Prospect Info: L. Brown - potential

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
As the prospect rankings are wrapping up, I thought I'd do a little activity to see what we all expect from our prospects.

Select the poll option that is closest to what you see as the players potential.

#3 - Logan Brown

If you think Brown will be a winger, select NHL winger AND another option (i.e if you think Brown will be a 35 point winger, select options NHL Winger and #3C). Otherwise, please select only one option.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I'm a Brown critic. Don't like the work ethic (at least perceived) on a project player.

Don't think he necessarily busts as in a career AHL'er, but think he doesn't live up to his draft slot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Who knows with this guy? Could be a top line centre on this team someday, some where around 40 to 50 pts or better hopefully.

1. Brown
2. White
3. Bowers/Chlapik
4. Paul

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Who knows with this guy? Could be a top line centre on this team someday, some where around 40 to 50 pts or better hopefully.

1. Brown
2. White
3. Bowers/Chlapik
4. Paul

You think that the team will let all of Turris, Pageau and Brassard walk?

Or is that just a depth chart of our center prospects?

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
55-60 points but a 2nd line center.

Though, at this rate by the time he makes the NHL and breaks out offensively, 45 points will be a 1st liner.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Brown has not scored enough to be a first line center prospect at this time. I see second line center potential due to his playmaking and dominant size, possibly converted into a power winger if his speed does not improve.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Brown has not scored enough to be a first line center prospect at this time. I see second line center potential due to his playmaking and dominant size, possibly converted into a power winger if his speed does not improve.

Brown already skates better than Spezza did when he broke into the league, imo.

I think he can be a better skater than a lot of the skilled big centers you see in the league (Spezza/Thornton/Getzlaf/etc.), and he's even bigger than 99% of them. Just needs some agility and strength training for those legs. Mix that with his great hockey IQ, hands, passing ability, underrated shot and you have a very intriguing set of skills.

Just realized I said pretty much the same thing in another thread. Oh well :laugh:

Could end up like Spezza or like Da Costa. Hard to know. I didn't vote.

I don't understand the comparison. Da Costa was a relatively undersized center with a soft perimeter game (despite his great skill). How does he relate to Brown?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Got to watch Brown a few games at the WJSS including tonights 7-5 win over CA.

He was centering Mittelstadt and Yamamoto. He was no where near as dominant as he was in the U18 tournament last year. Mittelstadt was the best player on that line by a good margin. Although Brown looked noticeably slower than his wingers he managed to be productive in most of the games. Tonight he went pointless and looked slow again in a fast paced WJC style game. He also had difficulty when battling in close quarter scrums. It's a summer tournament and it means nothing other than cementing a place on the national team but he'll need to improve his skating and learn to be more assertive in the scrums. Poehling's line with Anderson and Tkachuk was the USAs best line tonight.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Brown already skates better than Spezza did when he broke into the league, imo.

I think he can be a better skater than a lot of the skilled big centers you see in the league (Spezza/Thornton/Getzlaf/etc.), and he's even bigger than 99% of them. Just needs some agility and strength training for those legs. Mix that with his great hockey IQ, hands, passing ability, underrated shot and you have a very intriguing set of skills.

Just realized I said pretty much the same thing in another thread. Oh well :laugh:

I don't understand the comparison. Da Costa was a relatively undersized center with a soft perimeter game (despite his great skill). How does he relate to Brown?

Regarding your first paragraph, You are consistent which is good!

I don't think Dr. Easy was comparing them regarding skill sets, but just talking about outcomes. Da Costa ended up in the KHL which is the outcome he is identifying.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I don't think Dr. Easy was comparing them regarding skill sets, but just talking about outcomes. Da Costa ended up in the KHL which is the outcome he is identifying.

Sure, I got that, but my point is that they are so different as players that the comparison doesn't stand together. They have nothing in common other than great hands, passing ability and vision (OK. they have a few things haha).

If we're comparing outcomes only then it could have been Filatov to Brown just as much as Da Costa... Brown isn't going to the KHL... He's a surefire NHLer, the point is which line will he be playing on?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
The guy has all the tools to be a first line centre, his brain hasn't caught up with his growth yet. If he could learn to play his size, is he skilled enough to be a dominant centre?

I see him more like a boom/bust high risk/reward kind of a prospect, with 1C as his potential.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Since we're talking potential, 1C in the mould of Getzlaf.
Do I think he will get there? No. I think he will be a Boyle/Bjugstad esc centre.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Regarding your first paragraph, You are consistent which is good!

Thank you, yes that's what I was going for. You can be a great playmaking centre and still not make it to the show. Lots of "moving parts" (areas of concern) with Brown, far from a slam dunk.

Sure, I got that, but my point is that they are so different as players that the comparison doesn't stand together. They have nothing in common other than great hands, passing ability and vision (OK. they have a few things haha :D).

If we're comparing outcomes only then it could have been Filatov to Brown just as much as Da Costa... Brown isn't going to the KHL... He's a surefire NHLer, the point is which line will he be playing on?
(I added the smiley)

If Brown doesn't make it to the top 6, I'm not sure he'll make it at all. But odds are he'll make it to the top 6. Contrast with White. If White can't make it to the top 6, he'll still find room anywhere else in the line-up, centre, winger, whatever. Now that's a surefire NHLer in my book.

Da Costa should have made it too, for one thing he seemed to have the grit that people are saying (don't know myself) Brown lacks. If Da Costa can't make it, lots of talented people can't make it.

The guy has all the tools to be a first line centre, his brain hasn't caught up with his growth yet. If he could learn to play his size, is he skilled enough to be a dominant centre?

I see him more like a boom/bust high risk/reward kind of a prospect, with 1C as his potential.

That's exactly the kind of comments I keep reading that I'm basing my opinion on. There always seems to be an "if".

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I don't think I answered the poll properly...

I think his realistic POTENTIAL is 2C.

However, I don't think he will reach that. I think he'll be a 3C or complimentary 2nd line winger. That being said, I've always been extremely skeptical with Brown and never really liked him to begin with.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I don't think I answered the poll properly...

I think his realistic POTENTIAL is 2C.

However, I don't think he will reach that. I think he'll be a 3C or complimentary 2nd line winger. That being said, I've always been extremely skeptical with Brown and never really liked him to begin with.

I think that's part of the problem with the question. It's wide open to interpretation.

Are we talking realistically where we think a kid will slot? Or are we talking his ceiling? Or just what we're hoping he'll do?

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think that's part of the problem with the question. It's wide open to interpretation.

Are we talking realistically where we think a kid will slot? Or are we talking his ceiling? Or just what we're hoping he'll do?

I agree, it's very vague and hard to evaluate since the question can be interpreted in so many ways. His ceiling is definitely #1C, realistic potential? That's between 1C and 2C depending on what you think about him. Then there's what you think he will actually be...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad