Post-Game Talk: Laine defeats the Stars again - 4:2 Jets

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Think we see comrie on tuesday. L.a. on b2b's. Need to give hellebuyck some much needed rest. Think l.a. will go with Campbell.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Solid game. Team definitely looks better without half the guys injured.

Helle and Laine doing Helle and Laine things. Stas line was great, but everyone was at least decent. Lehtonen and Bishop made some big saves too.

Jyri

Nov 24, 2017
Scheifele 23min TOI. Why? Looked weak and rusty. Let him get in shape with lower minutes and put those guys on the ice who can do the magic.

Reactions: hudster

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Scheifele 23min TOI. Why? Looked weak and rusty. Let him get in shape with lower minutes and put those guys on the ice who can do the magic.

It's not gonna change at this point. I am just hoping that the coaching staff knows what they are doing. I don't think we will have the freshest vets come playoffs. Their play has seen a gradual decline as the season has gone on. They were unstoppable in the beginning of the season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
If the Jet's win the Stanley Cup, and Statsny was a big part of that-- there is a good chance the Jet's will resign him. It reminds me of when Phil Kessel went to the Penns from Toronto, and the Penns won the Cup-- "they then signed Kessel-long term".

So, I would not at all count this possibility out-- it all depends on what happens.
When Kessel was traded to Pitt he was not an upcoming UFA though. He was on the same contract he is on now...64m for 8 years. Pitt didn't sign him. There are 4 more years after this one still on the deal.
Leafs are paying 1.2m a year of that contract.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
It's not gonna change at this point. I am just hoping that the coaching staff knows what they are doing. I don't think we will have the freshest vets come playoffs. Their play has seen a gradual decline as the season has gone on. They were unstoppable in the beginning of the season.
Maurice said he would look at sitting some players around the Sens/Habs b2b.
If I'm coach and 2nd is secured, anyone with injuries would rest.
I think the backup gets the Ducks game and Chicago and the Habs. I'd give him more if we have 2nd.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
When Kessel was traded to Pitt he was not an upcoming UFA though. He was on the same contract he is on now...64m for 8 years. Pitt didn't sign him. There are 4 more years after this one still on the deal.
Leafs are paying 1.2m a year of that contract.

Well Pitt didn't sign him, but they took over his contract, which is really the same thing as signing him. Pitt is paying him about $ 8- 1.2 m= $ 6.8 mil per season. So Pitt didn't sign him, but it's really the same thing as signing him, because Pitt is obligated for another 4 more years, at $ 6.8 mil per season.

Reason why Pitt did this, is Kessel fit so well into their lineup, and was scoring a lot of goals. I'm saying this could happen with Paul Statsny as well ?? I guess we''l see.

Reactions: Tommigun

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Makes me wonder how good 55's overall game is that PMo would ride him that much. He did look rusty to my eye test but apparently not to coach.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Maurice said he would look at sitting some players around the Sens/Habs b2b.
If I'm coach and 2nd is secured, anyone with injuries would rest.
I think the backup gets the Ducks game and Chicago and the Habs. I'd give him more if we have 2nd.

As long as that is enough to counter the effects of a long season with crazy TOI.

I don't know what to think about CSW in general. They have been a bad corsi line all season but they have been able to create very good scoring chances and capitalize on them. A high-risk, high-reward line. It just seems recently they are more risk than reward. Granted, the constant line-shuffling with injuries has not helped. Burdening them with crazy TOI at this point just seems counterproductive for the playoff push right around the corner, doubly so because ESL 2.0 is a diamond and can carry their weight and then some.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
It's all about matchups, I think. PoMo wanted the first line with Wheeler to go against Dallas top line with Benn. Therefore if Wheeler plays, Scheifele plays.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Solid game. Team definitely looks better without half the guys injured.

Helle and Laine doing Helle and Laine things. Stas line was great, but everyone was at least decent. Lehtonen and Bishop made some big saves too.
I would put money on the fact that he asked for that much time to get himself in playing shape.

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
I don't have much of an issue with it. If teams key on CSW, EStL will rip them a new one. If they're able to key on both lines, then PCL/PLR gets less coverage.

That is one aspect of it, but if we are playing a home game, should it not be us dictating how we want to play the game? Why don't we play our guys that are scoring non-stop and let the opposition match-up against that?

I completely understand the need to line-match, but at some point someone else should have to line-match against our ability to create crazy offense.

IMO the best games we have seen this season from the Jets is when the TOI has been balanced (Scheifele injury). That could also be variance, but it clearly demonstrates that a balanced TOI is doable, and the data so far indicates that is is also desirable.

Of course PP's and PK's can mix it up in terms of TOI, but I think we are seeing a trend were we are significantly top-heavy in terms of TOI.

Even with all those PP's, Laine for example had a 15:42 TOI in this game. It just doesn't make sense to me (unless I put on my trusted tinfoil hat). This also follows a trend where your success on the ice does not matter at all in terms of TOI.

I don't think anyone can deny how good ESL was at creating scoring chances. This had zero effect on their ice time.

Reactions: hudster and Jack722

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Isn't it nice to be able to check the various playoff prediction math models and see us with a big fat 100%-less-a-Snickers-bar chance of making the playoffs and a double-digit chance to win the cup?

Instead of, you know, trying to imagine if we can squeeze out an 8-2 run to give us a 20% chance to sneak in if the stars align.

Really nice. And weird. Nice and weird.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida

Well Pitt didn't sign him, but they took over his contract, which is really the same thing as signing him. Pitt is paying him about $ 8- 1.2 m= $ 6.8 mil per season. So Pitt didn't sign him, but it's really the same thing as signing him, because Pitt is obligated for another 4 more years, at $ 6.8 mil per season.

Reason why Pitt did this, is Kessel fit so well into their lineup, and was scoring a lot of goals. I'm saying this could happen with Paul Statsny as well ?? I guess we''l see.

As I understand it, it is not the same thing at all. Kessel was under contract to Pitt after the trade. He couldn't go sign or play elsewhere. Stastny gets to choose where he signs and plays.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
As I understand it, it is not the same thing at all. Kessel was under contract to Pitt after the trade. He couldn't go sign or play elsewhere. Stastny gets to choose where he signs and plays.

Yes that's very true what you say here, but Pitt still had to assume his contract, or try to trade him off again if they didn't like the fit. You are right--because Statsny will be an UFA- but still, the Jet's may try to sign him, if he really wants to be here, and the contract is affordable -- which I think it would be.

I don't see Stats going back to St.Louis, because they didn't want him, and why would he go back to Colorado when they are in a rebuilding stage ? Because he's great friends with Wheeler, and really clicking with Ehlers and Laine, he may decide he'd like to stay here.

It will be interesting to see what Statsny does? I believe his decision won't be made strictly on money-- but moreso playing with guys he likes, and also playing on a contending team. Time will tell.

Reactions: libertarian

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
That is one aspect of it, but if we are playing a home game, should it not be us dictating how we want to play the game? Why don't we play our guys that are scoring non-stop and let the opposition match-up against that?

But we did dictate the game and matchups - Scheif / Wheels / Connor vs. Benn / Seguin / Radulov. That was their primary matchup, and they did well in shutting them down, leaving EStL to matchup against the Faksa line. This dictated most of the TOI differences.

matchups-2018-03-18-2017021114-DALatWPG.png

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
But we did dictate the game and matchups - Scheif / Wheels / Connor vs. Benn / Seguin / Radulov. That was their primary matchup, and they did well in shutting them down, leaving EStL to matchup against the Faksa line. This dictated most of the TOI differences.

matchups-2018-03-18-2017021114-DALatWPG.png

I'm not saying the result in this game was not good. I am saying that we have a similar top-heavy trend in TOI distribution, no matter what happens on the ice. Even Maurice is constantly talking about "increasing minutes" so we know what mindset he has.

The performance on the ice is not reflecting a desirable TOI distribution in my opinion. The average shift lenght seems off. Shouldn't we start laying off Wheeler (23:08 in this game) before the playoffs for example?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I'm not saying the result in this game was not good. I am saying that we have a similar top-heavy trend in TOI distribution, no matter what happens on the ice. Even Maurice is constantly talking about "increasing minutes" so we know what mindset he has.

The performance on the ice is not reflecting a desirable TOI distribution in my opinion. The average shift lenght seems off. Shouldn't we start laying off Wheeler (23:08 in this game) before the playoffs for example?

Would you have matched EStL up against Benn, Seguin, and Radulov? If not, then there's your TOI distribution explanation.

Reactions: libertarian

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Would you have matched EStL up against Benn, Seguin, and Radulov? If not, then there's your TOI distribution explanation.

If that was the by-product of playing the Stas line more, then sure.

Maybe it's not correct, but it sure as hell seems correct.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I take a bit of an extra liking to beating Dallas. I remember a time on these boards when Jim Nil was lauded as some kind of genius and Chevy was a simpleton in comparison. I saw back then and still see a very flawed Stars team. Their forward depth is non existent, their defense outside a good 1st pairing is either old or not NHL quality. Bishop is always hurt and he is signed long term down there(fyi people here wanted Bishop badly). They have little prospect depth beyond Heiskeinen and Tufte. Next off season you are going to see a team have to try and free agent its way into the playoffs next season because there window to be top notch is getting smaller and smaller.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad