Trade: [LAC/HOU] Chris Paul to HOU for Sam Dekker, Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams and a 1st

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Just because Chris Paul is arriving doesn't mean that James Harden should have to relinquish the way he played last season. He was 2nd in MVP voting behind Westbrook for a reason.

You don't ask the 27 year old superstar in the prime of his career to change the way he plays because you're bringing in a 32 year old star who is in all likelihood exiting the prime of his career.

My initial thoughts are how two ball-dominant guards are going to be effective together.

I like Houston going for broke. Sure, it's probably not going to matter against the Warriors but at least they didn't pack it in... they're trying to compete, I'm just not sure this was the right deal. That front court is looking pretty suspect.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This came out of nowhere. I didn't think there was much of a chance of Paul leaving that money on the table but apparently the Clippers weren't going to offer him the full max so I guess that made his decision much easier. I agree with everyone else though, this seems like an odd fit and the Spurs probably would have been better if he planned on leaving the Clippers. It'll be interesting to see how Paul, who loves to hold the ball and slow things down, plays in a D'Antoni system next to another ball dominant guard.

Losing Paul is a big blow but the Clippers didn't do too bad if they knew he was leaving. They get a few decent pieces instead of nothing now.

LeBron, Wade, Paul, and Carmelo are all now FAs next year.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Odd by CP3 as well. Both he and Harden need the ball to be at their most effective, they will basically hinder each other.

Losing depth on the bench and Beverly's defensive game won't help either.
Eh, I think talent will trump fit more often than not. Two very good, very smart point guards for D'Antoni to work with seems like it could be deadly. Didn't give up a whole lot either. Will have to sacrifice some depth, but it'll be worth it to have more than one playmaker out there for once. The need for one was so clear when Harden was getting exhausted in the Spurs series.

Losing Beverley's defense doesn't matter that much since they're getting Chris Paul to take his spot.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I don't like any part of this

Paul and Harden together will not work, James could feasibly play a spot up role now that he has a true point guard next to him but that severely limits his opportunities to do what he's best at: driving to the basket, creating passing lanes, and getting to the free throw line

Now Harden will probably never win an MVP when there's a decent argument to be made that he deserved 2 of the last 3 trophies, this will diminish his legacy amongst people who just count accolades without considering context (which is way too many people)

And of course CP3 had to manufacture a trade so that HOU would be able to offer him super max money, needlessly lessening the talent around him he has to work with, even through Texas has no state income tax and if he signed there in FA he'd take home more money than a super max deal would net him in LAC (I know HOU had to shed salary anyway to make this work, but Paul's money grab is transparent as can be)

Worst of all, Houston goes from being the 3rd best team in the west to being. . . the 3rd best team in the west, this solved nothing for Chris Paul, James Harden, the Rockets, the Clippers, everyone loses this deal except the Spurs and the Warriors

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
OMG, is the Banana boat actually going to happen?

If that happens I will lose my mind. But it could, if all of them were willing to take 20 million dollar discounts.

Eh, I think talent will trump fit more often than not. Two very good, very smart point guards for D'Antoni to work with seems like it could be deadly. Didn't give up a whole lot either. Will have to sacrifice some depth, but it'll be worth it to have more than one playmaker out there for once. The need for one was so clear when Harden was getting exhausted in the Spurs series.

Losing Beverley's defense doesn't matter that much since they're getting Chris Paul to take his spot.

Harden wont have to carry the load alone anymore which will be huge, and if their so intent on playing together I'm sure they will both make adjustment's/sacrifices. Can't wait to see them together.

According to Woj:

Paul had a strong desire to play with Rockets All-Star guard James Harden, which led to the Clippers working out a trade with Houston, league sources said. Los Angeles was able to secure several tradable assets and a draft pick in the deal. The Clippers risked losing Paul for nothing in free agency.

Paul and Harden discussed the possibility of a partnership at length, believing they can find a way to thrive together, league sources said.

This sounds like a couple of stars deciding they wanted to play together and mgmt going along. Paul has one year left on his current contract so he could leave after next season. Sounds like a huge risk for Houston.

Yes but next summer they will be able to offer him the most money, which will be key. Besides, they didn't lose a lot in terms of assets. They still have the 6th man of the year and most of their depth. the first was going to be a later pick anyhow. They still have assets to trade for PG13 as well.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
I think this is a good move for the Clippers. Sure it's gonna hurt to lose the best player in franchise history, but they kinda had to restart and doing it a year early is probably better than doing it a year late.

As for the Rockets, they're a better team now than they were before this trade, but there are a number of issues this presents for them.

First and most obviously is how will CP3 and Harden play with one another. I agree with those saying that they're talent will prevail over all else. Yes there's only one ball and Harden will inevitably have to change the way he plays, but I think both he and CP3 will play off of each other well.

Second is how do they address their depth? The fact that Harrell is included in this deal as well is a big deal I think. With Nene possibly not coming back, they kind of need Harrell to be the backup big man. Maybe even the starter in some lineups because Ryan Anderson couldn't defend a traffic cone. If Morey can figure out how to supplement the current core of Ariza, Capela, Gordon, Harden and CP3 with some viable bench talent they should be fine. If not, this trade may be a wash.

Third is do they go after Carmelo (if he's bought out) or PG13. I think going after George would be a smart move assuming they can find a 3rd team and get rid of Ryan Anderson's contract. They'd likely also have to give up Capela though which is a problem being he's the only big left on the roster besides Anderson.

All things considered, as a Warriors fan I'm just happy Paul didn't end up in San Antonio.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
It's a good move for Paul to get away from the Clippers. It wasn't going to happen and they may need to just rebuild altogether.

I don't know if Houston will be the best move for him however. Unless D'Antoni is axed. But I guess they are trying to target Paul George and others now. Outside of Kawhi, I never believed San Antonio was an option either.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
I don't like any part of this

Paul and Harden together will not work, James could feasibly play a spot up role now that he has a true point guard next to him but that severely limits his opportunities to do what he's best at: driving to the basket, creating passing lanes, and getting to the free throw line
Or it still allows him to do that, but from better positions, with more energy, with less ball handling duties, etc.

The other option was sticking with what they had, which wasn't going to win a ring either. Harden was straight up gassed in the San Antonio series. I like them going for it here, especially if they can get a third player with those two.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Or it still allows him to do that, but from better positions, with more energy, with less ball handling duties, etc.

The other option was sticking with what they had, which wasn't going to win a ring either. Harden was straight up gassed in the San Antonio series. I like them going for it here, especially if they can get a third player with those two.

If they can land PG13, they're suddenly a very serious title contender. Depth will be less important if they have 3 superstars. As currently constructed theyre probably looking at a 3 seed again and a second round exit.

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
Obviously the Warriors are still the favourites, but I still love this move so much. They'll have the ability to stagger minutes between JAMES HARDEN and CHRIS PAUL in the playoffs. That is an amazing luxury. Both guys can take turns with the ball when they're together, and surrounding both with shooters will work wonders. Capela becomes Paul's new DeAndre. Also, Paul playing in the midrange can help with spacing. They were way too unwilling to shoot that shot vs San Antonio, who gave it to them. Next season is gonna be funnnnnnn

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
this is what I love about the NBA in the summer. CP3 goes from for sure going to SA to probably never looking past Houston. all the rumors seem to be just that until the contract is def signed, literally in some cases like DJordan.

Overall this seems interesting, but CP & Harden seemed to go about it in a good way discussing how it would work on the court. Of course saying and doing are two different things and a lot will depend on the whole lineup including the bench.

Bummer for Clipper fans though, all that hope and promise and nothing much to show for it.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Harden and Paul will work a lot better together than people expect. Houston will structure their rotation to keep both fresh, and when they're playing together, Paul will pass first and Harden will be the scorer. Not seeing the issue there. What is concerning is that Paul's max deal will take him well into his down years, when he gets one after this season.

Reactions: All Might

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Full trade was Paul for:

Sam Dekker, Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, DeAndre Liggins, Darrun Hilliard, Montrezl Harrell, Kyle Wiltjer, a top-three protected 2018 first-round pick and $661,000.

Rockets had to get Liggins from Dallas and Hilliard from Detroit before hand to throw in to make the money work.

They also acquired Tim Quarterman from Portland, Shawn Long from the Sixers, and Ryan Kelly from the Hawks so they'd at least have some warm bodies on the roster.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Clippers run of relevance was kinda fun while it lasted.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Why didn't Houston just wait and sign Paul?

It would've been difficult for them to create the cap space. His max salary would've been over $30M/yr and they only had around $11M avaialble. This article does a good job of explaining it:

How the Rockets got Chris Paul without cap space

I don't know exactly how the rules work but apparently doing this trade now also allows the Rockets to use their mid-level exception (~$8.4M) on a free agent if they want, even though they're going to be over the cap. So they should be able to get a pretty decent rotation player with that money.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Obviously the Warriors are still the favourites, but I still love this move so much. They'll have the ability to stagger minutes between JAMES HARDEN and CHRIS PAUL in the playoffs. That is an amazing luxury. Both guys can take turns with the ball when they're together, and surrounding both with shooters will work wonders. Capela becomes Paul's new DeAndre. Also, Paul playing in the midrange can help with spacing. They were way too unwilling to shoot that shot vs San Antonio, who gave it to them. Next season is gonna be funnnnnnn

This guy is really smart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad