Lacebite

rananda

Dec 24, 2004
has anyone ever had this, particulary right in the front of your ankle, where the highest lace meets the front of your skate. it feels like it's pushing in to your skin and it hurts to push off or basically do anything in your skate. any solutions to this? i was thinking of trying to put a piece of cloth or something like between the skate and my foot to east the pressure. would anything else work better? will this go away over time? this pretty much sucks and it affects my skating.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
pick up a set of lace bite pads from maltesehockey.com the more your in the skates the more you will need them. I have had a set for several years now as well as my youngest son. Many NHL teams outfit the players with them. Mika Norenon also uses them. I know cause I gave him a set to replace the chinsy foam pads he was using.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Yup, I've had it. I've been told a small piece of sponge placed in the problem area helps. I've never tried it though.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
has anyone ever had this, particulary right in the front of your ankle, where the highest lace meets the front of your skate. it feels like it's pushing in to your skin and it hurts to push off or basically do anything in your skate. any solutions to this? i was thinking of trying to put a piece of cloth or something like between the skate and my foot to east the pressure. would anything else work better? will this go away over time? this pretty much sucks and it affects my skating.

I suffered from lacebite about two years ago when I was breaking in a new pair of skates. What you want to do is find a piece of high density foam about 1/4 inch thick that will fit at the front of your ankle under the tongue of your skate where the lace bite is. The important part is to cut a hole in the foam where the inflammed tendon is, so that there is no pressure on the sore part, and all the pressure from the lace is distributed via the foam to other parts of your foot.

I guy I played with at the time told me about this trick and that is what his college trainer did.... It works.

Fenix

Sep 18, 2006
ya hopefully you dont ever have to deal with it
im suffering through it right now...

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
give them feet a good HOT soak for up to a half hour as often as you can, at least once a day. Preventive soaks in a HOT epsome salts bath is good for you also.

The gel or silicon pads are the perfect solution.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
give them feet a good HOT soak for up to a half hour as often as you can, at least once a day. Preventive soaks in a HOT epsome salts bath is good for you also.

The gel or silicon pads are the perfect solution.

Mike are you a goalie by any chance? I am and it almost seems that goalies are more susceptible to this?

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
100% goalie...never played a minute out. I think it is more evenly distributed between the out players and goal. THen again there are a lot more of them than us goalies. Our skate movements are quite a bit different so that could be why goalies have more of an issue with it than the out players. More lateral work and low boot cuts that create more friction to hte top of the foot?

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
I honestly think that a lot of the lace bite can be caused by the way people skate. I have always had lacebite problems while my brother doesn't.

I skate with a really really deep knee bend with my knees almost directly above the toe of my skate. My brother skates more upright and doesn't bend his knees a lot.

My theory is, is that the pressure caused by having the deep knee bend causes some of the lacebite because it forces the tendon forward against the lace.

Just my 2 cents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->