Trade: [LAC/HOU] Chris Paul to HOU for Sam Dekker, Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams and a 1st

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Odd by CP3 as well. Both he and Harden need the ball to be at their most effective, they will basically hinder each other.

Losing depth on the bench and Beverly's defensive game won't help either.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Time for Harden to evolve and to become effective away from the ball, because Paul will definitely be bringing the ball up the court.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Weird ass decision by Paul. He'd be the perfect fit with the Spurs.

Harden at SG is a totally different player, too. One addition but the team's identity will change alot again next year.

Houston also loses a lot of value for a player they could've gotten for free just 3 days later.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Paul choosing Hou over SA seems idiotic, at least in terms of winning. Was the money that different?

Don't think so. Spurs could offer him just as much with the rumors of dealing Green and/or Aldridge. No difference in tax-income, either, seeing both are from Texas.

Paul wanted to sign for HOU earlier in his career. Not sure about the link..

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Apparently Harden and Paul always wanted to play with each other and he told the Clips he was signing with Houston regardless of what they did. They both love having control of the ball so who knows.

Houston is still going after PG13, so maybe Morey is trying to up GSW.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I got to say, while I'm skeptical of this "working" all that well, I respect Morey for going for it. Far too many teams just seem to accept that they won't be able to compete for the next 3-4 years so they don't bother trying to get better.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
According to Woj:

Paul had a strong desire to play with Rockets All-Star guard James Harden, which led to the Clippers working out a trade with Houston, league sources said. Los Angeles was able to secure several tradable assets and a draft pick in the deal. The Clippers risked losing Paul for nothing in free agency.

Paul and Harden discussed the possibility of a partnership at length, believing they can find a way to thrive together, league sources said.

This sounds like a couple of stars deciding they wanted to play together and mgmt going along. Paul has one year left on his current contract so he could leave after next season. Sounds like a huge risk for Houston.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I got to say, while I'm skeptical of this "working" all that well, I respect Morey for going for it. Far too many teams just seem to accept that they won't be able to compete for the next 3-4 years so they don't bother trying to get better.

Then be smarter about it. Go after Butler, he'd been a much better fit.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Just because Chris Paul is arriving doesn't mean that James Harden should have to relinquish the way he played last season. He was 2nd in MVP voting behind Westbrook for a reason.

You don't ask the 27 year old superstar in the prime of his career to change the way he plays because you're bringing in a 32 year old star who is in all likelihood exiting the prime of his career.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
You can't expect Harden to dish out 12 dimes a game when you just traded for one of the top playmaking point guards of this decade.

Things will certainly change next season for the Rockets, including Harden's game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->