining veterans
The 2017-18 season has been the coming out party and the dividends of the patient plan are paying off.
What next we shall see its a very humbling league (See Edmonton and Ottawa last season vs this season) but the Jets seems poised to contend for years.

Dallas 2011

Tom Gaglardi purchases the Stars from Bankruptcy.
The Stars lost $38 million during their last fiscal year under NHL control and $92 million over the last three seasons (source Wikipedia)
Former CEO and President Jim Lites was hired back to turn the financial ship around and rebuild the front office.
Joe Nieuwendyk was retained as GM
Stars are one of 4 Major sports teams in Dallas so the competition to win and gain attention is fierce.
Free agents seem to like Dallas as a destination.
I don't think they hit many no trade no move lists (My guess)
After two seasons under GM Joe finishing 10th and 11th out of the playoffs changes were made to find someone who could win now
Jim Nill was brought in as a hunter not a farmer and he set to work wheeling and dealing to turn things around on the ice and finacially
Because of his direction and early splash and results (Seguin robbery) then the team making the playoffs Nill got off to a quick start reputation wise.
Things began to take major strides forward financially and the newly re branded Stars were off and running.
Stars kind of entered a win now mode with the acquisition of veterans and free agents (Like Spezza, Sharp, Hemsky) peaking in 2015-16 with 109 point season and a division championship
Last season was a disaster and it looks like this season they might miss the playoffs
What next we shall see but Nill was given marching orders when he was hired and didn't do a bad job.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
An important thing to remember about Dallas is they have very different marching orders from the owner.

The playbook:

Winnipeg 2011

Mark Chipman and partners purchased the Thrashers and change the name to the Jets and hysteria ensues
Sold out building so cash flow is pretty set
Team had empty cupboards and a bottom 10 NHL team talent wise
Not an easy place to attract free agents to (Winnipeg factor and crappy team)
probably on quite a few NTNM player lists
On the flip side the Jets are the biggest ticket in a hockey mad town
So Chevy was hired as a farmer not really a hunger
game plan was to draft and develop because the market would allow a half decade at least to build it slowly and there weren't many short cut options
Jets got one playoff season in the first six years but people could see they were developing a nice prospect base and also retaining veterans
The 2017-18 season has been the coming out party and the dividends of the patient plan are paying off.
What next we shall see its a very humbling league (See Edmonton and Ottawa last season vs this season) but the Jets seems poised to contend for years.

Dallas 2011

Tom Gaglardi purchases the Stars from Bankruptcy.
The Stars lost $38 million during their last fiscal year under NHL control and $92 million over the last three seasons (source Wikipedia)
Former CEO and President Jim Lites was hired back to turn the financial ship around and rebuild the front office.
Joe Nieuwendyk was retained as GM
Stars are one of 4 Major sports teams in Dallas so the competition to win and gain attention is fierce.
Free agents seem to like Dallas as a destination.
I don't think they hit many no trade no move lists (My guess)
After two seasons under GM Joe finishing 10th and 11th out of the playoffs changes were made to find someone who could win now
Jim Nill was brought in as a hunter not a farmer and he set to work wheeling and dealing to turn things around on the ice and finacially
Because of his direction and early splash and results (Seguin robbery) then the team making the playoffs Nill got off to a quick start reputation wise.
Things began to take major strides forward financially and the newly re branded Stars were off and running.
Stars kind of entered a win now mode with the acquisition of veterans and free agents (Like Spezza, Sharp, Hemsky) peaking in 2015-16 with 109 point season and a division championship
Last season was a disaster and it looks like this season they might miss the playoffs
What next we shall see but Nill was given marching orders when he was hired and didn't do a bad job.

If the Stars did as well drafting as we did in their dtaft slots they would just as good as us.

Nichushkin and Guryanov picks hurt them bad...

Reactions: ps241

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I don't have the extra disdain for Dallas as I have for a few other teams, but I do remember the Nill lauding and Chevy bashing.

Also, where is the Stars fan from Winnipeg that would post telling how much better Dallas was and how much better their prospects were?

Primetimey? Not sure, I've had him on ignore forever.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Scheifele also had 1:39 TOI on the PK plus 3:54 on the PP

Yup, that's OK, but I think the point was that maybe the TOI in total was a bit too much for a player on his comeback game. I am hoping more even TOI to let Wheeler & Scheifele to be 100%, not injured and rested enough for the real games that are about to start quite soon.

Now it's a quite good time to use that depth of the team to stay fresh and healthy. On fire or not, I certainly don't want to see EStL playing 23-24 minutes either.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Yup, that's OK, but I think the point was that maybe the TOI in total was a bit too much for a player on his comeback game. I am hoping more even TOI to let Wheeler & Scheifele to be 100%, not injured and rested enough for the real games that are about to start quite soon.

Now it's a quite good time to use that depth of the team to stay fresh and healthy. On fire or not, I certainly don't want to see EStL playing 23-24 minutes either.

If they had been able to make it 4-1 things would have been different. Once it got to 3-2 I would expect every coach in the league to try to win the game first. You can't judge these things outside the context of the game.

Reactions: libertarian

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What did Roussel do to Buff? He has had it in for him for some time now. Does anyone know how this started? Did he run our goalie at one time? Buff sure likes putting him in his place. Buff is one player I would rest up for the playoffs. Give Morrissey some more time. He's eventually going to qb the PP.
It sure is going to be interesting to see how Chevy works the salary cap.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If the Stars did as well drafting as we did in their dtaft slots they would just as good as us.

Nichushkin and Guryanov picks hurt them bad...

I think their goal is to have Nich back next season. I don't know how Guryanov is progressing but right now its not looking great is it.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
What did Roussel do to Buff? He has had it in for him for some time now. Does anyone know how this started? Did he run our goalie at one time? Buff sure likes putting him in his place. Buff is one player I would rest up for the playoffs

Roussel is a dirty player and cheap shot artist. He deserves everything he gets and Buff is doing what Buff does with players like him and Perry.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Roussel is a dirty player and cheap shot artist. He deserves everything he gets and Buff is doing what Buff does with players like him and Perry.
Didn’t Roussel specifically target Scheifele or Laine’s knee last season in the 8-4 blow out?
I think Buff got Roussel in the corner with little to no time left and naturally Roussel turtles.
I hope Buff is always in his head going forward.
Roussel is actually a decent player and doesn’t need to be a pos

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Didn’t Roussel specifically target Scheifele or Laine’s knee last season in the 8-4 blow out?
I think Buff got Roussel in the corner with little to no time left and naturally Roussel turtles.
I hope Buff is always in his head going forward.
Roussel is actually a decent player and doesn’t need to be a pos
He is in the league for a reason and playmaking isn't it.
Last three years
29pts 209pim
25pts 148pim
27pts 115pim
this year...
16pts 122pim

I love it when Buff plays physical...there is really no answer for him in the league.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
He is in the league for a reason and playmaking isn't it.
Last three years
29pts 209pim
25pts 148pim
27pts 115pim
this year...
16pts 122pim

I love it when Buff plays physical...there is really no answer for him in the league.
I love mean Buff.
Yes Roussel has that role no doubt, I have seen a few nice goals.
He is a dirty POS tho’

Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->