Post-Game Talk: Laine defeats the Stars again - 4:2 Jets

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
We have done really well without some key players, and having them back last night against a very hungry and desperate Stars team, having some back made me a lot more comfortable watching. The ice must have been terrible, with the turnovers by both teams and players falling all over the place.

I hope Trouba is ok, thought I'm sure he will have to at least go through the week of concussion protocol, hopefully nothing beyond that. He made us SOOOO much better on D. Really liking how Chairot is stepping up. He looks just fine where he is and his physicality will be useful in the playoffs.

The forward group is as incredible as you would think with that amount of talent. But I would really hope they would not put themselves in a position to get injured when they don't have to. I clench more at hits than I do about opposing breakaways now!

The one area that I have a problem with, is our PP. I know it's 4th or 5th in the league, but recently it hasn't been that great considering the talent on PP1. Someone explained it to me before, but it seems to be a set play that Buff is supposed to pass to Wheeler. There were at least two times that they just got set up and all the Stars were covering the slot or Wheeler, and Buff passed to Wheeler, while there was no one within 10 feet of Laine. He was completely open, and even if he couldn't have taken a one timer from there, he certainly could have skated right up and wristed one. Then Wheeler spends the rest of the PP trying to get it to Laine anyway. I don't want to turn this into an argument, because I have no inkling that there is anything other than planned plays going on, but I do want to understand why we do that because I'm sure there's a good reason. It would make me much less agitated if I knew what that reason was.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I take a bit of an extra liking to beating Dallas. I remember a time on these boards when Jim Nil was lauded as some kind of genius and Chevy was a simpleton in comparison. I saw back then and still see a very flawed Stars team. Their forward depth is non existent, their defense outside a good 1st pairing is either old or not NHL quality. Bishop is always hurt and he is signed long term down there(fyi people here wanted Bishop badly). They have little prospect depth beyond Heiskeinen and Tufte. Next off season you are going to see a team have to try and free agent its way into the playoffs next season because there window to be top notch is getting smaller and smaller.
To me, it's a bit like San Jose and Ottawa (and formerly Wpg). When your top D are suspect defensively it's so hard to win the big games.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't have much of an issue with it. If teams key on CSW, EStL will rip them a new one. If they're able to key on both lines, then PCL/PLR gets less coverage.

Yeah. This plus the fact that they have an elite top line that was playing at its best. Sometimes a win is when your top line cancels out theirs. I thought that out top line matched theirs.

Reactions: libertarian

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
No one's saying it would but you can't give magic numbers based on what you think it'll take they're based on math

Ummmh.......I'm the one doing the magic number thread. It's all about math. I've been doing the math for a few weeks. It has nothing to do with what I think.

Reactions: Snot Rocket

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Yeah. This plus the fact that they have an elite top line that was playing at its best. Sometimes a win is when your top line cancels out theirs. I thought that out top line matched theirs.
Yes, if a team like that really only has one great line and they are desperate, they are going to run them into the ground. Then we end up doing the same thing. Right or wrong, that's how it goes.

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Yes it's possible for one team to overtake the Jets but not 2 or 3 teams.
The Kings play Wild, Jets and Avs in the next 4 days and if they don't beat the Av's they need to win against the Wild and Jets or they are in seriously trouble.

If the game goes to OT then one team magic # will drop by 1

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Ummmh.......I'm the one doing the magic number thread. It's all about math. I've been doing the math for a few weeks. It has nothing to do with what I think.

Minimum number of points needed to clinch = 8
Points per win =2
Wins needed to clinch = 4
Games remaining = 10
Therefore record needed = 4-6 (3-5-2)

Of course for every game St. Louis loses the record we need changes

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Minimum number of points needed to clinch = 8
Points per win =2
Wins needed to clinch = 4
Games remaining = 10
Therefore record needed = 4-6 (3-5-2)

Of course for every game St. Louis loses the record we need changes

we could also clinch with

3 wins and 2OTL
2 wins and 4 OTL
1 wins and 6 OTL
0 wins and 8 OTL

It is also possible to clinch going 0-10-0 because points lost by the other team also reduce the magic number. 4-6 is not necessarily needed as you claim. There are many other scenarios in play.

This is the reason the magic number thread uses points instead of wins. I have no idea why you think you need to explain this to me.

Reactions: SLAYER

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
we could also clinch with

3 wins and 2OTL
2 wins and 4 OTL
1 wins and 6 OTL
0 wins and 8 OTL

It is also possible to clinch going 0-10-0 because points lost by the other team also reduce the magic number. 4-6 is not necessarily needed as you claim. There are many other scenarios in play.

This is the reason the magic number thread uses points instead of wins. I have no idea why you think you need to explain this to me.

Because you're using semantics. It was just a quick post in a post game thread. I and everyone else obviously grasp that 4-6 is the same as 3-5-2 or 2-6-4

I've also now stated twice that this is the record we need under the absolute worst case scenario of controlling our own fate

Aavco Cup

Sep 5, 2013
Because you're using semantics. It was just a quick post in a post game thread. I and everyone else obviously grasp that 4-6 is the same as 3-5-2 or 2-6-4

I've also now stated twice that this is the record we need under the absolute worst case scenario of controlling our own fate

And I pointed out that controlling your own fate and magic number is not the same thing. I was not using "semantics"

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I'm so unused to numbers like that, it looks like someone broke something on the NHL.com website.
I didn't realize how good our GA looks... we're like 5th or something? I knew we could score but that is going to serve us well in the playoffs.

Considering how much of our D corps has been injured- it's especially impressive. THANKS HELLE!

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
On the Dallas Stars Wiki this morning

OMXGTwo.png

OMXGTwo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->