Confirmed with Link: Lack 50% + Murphy + 7th ('19) to CGY for Kanzig + 6th ('19)

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
when I'm done with my wedding - you get back to work, daily grind, etc

when I'm done with my marriage - this is why I have a secret bank account I've been hiding money in for the last 8 years

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
It was pretty clear Murphy's time was over in Carolina. He only needed a handful of games at the end of last season to meet the games played requirement for the expansion draft and the Canes still didn't play him over Dahlbeck or Tennyson. And it was pretty clear that Lack was odd man out at goalie.

Even in the most optimistic (and extremely unlikely) scenario where Murphy becomes a solid NHL Player in Calgary, it's still a good move as there was no chance of that happening here. Same goes for Lack. Kinda surprised Canes didn't get McCollum in the deal for Charlotte

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Reading over the main trade thread, there are going to be some unhappy Flames fans when they realize what they actually got in Murphy.

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
Section 308
Reading over the main trade thread, there are going to be some unhappy Flames fans when they realize what they actually got in Murphy.

There are a few posters on the Flames board as well who are taking a victory lap right now.

There's a good chance Lack doesn't bounce back, and that his limited success in Vancouver was just a hot stretch. Of course that's not what I'm rooting for, but his body of work is more bad than good.

As for Murphy, well, there's not much for me to add to what's already been said about him for the past few seasons.

As for us, we cleared out two bad players and got an extra contract space out of the deal, giving us more flexibility. That's a win any day of the week.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Morning thoughts about this move:

• It seemed the best move would be to waive Murphy down to Charlotte and hope that the better portion of a full AHL season might elicit something of value from him...and if not, oh well. However, I'm not aware of which player's spot Murphy would take in Charlotte, so if he would be taking a RHD's development space, then obviously I'd come off of this opinion.
  • Lack will have better stats than Ward this season. That isn't to say that he definitely would have had better stats than Ward while playing with CAR this season, but it also doesn't say that he wouldn't. I think they traded the better goaltender, but as Joe said, they both suck.
  • I'm on board with Roboturner's implication that Francis *could* have another move planned to meet the salary floor. That opinion comes from my thought up until this point that Lack would be retained until Francis found a forward to spend cap money on. Even if they had to waive him to Charlotte, he'd count against the cap, and they'd have their replacement for McCollum. And given my opinion of Lack, I thought he'd play himself into a spot where other NHL teams would be willing to make an in-season trade to acquire him as an injury replacement.
  • On the semi-related topic of meeting the salary floor, let's not forget that Francis has all season to get there...he doesn't have to get there this summer. He could pick up a bargain-ish forward (let's say $4M) and leave the remaining money there until sometime during the year where he picks up an expensive rental or two for a playoff push. Holding such a player for two months would count as 1/3 of his cap hit toward the salary floor.

Maybe some day the term "salary floor" won't be seen in every goddamn HFCanes thread. Some day...

Wolfpuck

Chefnikov
Jun 25, 2006
Section 308
I would argue that his career stats of 2.56 GAA and .911 SV% aren't more bad than good, but I'm not going to nerd out and try to prove it.

Meh. A .911 save percentage is below league average, so that's what I based it on. Semantics at this point.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Meh. A .911 save percentage is below league average, so that's what I based it on. Semantics at this point.

Fair enough, like I said, I didn't research comparatives, just went off of what I thought would be average...thinking .911 was probably about average. Just for my information, what is "average" these days?

Lempo

Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Maybe some day the term "salary floor" won't be seen in every goddamn HFCanes thread. Some day...

I don't know, Leafs got a $5M overage penalty for next year's cap because of this season's ELC performance bonuses, and that's not so nice place to be either.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
[*]Lack will have better stats than Ward this season. That isn't to say that he definitely would have had better stats than Ward while playing with CAR this season, but it also doesn't say that he wouldn't. I think they traded the better goaltender, but as Joe said, they both suck.

Check out their stats playing behind the same team for the past two seasons.

Ward has better SV% and GAA.

Additionally, Canes were an 89 point team with Ward and an 80 point team with Lack over that time period.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Lack improved towards the end of his tenure here. I would have liked to see more "good Eddie", but it's all water under the bridge now. The Scott Darling era has begun.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I've also heard that he buys his meth from celebrity meth maker Walter White.

When did Walter move to NC and start makin' that fine Raleigh meth....

It was pretty clear Murphy's time was over in Carolina. He only needed a handful of games at the end of last season to meet the games played requirement for the expansion draft and the Canes still didn't play him over Dahlbeck or Tennyson. And it was pretty clear that Lack was odd man out at goalie.

Even in the most optimistic (and extremely unlikely) scenario where Murphy becomes a solid NHL Player in Calgary, it's still a good move as there was no chance of that happening here. Same goes for Lack. Kinda surprised Canes didn't get McCollum in the deal for Charlotte

I thought that (McCollum) as soon as saw the trade and was surprised he wasn't part of it. But perhaps there's more in the proverbial Francis hopper than meets the eye.

Morning thoughts about this move:

Re: Lack in AHL - my thoughts paralleled this as well. I know it's anathema for this team to spend NHL salary on AHL play, but if it rehabilitated him, gave the Checkers a veteran mentor, there's a good chance that his value would have increased a bit, perhaps enough for a mid-season, injury replacement trade. But my sense is that's a gamble GMRF wasn't willing to take.

Pretty sure that's not happening this time, but we'll see.

I believe the term would be "laughing stock" if it did. My guess is that Peters has been told in no uncertain terms that Darling is the man, you damn well better make it work. Getting rid of Marcoux and getting a guy that has worked with Darling in the past is evidence of that. We've got one more year of Ward's contract and he'll be an adequate back-up (although historically he's needed "games in a row" to get to his highest level of performance). My guess is we can expect something like a 55/27 split...and I'd be fine with that.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

This time next year we won't be singing that tune, no sir. Not with Hanifin, Slavin and Pesce, coming off their ELCs to to enter RFA status with TVR and Dahlbeck scheduled to have arbitration eligible RFA status as well. We're looking at a major financial bump in value on our blueline over the next 12 months, so what Ron is doing now makes plenty of sense long-term. Clearing as much runway as possible to let the jumbos land.

And then you also have Aho and Fleury coming off their ELCs the year after that. It will not be long until the Hurricanes are big spenders, because they'll have to be to keep the team intact. And really, they have to be in order to have any hope on bringing the fans back.

I'm willing to bet this time next year there will be more worry about how close we are to the Salary Cap than the Salary Floor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->