Kyle Turris

fancy dan*

After being disconnected from junior hockey and specifically the BCHL for nearly a decade, i decided to take the plunge back in and headed to langley on tuesday, then wednesday to see what all this hype is about over turris. i have seen his dominant numbers and wanted to see the product in person.

please understand as stated above i am merely a fan, i know they pay scouts a lot of money to make these kind of decisions, and there are many, many people more in the know about turris, this is merely my observation.

the first game, i noticed him immediately. great skater, good hands, and a good shot he was constantly looking to use. what struck me the most was his passing, as he made several poised confident passes to players who didn't appear to be open at all. i was also thoroughly impressived with his speed down low, coming off the cycle with the puck and into scoring positions. he played the point on the power play, and it was obvious that team protocol was to get him the puck, then start from there. a big responsibilty for such a young player no doubt. his team ended up losing and i left the rink thinking that for a kid with such massive numbers, he had been underused by his coach (though he surely played 25+ minutes). hindsight being that the coach was likely saving him for game seven.

in game seven he wasn't nearly as noticeable. what i did notice was how much he played, and i think that speaks volumes about a coach's confidence in a player in a must win game. time and time again he was thrown on the ice, playing an almost incredible amount. (so i say he wasn't noticeable, but played tonnes, thats because i was specifically watching him). in the end his team won in overtime, so hopefully i can see him again.

all in all i am impressed with this kid. i don't think you could look at his numbers and not be. i found him to be very "heady" with great hockey sense, and excellent positioning in all zones.

if i was to offer one knock it would be his size. this kid is slight. i mean really small in the legs and seems like he has a lot of growing left to do. he's listed at 6 foot, 165lbs, and even that may be generous (weight wise). this should be fixed by time and of course getting into a rigorous NCAA training program.

on a side note, i was amazing at how non-physical the BCHL was (or at least that series). very wide open and so little hitting that when you saw one you said "hey a hit". this may be a factor in evaluating turris as well.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
I was also at game 7 on Wednesday and watched Turris closely. I've seen better performances by him, but it was a tight game. Lots of shots but not a ton of scoring opportunities.

One thing I notice about Turris is how much he wants to help his team win. He's clearly the best player on the ice every night of the season in the BCHL, but he does all the little things to help out still. He kills penalties, uses his teammates effectively and listens to his coach (I was sitting front row behind the bench on Wednesday). He doesn't goal suck or hog the puck at all, and is constantly creating scoring chances.

He does get a ton of ice time. When he gets off the ice the coach has him stay right up front ready to go on again. He must get 25+ minutes a game. He has excellent speed and is very smart in the offensive zone. He plays the point on the PP as well.

He is very skinny as mentioned. Even with his gear on his legs are the same size as someone's bare legs would be. I've seen him lose the puck along the boards in the neutral zone fairly easily on a couple of occasions. He doesn't play physical at all but then again, the BCHL doesn't seem to have a lot of big hits as noted. He is very good at avoiding hits in the corners and coming out with the puck though.

I would say in the WHL he would have had 35-40 goals easily this season.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
OT winner last night.

Nanimo would be a heavy favourite in this series but with Turris it wouldn't be much of an upset at all. Burnaby now with a 1-0 lead after last night

( Nanimo, regular season champs, ranked in top 15 in CJAHL throughout the entire season) Tu

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
OT winner last night.

Nanimo would be a heavy favourite in this series but with Turris it wouldn't be much of an upset at all. Burnaby now with a 1-0 lead after last night

( Nanimo, regular season champs, ranked in top 15 in CJAHL throughout the entire season) Tu
I was at that game and the kid is unreal i think he logged 29 minutes that game. he scored a shorthanded goal and the overtime winner. his skating is what impressed me the most.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Turris' birthplace and birthdate anyone? I cant find those stats anywhere

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Nobody seems worriedabout Patrick Kane's size and Turris is taller and heavier than him by a longshot, plus 10 months younger and can still grow--don't worry,they will muscle him up in the Wisconsin weight room plus give him lots of protean shakes--he'll be 61.5 195-200 by the time he turns pro..

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Nobody seems worriedabout Patrick Kane's size and Turris is taller and heavier than him by a longshot, plus 10 months younger and can still grow--don't worry,they will muscle him up in the Wisconsin weight room plus give him lots of protean shakes--he'll be 61.5 195-200 by the time he turns pro..

By a longshot? Kane gives up 3-4 inches on Turris and weighs roughly 5 pounds less. There's something to be said for the stock of a player here and that's the concern here.

fancy dan*

so i went and watched last nights game against nanaimo. if i sounded luke warm on this kid in my original post, i'm changing my tune after last nights 3-0 win. he set up two goals and scored another into an empty net. these weren't second assists, these were him finding players for one-timer goals. Two other times he set up players for what looked like empty nets, but they couldn't throw it into the ocean. this kid distributes the puck with amazing maturity. and basically saucer passes bullets on the tape with every pass. i was also impressed with his first three steps, going from stopped to full speed way faster than others on the ice. i think he has an incredible upside and would be a great pick for any team that gets him. he was flattened in the first and cheap shoted in a hard way in the third but bounced back both times. for the size of him you expect him to be crushed and to stay down, but he seems durable.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
so i went and watched last nights game against nanaimo. if i sounded luke warm on this kid in my original post, i'm changing my tune after last nights 3-0 win. he set up two goals and scored another into an empty net. these weren't second assists, these were him finding players for one-timer goals. Two other times he set up players for what looked like empty nets, but they couldn't throw it into the ocean. this kid distributes the puck with amazing maturity. and basically saucer passes bullets on the tape with every pass. i was also impressed with his first three steps, going from stopped to full speed way faster than others on the ice. i think he has an incredible upside and would be a great pick for any team that gets him. he was flattened in the first and cheap shoted in a hard way in the third but bounced back both times. for the size of him you expect him to be crushed and to stay down, but he seems durable.
I Agree very good player.although his empty net goal didn't really go in lol. sometimes i wonder why the bchl is so bushleague

fancy dan*

the empty net goal surely went in. i watched it from behind the net... it went off the middle bar and out

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
the empty net goal surely went in. i watched it from behind the net... it went off the middle bar and out
Really lots of people were saying that it didnt fair enough. it's fun watching him single handlely winning the series for burnaby.although burnaby's goalie has been quite well too:handclap:

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Burnaby was eliminated from the BCHL playoffs tonight, thus Turris' BCHL days are over. This frees him up to play in the U18's for Canada.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
A close friend of mine was at the game last night, and apparently Turris went down hard after a hit early in the first, didn't return at all. Not sure if it was a dirty hit or not, but yeah...here's hoping he's okay!

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
Ya Turris got injured last night in a knee on knee collison, I heard it was dirty though. If he could have played in the 3rd I bet his Express would have came back and won.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
Ya Turris got injured last night in a knee on knee collison, I heard it was dirty though. If he could have played in the 3rd I bet his Express would have came back and won.

I just talked to my friend again about the game, and Turris stayed for another 5 min, scored a goal, then didn't play again til the end of the 3rd. He almost scored too. This friend (who is a BCHL linesman so he tends to see these hits at this level a lot) also said the hit was not dirty at all, just got caught up in the neutral zone.

That kid has a lot of heart and is definitely something special. Oh how I would love for the Canucks to trade up and draft him...but tis a pipe dream

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
After listening to Paul Holmgren speak, I think the Flyers will be taking wither Kane or Turris. He did mention how slight he is, with the specific comment being "legs are so thin, looks like he's playing without shin pads"

When asked about Cherpanov the comment was "depends on the night you see him, some nights you walk away marveling at his talent and ability, and other nights you walk away shaking your head, wondering if he was even on the ice"

Bam Beet*

Sakic is a good comparison for Turris. Even Eric Staal is a decent comparison at the same age since both are tall and very lanky with wicked shots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad