OT: LA Angels of Anaheim Baseball Discussion (continued again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DucksFanDFW

Sep 18, 2009
Ranger, TX
Guy couldn't even cut it in Round Rock and get's to finish up his career collecting 22 mil from a team he hasn't played for in a couple years.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
So.......Ohtani huh? I'm not sure what's better Ohtani signing for Anaheim or the fact that it f***s over the Mariners and DiPoto :laugh:

Certainly making the right moves to show to Trout they want to be a competitive team for the long haul. Hopefully a big step to convincing him to stay after his current contract is up.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
I'm keeping my expectations on the lower end for Ohtani. It's going to be a huge transition for him this year and he will have a target on his back. Also unsure how his usage will go with Pujols as the previous regular DH (I assume Cron will be traded). And, knowing our recent luck, he'll have an elbow injury by the time the season starts.
Very excited to see him play, though. And it's a really good feeling knowing we've only committed a couple million to him and not 10 years and $250 million.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
I'm pumped, the Angels look like a serious team again and I just have a soft spot for japanese players. Ohtani instantly becomes my favourite MLB player after Trout, f*** yeah!!!

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Jeez, I'm liable to have to start following baseball again. That's quite a coup for the Angels. Arte hasn't always made the right moves, but he certainly tries. Maybe this will finally turn the team around. The team was never able to win one for the Singing Cowboy. Hopefully they can get one for Arte. I'll never stop hating Michael Eisner for wearing a Mickey Mouse t-shirt when being presented the World Series trophy in 2002. :shakehead I attended all those WS games.

Oct 18, 2011
I'm more excited for Ohtani as a pitcher than hitter. His avg fastball is around 97, hope this elbow situation is a precaution.

Eppler has done a good job building the roster while trying to rebuild the farm. They should be competitive this season

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
I thought I read Ohtani's fastball has been clocked at 102?

Also kind of wondering/worrying about the elbow report. That doesn't sound good for a hard throwing pitcher.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm more excited for Ohtani as a pitcher than hitter. His avg fastball is around 97, hope this elbow situation is a precaution.

Eppler has done a good job building the roster while trying to rebuild the farm. They should be competitive this season
Ohtani fastball is great and stuff but his slider is top notch... I'm in love with luis severinos slider and honestly ohtanis puts it to shame. Not an angel fan but I got to all the Yankees vs Angels game itll be fun to watch ohtani pitch vs those yankee hitters.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
So.......Ohtani huh? I'm not sure what's better Ohtani signing for Anaheim or the fact that it ****s over the Mariners and DiPoto :laugh:

Certainly making the right moves to show to Trout they want to be a competitive team for the long haul. Hopefully a big step to convincing him to stay after his current contract is up.

We won the sweepstakes for Ohtani, but it was really all his choosing. He wanted an west coast team. Out are Cubs and Texas from the final 7. He didn't want a big city team. Out are SF and LA. That leaves 3 teams: Sea, SD, and Anaheim (errr... damnit Angels). He also had another condition, he didn't want to be where other Japanese players have been established. Out were the Mariners. So it just boiled down to two teams on the west coast, SD and Angels. The choice was quite easy when looking at baseball stuff between the Padres and Angels.

But what I didn't know was that Eppler was doing was Ducks' GM Murray does, scouting early and before the competition. Eppler was in on Ohtani since his early high school days, back when Eppler was assistant GM for the Yankees.

As long as Arte stays away from baseball decisions, then we should be good hands with Eppler and the future. Trout is playing with two other GOATs on the team now. Simba is a defensive GOAT. Ohtani is Japan's GOAT. Gotta give up to Eppler, Goat herder. The more talent Eppler accrues, the easier it is for Trout to want to stay.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

I read in a baseball forum that Ohtani becomes the Angels top prospect as a hitter with power. No one else on the farm comes close to his power. Now that's either scary bad (we have no power bats on the farm developing) or scary good (Ohtani is that much of a weapon batting!). I didn't know much about Ohtani until recently b/c I thought he's probably sign with the Yankees. But his two way game is for real. But yeah, we do have to temper expectations b/c he is making that transition and it might not translate completely. Yet, the production was there from the Nippon league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad