Kings Article: LA Kings Are “Counting On” D Prospect Brandt Clarke To Make Kings 2023-24 Roster

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Defenseman prospect Brandt Clarke was the focus for all of us who cover the LA Kings at the first day of their 2023 Development Camp. He's impressive to talk to. Mature, confident in his play, knows he can always improve, and he wants to get better. Former Kings defenseman Sean O'Donnell had a lot to say about him, too.

It's all here...

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Really solid article and some good info from O’Donnell.

I was expecting the training staff to also mention that Clarke too will be converted into a winger as well.

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Interesting notes about Clarke’s weight. I think that was a major factor in the way the Kings moved Clarke around last season. He might have been mentally and skill wise ready for the big leagues, but the Kings wanted him to be more physically ready for defending NHL players.

Good to read that he’s near the 200 lb mark. The notes about the size of the Golden Knights D are insightful. Great article, Gann!

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
If Durzi was so bad and continually made the same mistakes, then why did this coaching staff keep putting him on the ice and in pressure D positions (tied or up/down 1 late, on the PK, LHD)? Why not shelter him and utilize him in spots where he can...hmmm, idk....succeed maybe?!?!

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
If Durzi was so bad and continually made the same mistakes, then why did this coaching staff keep putting him on the ice and in pressure D positions (tied or up/down 1 late, on the PK, LHD)? Why not shelter him and utilize him in spots where he can...hmmm, idk....succeed maybe?!?!
I guess they felt they had no other options?

Todd really seems to dislike Bjornfot. But Toby doesn't seem anywhere near as mistake prone as Durzi.

Even Moverare was a better option IMO.

Reactions: Telos

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I mean yes but honestly I didn’t read that as OD taking shots at Durzi, just that Clarke reminds him somewhat of Durzi. The rest seemed generic.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
PLAYERGPPlus/Minus
Michael Anderson7720
Vladislav Gavrikov 12012
Drew Doughty8112
Matt Roy828
Tobias Bjornfot101
Jordan Spence61
Jacob Moverare2-1
Brandt Clarke9-1
Alexander Edler64-1
Sean Walker70-3
Sean Durzi72-12

They say plus/minus is a worthless stat. But when one of your guys has an outlier negative +/- while not even getting the toughest matchups, I think that tells you something.

AbsentMojo

F-ing get up and hunt! Cmon Todd!
Apr 18, 2018
twitter.com
He was given the kind of leeway you'd more want Kaliyev and others to get. And the thing that is even more of a head scratcher is that Durzi was not going to improve his skating.. he was slow, is slow and will always be slow. Of all the prospects to develop he was the last one Id be giving extra assignments e.g. 2LD and PK that you mentioned... then they ditch him. If that was to drive up his trade value, was it worth it? F no it wasnt.

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I mean yes but honestly I didn’t read that as OD taking shots at Durzi, just that Clarke reminds him somewhat of Durzi. The rest seemed generic.
Yeah, I didn’t connect those dots either. Seemed like some big inferences being made.

Reactions: kingsfan28

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
PLAYERGPPlus/Minus
Michael Anderson7720
Vladislav Gavrikov 12012
Drew Doughty8112
Matt Roy828
Tobias Bjornfot101
Jordan Spence61
Jacob Moverare2-1
Brandt Clarke9-1
Alexander Edler64-1
Sean Walker70-3
Sean Durzi72-12

They say plus/minus is a worthless stat. But when one of your guys has an outlier negative +/- while not even getting the toughest matchups, I think that tells you something.
A good example of where it tells a story but needs supporting context… add the giveaway numbers as a starter as that’ll support it. It then tells an even bigger story over 2-3 seasons. It’s a great stat when used properly, not how it was getting used to assess Clarke on a daily basis.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
If he comes into camp at 205 we can put to bed the ‘need’ to go to the AHL because he’s too skinny.

Reactions: kinghock

Schrute farms

LA Kings: new GM wanted -- inquire within
Jul 7, 2020
Clarke -- 205lbs:
1688750995968.png

chris kontos

Feb 28, 2023
Yeah, I didn’t connect those dots either. Seemed like some big inferences being made.
I got that as well.
Scares the crap out of me that durzi is even mentioned with clarke.
Durzi would have been better off playing forward because he sure as hell isnt an nhl defenseman

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
also, "we need Kaliyev in our top 6" last offseason vibes

Count on Clarke starting the season at LHD for the swamp rabbits

Reactions: Schmooley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad