Trade: [LAA/DET] Justin Upton to the Angels

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
To me, this means Upton is opting out this winter.

Good on the Angels for going for it. They have gotten virtually nothing out of LF this year. Great fit.

But Ken throws cold water on my theory:

But JP confirms it.

Last edited:

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
He's due $88.5M over the next four years. He won't beat that AAV, but he could probably get more than that in total. It's crazy that he just turned 30 a few days ago.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Upton may not opt out if he sees the Angels as contenders. Even if he does, its a good trade for them, he can help with the wild card push and it cost them a minor prospect.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
this is a good move but why not go out and get pitching instead?

that offense has shown they can be consistent but the pitching is a whole different story

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

that offense has shown they can be consistent but the pitching is a whole different story

What impact pitchers are available? Verlander would put Angels above Luxury Tax and he has a full NTC and clearly would not waive for LAA.

Angels farm is also severly depleted so they wouldn't really have the prospects to get someone on a good deal under control ala a Sonny Gray.

Angels really are not in a good spot for the present or future.

Oct 18, 2011

LF has been a big hole if you can get a player this good for so little you gotta do it

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
No one wanted to believe it but I had a feeling Upton was going to opt out. With Detroit moving towards a rebuild and Upton rebounding with a really solid season, I would have contemplated it as well.

As far as I know, JD Martinez is the only other top tier bat on the market. Might not get as much but he should do fine if he opts out. Outside of Trout, there isn't much of a reason to stay in Anaheim either.

The second AL wild card is mediocre to say the least.

Tigers did okay getting something for someone who had decided to leave and may have needed to open up the LF spot for someone else anyhow next season.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
So more or less Maybin and Long for Upton. Solid move by Eppler even if Justin likely opts out after this year. If they can grab Phillips from Atlanta that would solidify their two weakest positions with Skaggs, Heaney, and eventually Richards all joining the pitching staff

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
What are the chances he doesnt opt out? Given his age is he going to get a monster contract?

I think a lot will depend on how good he thinks the Angels will be throughout his deal. This winter his only competition on the market seems to be JD Martinez, so I think he could get a decent deal somewhere. As big as what he currently has? Maybe, maybe not, but I think being somewhere he feels reasonably confident that it gives him a chance to win is significant to him.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think it will depend on if he wants to stay. He'll likely get about what he's due on the market, not much more or less.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I think the guy is more focused on winning games than a huge paycheck. Now, he certainly wants to be paid like everyone else. But I expected him to opt out before he infact stated to Detroit that he would do just that.

Playing with Trout for another year or two should intrigue him. But Anaheim is still a middling, fringe team. I wouldn't rule out him opting out.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
I think the guy is more focused on winning games than a huge paycheck. Now, he certainly wants to be paid like everyone else. But I expected him to opt out before he infact stated to Detroit that he would do just that.

Playing with Trout for another year or two should intrigue him. But Anaheim is still a middling, fringe team. I wouldn't rule out him opting out.
When Upton signed with the Tigers last year, many considered them to be a fringe team rather than a bona-fide contender. There are not too many teams which seem to be more stacked than the Angel looking for an expensive corner outfielder. Thus I expect Upton not to opt out, but to use this clause as leverage to negotiate some minor improvement (like a NTC).

Gruß,
BSHH

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
He's had a really good year. His best year since 2011. I can see teams offering him more than 4/88. I'd say 6/120-130 range.

Last winter people expected massive offers for Encarnacion, and he settled for 60/3. You never know, especially with Upton entering his 30's - plus I don't see many NL teams offering on him, if his body goes he's done whereas in the AL he can still DH.

Also I'd say this is his best year since 2014.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Last winter people expected massive offers for Encarnacion, and he settled for 60/3. You never know, especially with Upton entering his 30's - plus I don't see many NL teams offering on him, if his body goes he's done whereas in the AL he can still DH.

Also I'd say this is his best year since 2014.

Encarnacion is 2-3 years older and limited to 1B/DH.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->