Lafleur vs Gretzky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
It's neck and neck with only 14 votes separating the two sides after 14 votes have been cast. Hopefully this will spur on even more of that intelligent "Lafleur was as good as Gretzky, Gretzky just padded his stats in blowouts" talk we all love. :)

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I don't like any comparison's.

The reason being that they seem to always downgrade a player or both.

Both were great for a list of reasons in my opinion. No need to compare them.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Chili said:
I don't like any comparison's.

The reason being that they seem to always downgrade a player or both.

Both were great for a list of reasons in my opinion. No need to compare them.

I think it's just plain silly myself, that's the real motivation for this silly poll. ;)

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
We should also a start a "What least impressed you about Guy Lafleur" thread.

We could talk about his stupid hippy hair and the fact that he smoked and drank too much. The fact that he forced management to draft Wickenheiser instead of Savard etc...

Then we could compare him to Steve Sullivan and try to diminish everything Lafleur did. When people tell us were just making stuff up we could manipulate stats to try and prove Lafleur sucked.

No wait, that would be pointless. We could talk about how great he was and admire what an artist he was on the ice without having to dimish anything he did. To try to take away from Lafleur wouldn't make any sense, just as taking away from Gretzky would be foolish.

*As for the poll, very few people can compare to #99. Lafleur was an amazing player, probably top 15 of all time, but Gretzky is simply on another level. I think you could compare who looked better on the ice and most people would probably say Lafleur, but to compare them overall, for their whole careers, it's pointless. The level of domiance Gretzky achieved might never be seen again. At the very least, it will be a while before we see 92 goals in a season again.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Hey, K-10, you've claimed to see Lafleur play live, right?

Then how come, on the Marcel Dionne thread, you wrote:

"Ok um I havent really had the upportunity to watch him play either but my dad has informed me of his greatness as he's 3 years older then Dionne."

Your dad is three years older than Marcel Dionne, yet you saw The Flower play, is that right? Did you go back in time or something?

Curious,
MoneyP

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
moneyp said:

"Ok um I havent really had the upportunity to watch him play either but my dad has informed me of his greatness as he's 3 years older then Dionne."

Your dad is three years older than Marcel Dionne, yet you saw The Flower play, is that right? Did you go back in time or something?

Curious,
MoneyP
:biglaugh: ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZing!

KOVALEV 10 said:
Ok um I havent really had the upportunity to watch him play either but my dad has informed me of his greatness as he's 3 years older then Dionne.

Here are 2 sites you would wanna take a look at to see the bio of Dionne and what others think of him:

http://www.hockeysandwich.com/mdionne.html
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html...nonep199201.htm

Dionne was fourth on NHL's all-time points list (1,771) and third on goals list (731) through 2002; tied Wayne Gretzky for the league lead in points (137) in 1980; scored 50 goals in a season 6 times; won the Lady Byng Award for gentlemanly play in 1975 and 1977; member of the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Now my father tells me that this guy was just one of the best in his era but the only thing about him is he played on a team where it had little to no exposure in LA, in a team that was very weak. However he still dominated the NHL in the 70-s and beginning 80-s along with Lafleur, Bossy, Gilbert Perrault, and of course Wayne Gretzky.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Quiet Robert said:
We should also a start a "What least impressed you about Guy Lafleur" thread.

I considered starting a thread like that, but after Corrado Micalef it wouldn`t have been as funny. This is a great idea if it keeps the pointless debate out of threads that have nothing to do with it, but I don`t think it will.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Don't people realize that comparing their favourite player to the best only ends up generating critical comments about their fav?

I was a huge Lafleur fan in the late seventies but it was obvious that Gretzky played the game at a different level way before he set a bunch of statistical records.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
moneyp said:

Curious,
MoneyP

Dionne was born in `51 so K10`s dad would`ve been born in `48. K10 said in another thread that he was 42 years old, which means he was born in `62 or `63.

Therefore K10`s dad would have to have been 14 or 15 when K10 was born. I guess it`s possible..... Actually that might explain a few things.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
reckoning said:
Dionne was born in `51 so K10`s dad would`ve been born in `48. K10 said in another thread that he was 42 years old, which means he was born in `62 or `63.

Therefore K10`s dad would have to have been 14 or 15 when K10 was born. I guess it`s possible..... Actually that might explain a few things.
I'm 36 and recall practically all of Dionne's career, except his time with the Wings. If somebody is 42 and a hockey fan all his life, he would recall his whole career.

se7en*

Does this mean that Kovalev10 = chooch?

Think about it, they are both lacking common sense and defend to ridiculousness a player they never watched. Well we know for sure one never watched. :innocent:

chooch*

Hootchie Cootchie said:
Does this mean that Kovalev10 = chooch?

Think about it, they are both lacking common sense and defend to ridiculousness a player they never watched. Well we know for sure one never watched. :innocent:

Youre right, Messier was better then Gretzky.

KOVALEV10*

reckoning said:

My dad is 62.. isnt Dionne like 59 or something? My dad left me and my mom for a couple years to live in LA in 1970 or something when I was only 8 because his job was much better in LA. So he went to a lot of LA games so he really knows Dionne much more then me and was a lot older and mature when Dionne was at his prime. I admit he's a better hockey guy then me.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
KOVALEV10 said:
My dad is 62.. isnt Dionne like 59 or something? My dad left me and my mom for a couple years to live in LA in 1970 or something when I was only 8 because his job was much better in LA. So he went to a lot of LA games so he really knows Dionne much more then me and was a lot older and mature when Dionne was at his prime. I admit he's a better hockey guy then me.

Riiggghhhhhttt.... but you, um, never really got the "upportunity" to see Dionne play, watching hockey in the 70s and 80s and all. Tell us another one, kid.

Ogopogo*

KOVALEV10 said:

You should work the numbers on your story and figure out your age. :biglaugh:

KOVALEV10*

Ogopogo said:
You should work the numbers on your story and figure out your age. :biglaugh:

:biglaugh: Did I ever tell you you're a moron? Guys you wanna know the truth? I'm... 5!! OK IM 5 Damit :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad