Kypreos: Almost all revenue talk in yesterday's meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
On the Fan 590 just now, saying that in yesterday's meeting (the NHL/PA meeting), almost all of the talk was about revenue, with lots and lots of apparently meaningful, constructive talk about how to define revenue, how to police the reporting of revenue, what the penalties would be for mis-reporting, etc. He said that near the end, Jacobs had his little hissy-fit, and that kind of caused a negative spin to be put on the meeting, but that it really had been constructive for the most part. This has to be viewed as positive to me... the fact that they were having these types of lengthy and detailed discussions on revenues has to mean they're working seriously with the thought of revenue sharing in mind and most likely that the PA's most recent framework is still being negotiated.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Well, I can see why Jeremy Jacobs might be a little touchy on the subject of defining revenues. :)

X0ssbar

Doug MacLean was just on here localy in Columbus (they had John Davidson on as well). Jeff Rimer asked him if revenue sharing was the big hangup in negotiations and Doug said that revenue sharing is now a non-issue. He didn't expand any further on that unfortunately.

So either 1.) the revenue sharing issue has been addressed or 2.) it was never much of an issue to being with.

My money is on 1.) - especially given Bettman's trip to TO last week.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Top Shelf said:
Doug MacLean was just on here localy in Columbus (they had John Davidson on as well). Jeff Rimer asked him if revenue sharing was the big hangup in negotiations and Doug said that revenue sharing is now a non-issue. He didn't expand any further on that unfortunately.

So either 1.) the revenue sharing issue has been addressed or 2.) it was never much of an issue to being with.

My money is on 1.) - especially given Bettman's trip to TO last week.
Wow, that's an interesting comment. Were those his exact words? (And just out of curiosity, did the interviewer at least try to get him to expand on it?)

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
On the Fan 590 just now, saying that in yesterday's meeting (the NHL/PA meeting), almost all of the talk was about revenue, with lots and lots of apparently meaningful, constructive talk about how to define revenue, how to police the reporting of revenue, what the penalties would be for mis-reporting, etc. He said that near the end, Jacobs had his little hissy-fit, and that kind of caused a negative spin to be put on the meeting, but that it really had been constructive for the most part. This has to be viewed as positive to me... the fact that they were having these types of lengthy and detailed discussions on revenues has to mean they're working seriously with the thought of revenue sharing in mind and most likely that the PA's most recent framework is still being negotiated.

Anyone who is causing a negative outlook on negotiations and instead spends there time creating meaningless negative remarks to say to the media, should be excluded from the talks. For God sakes.

X0ssbar

ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Wow, that's an interesting comment. Were those his exact words? (And just out of curiosity, did the interviewer at least try to get him to expand on it?)

I am paraphrasing but that's essentially what he said/implied. For those interested you can hear the interview for youselves at this link - the interview was between the 6 - 7 o'clock hour. Today's show might not be updated yet.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Jacobs is a fool.

It is clear that the PA left some players out of the meeting, some of them that are a little more hardline. The owners should do the same in order to get this deal done. Leave Jacobs out of everything until the vote to ratify the deal.

King_Brown

Im glad Jermey is part of these talks, the players deserve everything that is bad to them for what they have done.

jaws

Mar 12, 2005
Stittsvegas
King_Brown said:
Im glad Jermey is part of these talks, the players deserve everything that is bad to them for what they have done.

For what they've done, eh? Yeah, because their the ones who started the lockout, giving themselves millions, forcing the league to expand into the sunbelt, the marketing, the ticket prices, its all the players fault, eh? :shakehead

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
King_Brown said:

com'on pal....

yeah... we can dislike the players for not seeing the light sooner... but the owners have made their mistakes... and share in the blame...... but they have been doing what they thought was in their best interest.....

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
jaws said:
For what they've done, eh? Yeah, because their the ones who started the lockout, giving themselves millions, forcing the league to expand into the sunbelt, the marketing, the ticket prices, its all the players fault, eh? :shakehead

:clap:

R0CKET

Jul 2, 2004
jaws said:

Oh the inhumaity of it all, forcing those poor unsuspecting minor league hockey players to play in those sunbelt NHL cities and average 1.3 million per season.

What a bunch of heartless pricks.

This is why the NHLPA's arguement is so blanantly stupid.

Wake the F up, for godsakes please wake the F up.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Since the good word comes from the horse's mouth, Nick Kypreos is the horse's ass.

SedinFan*

Didn't Bettman come out and say today that it's not about 'philosophical differences', it's about the number. I believe that's the first time someone has said that, I know the PA gave into a cap, but to hear that 'philosophical differences are no longer an issue makes me smile.

If this is true about revenue sharing, then in my opinion this is the best news possible for a hockey fan (next to a CBA solution).

Hockey_Nut99

Both sides have made mistakes. There is no doubt about that. I just hate when the players say it is all Gary's fault. He overexpanded into places where he shouldn't have, blah blah blah. For gods sake. Gary got a whole bunch of non nhl'ers extra jobs and raised the NHL revenue up to 2.1 billion!! Why didn't the nhl players ever complain 5 years ago? Yeah Bettman hasn't been perfect, but the players were just milking the system which they had a right to, until it expired. Only now they say the NHl shouldn't have expanded and such...Both sides are idiots but these comments from the players really tick me off, especially since the players only benefited from all this.

The players, in my eyes, just have shown a lack of respect. That's all. I do like how they are approaching things now though. Things look a little brighter.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
well , if its down to simply agreeing on numbers , then it was certainly a good meeting .

I think its great that they are going about the negotiations slowly with regards to how rev is shared ,how income is reported , the penalties to owners if they hide income etc..etc..

jaws

Mar 12, 2005
Stittsvegas
R0CKET said:
Oh the inhumaity of it all, forcing those poor unsuspecting minor league hockey players to play in those sunbelt NHL cities and average 1.3 million per season.

What a bunch of heartless pricks.

This is why the NHLPA's arguement is so blanantly stupid.

Wake the F up, for godsakes please wake the F up.

I'm not saying the players are paying the price for the NHL going into cities it shouldn't have, I'm just pointing out that the players aren't the ones who decided to expand into those cities. If the league wants to expand to 100 cities, sure, its great for hockey players' finanical perspective, as more and more will make more money. But the wild expansion spree in the 90s was not a player decision, but an owner one. What's one of the major problems in the NHL? Over expansion or expanding when the league wasn't ready to do so. Who did that? The owners.

My comments were directed at someone who was blaming the players for everything, and that is simply not the case. Expansion, high salaries, rule changes, expanding the CBA twice, marketing, the lockout, ticket prices, this is all the owners doing. Have a good night.

jaws

Mar 12, 2005
Stittsvegas
Hockey_Nut99 said:
Both sides have made mistakes. There is no doubt about that. I just hate when the players say it is all Gary's fault. He overexpanded into places where he shouldn't have, blah blah blah. For gods sake. Gary got a whole bunch of non nhl'ers extra jobs and raised the NHL revenue up to 2.1 billion!! Why didn't the nhl players ever complain 5 years ago? Yeah Bettman hasn't been perfect, but the players were just milking the system which they had a right to, until it expired. Only now they say the NHl shouldn't have expanded and such...Both sides are idiots but these comments from the players really tick me off, especially since the players only benefited from all this.

The players, in my eyes, just have shown a lack of respect. That's all. I do like how they are approaching things now though. Things look a little brighter.

Everyone loves to compare the NHL to other businesses, so I'm gonna do that okay? Here we go.

If a business, wants to expand, hire more employees, who's gonna object? No one, right? Right. The business says its doing good, thus it needs more workers, can handle more projects, make more profits, etc. Everyone is happy. But almost immediately after expanding, the business dives downward. What happened? The business was either not ready to expand, or expanded into the wrong markets. Who's to blame? The employees, who should have said "hold on boss, don't give more money to other employees," or do you blame the owners, who run the business, know all the financial stuff, make the key, big decisions, etc. Who's fault is it? Obviously its the owners.

Now lets look at the NHL. Over the past year or so, they've basically been saying they've been hurting since the CBA was signed about 10 years ago. Yet what do they do? Expand. What kind of a business expands when it is unhealthy?

Now they're two major reasons why the NHL expanded, to receive expansion fees and too try and get a large US TV deal. In the process, they needed more players, thus needed to pay more guys, some of whom belong in the minors. If I'm a player, I look at this like, "okay, the league must be going well, the union gets bigger, more players to go around, hey, this is great."

Obviously, the league was not ready or over did it, thus is now paying the price. And you're blaming the players for not wanting expansion since day one? Why should they oppose if that's what the owners wanted to do, creating more jobs in the process? If the owners want to shell out more money to their minor league buddies, why should they object? Is it the players' responsibility to keep the business healthy, or is it the responsibility of the owners, who own the business, to make all the business related decisions? These owners are all billionaires, they know what their doin', why should I, a hockey player, step into their expansion plans?

And even if a majority of players did oppose the move to expand, do you honestly think that the owners, hungry for their expansion fee money and US TV deal, would listen? Did they listen to the fans who opposed the rapid expansion? No.

You ask why the players didn't complain 5 years ago. Well why didn't owners complain 5 years ago that this CBA was robbing them? Why did they expand this CBA, the one that they simply cannot live with anymore, not once but twice?

Last edited:

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Top Shelf said:
I am paraphrasing but that's essentially what he said/implied. For those interested you can hear the interview for youselves at this link - the interview was between the 6 - 7 o'clock hour. Today's show might not be updated yet.
Has anyone else been able to play that most recent "Big Show?" It just hangs when I try.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
jaws said:
You ask why the players didn't complain 5 years ago. Well why didn't owners complain 5 years ago that this CBA was robbing them? Why did they expand this CBA, the one that they simply cannot live with anymore, not once but twice?
They asked the players several times to negotiate a new deal. The players said no thanks - which was well within the rights of the players. The NHL decided to hold off on the lockout as long as they could in the hopes the players would agree to come to the table and sort things out by the end of the agreement. Now the owners are keeping the doors shut until they get a deal that gives the teams a legitimate chance to break even - well within the rights of the League.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
HF2002 said:
They asked the players several times to negotiate a new deal. The players said no thanks - which was well within the rights of the players. The NHL decided to hold off on the lockout as long as they could in the hopes the players would agree to come to the table and sort things out by the end of the agreement. Now the owners are keeping the doors shut until they get a deal that gives the teams a legitimate chance to break even - well within the rights of the League.

Bull crap, the owners didn't want to miss out on any of that expansion money. Thats why they kept on extending a CBA they knew wasn't working.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
HF2002 said:

Yeah.. so thats why the renewed the deal.... twice....

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
HF2002 said:

They didn't hold off on the lockout, they locked the doors as soon as they possibly could, at the very second the CBA expired. Since they knowingly extended the CBA til 2004, there couldn't possibly be a lockout before 2004. And the only reason they extended the deal was to milk millions out of Minnesota, Columbus et al.

And they're not shutting the doors until they get a deal that gives teams a legitimate chance to break even, if that was the case they'd be open by now. They shut down the game to get a deal that gives each team an ironclad guarantee of huge profits for all, despite their own incompetence and ineptitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->