Player Discussion Kyle Turris

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is one big centre who could be available this summer as a UFA & would only cost around $3 mil in salary for a few yrs. Hanzal is not ideal as a #1 centre & probably playing above his pay grade but he would be a transitional piece until one of our young centres emerge & he can be pushed down the roster. Hanzal is 6'6", 230 lbs, experienced & an excellent faceoff guy. He is a good two way defensive forward, he can play centre or the wing, is only 30 yrs old, is a decent skater for a guy his size, he can play up & down the lineup & he had 39 pts last yr so he can chip in offensively especially, if he is playing with Stone & Hoffman.

He would be ideal to match up against any other centre in the league because he is so good defensively & because of his size, strength & faceoff ability. IMO he would improve the team & it wouldn't cost anywhere near what it would cost for Tavares, Duchene, Landeskog or Drouin. Hanzal is exactly the kind of player Paul & Brown could learn from in all aspects of the game, especially Brown who most likely will have to learn to be better defensively. If MacArthur gets hurt again, Dzingel replaces him as he did last yr, Smith moves up & McCormick takes his 4th line LW spot. This allows management to wait for the ideal trade scenario to come along & have the necessary cap space & assets in place to make the right deal or to wait for the young players to mature & begin to contribute at the NHL level.

Hoffman - Hanzal - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Dzingel - Brassard - Burrows
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt/McCormick

Sign me up for the addition of Hanzal. I do not see Paul or Stalberg in this roster. I still like it.

I am not fixated on the line arrangements, but Hanzel does add much needed size and strength.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Starting July 1st, Dorion will have the ability to start discussing a contract extension with Turris. I wonder how much money he will be demanding.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There is one big centre who could be available this summer as a UFA & would only cost around $3 mil in salary for a few yrs. Hanzal is not ideal as a #1 centre & probably playing above his pay grade but he would be a transitional piece until one of our young centres emerge & he can be pushed down the roster. Hanzal is 6'6", 230 lbs, experienced & an excellent faceoff guy. He is a good two way defensive forward, he can play centre or the wing, is only 30 yrs old, is a decent skater for a guy his size, he can play up & down the lineup & he had 39 pts last yr so he can chip in offensively especially, if he is playing with Stone & Hoffman.

He would be ideal to match up against any other centre in the league because he is so good defensively & because of his size, strength & faceoff ability. IMO he would improve the team & it wouldn't cost anywhere near what it would cost for Tavares, Duchene, Landeskog or Drouin. Hanzal is exactly the kind of player Paul & Brown could learn from in all aspects of the game, especially Brown who most likely will have to learn to be better defensively. If MacArthur gets hurt again, Dzingel replaces him as he did last yr, Smith moves up & McCormick takes his 4th line LW spot. This allows management to wait for the ideal trade scenario to come along & have the necessary cap space & assets in place to make the right deal or to wait for the young players to mature & begin to contribute at the NHL level.

Hoffman - Hanzal - Stone
MacArthur - Turris - Ryan
Dzingel - Brassard - Burrows
Smith - Pageau - Pyatt/McCormick

Considering the budget & after the role & playoffs Pageau had it's not fair to bring in a centre & push him down to the 4th line. But Ottawa could still use a big strong centre & they have one in Nick Paul who is NHL ready & can play on the 4th line since he is very good defensively & decent at draws.

Hoffman - Turris - Stone
MacArthur - Brassard - Ryan
Dzingel - Pageau - Burrows
Smith - Paul - Pyatt/McCormick

Last edited:

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Starting July 1st, Dorion will have the ability to start discussing a contract extension with Turris. I wonder how much money he will be demanding.
McDavid and the Oilers started talks before July 1, so I guess Dorion could have started already. I guess he'll be demanding quite a bit because our perception today of what a large contract might be different than what the market will bear out now.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
https://capfriendly.com/signings/all/all/forwards/1-15/4000000-14500000

Look at the equivalent players. Turris won't be getting 6mil+ unless his agent is really good.

You're missing a key component in your analysis... Timing of contract.

Most of these contracts were signed while these players were still RFAs which diminishes their negotiating power a lot.

Looks at the guys who signed contracts who were in their prime years and UFAs, guys like Backes, Plekanec(just to name a few) are making 6M and are not better players than Turris.

Turris would easily get 6M on the open market. Players who can produce 55-65 points on a yearly basis and that can score 25 goals + that signed their contract in recent years while being UFAs are making 6M and more.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If Im Ottawa i wouldnt be stupid enough to pay him 1st line money. He isn't a first line player in the playoffs thus he should not be getting paid like one.

Trade him while you're ahead.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Look at the equivalent players. Turris won't be getting 6mil+ unless his agent is really good.

You're missing a key component in your analysis... Timing of contract.

Most of these contracts were signed while these players were still RFAs which diminishes their negotiating power a lot.

Looks at the guys who signed contracts who were in their prime years and UFAs, guys like Backes, Plekanec(just to name a few) are making 6M and are not better players than Turris.

Turris would easily get 6M on the open market. Players who can produce 55-65 points on a yearly basis and that can score 25 goals + that signed their contract in recent years while being UFAs are making 6M and more.

I was saying he should ask for $6 mil + . What he gets is still an open question.

I could see what was just mentioned, $5.75 mil a year being an agreed upon price, but I'm almost certain he will get more than Ottawa really wants to pay him.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Turris is gonna point to Kopy and Toews in his negotiations. obviously theres the lack of cups but still.

Im down to offer extra term and a better NTC/NMC to lower his caphit

7years*5.9M
NMC/NTC = Can only accept a trade to 10 teams.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

A big chunk of those players were signed off of their ELC deals which greatly lowers the expected level of salary.

Here's a small breakdown I did of comparable contracts a few weeks ago....

Thinking of centers who signed UFA year contracts in mid 2015 or later after it was evident the falling Canadian dollar would effect the cap, these contracts come to mind.....

Ryan Kesler 32 years old 6 years 6.875M
Frans Nielson 32 years old 6 years 5.25M
Ryan O'Reilly 26 years old (roughly) 7 years 7.5M
Derek Stepan 25 years old 6 years 6.5M (Important....only 4 UFA years brings down the overall cost)
David Backes 32 years old 5 years 6M

O'Reilly and Stepan are the closest to Turris, although unlike Stepan Turris will have no more RFA years left. Spells out to me that if he wants market value, Turris would cost 7M. The number of years might be debatable. 6M would be the absolute floor for Turris as a UFA outside of a team friendly deal. Frans Nielsen's cap hit is the only one below 6 and that is because his contract is front loaded due to his age and it being 6 years long.

Turris could ask for 7M and be in the right when looking at comparable contracts. My hope would be that the Senators point at Hoffman making 5.65M and try to pass that off as a ceiling for their 1st liners but if Turris wants to cash in, that might not work.

Turris' extension is one of the most under discussed stories of this off season. He's our top center and we're (supposedly) a budget team. He'll be 29 when his extension kicks in (he's 28 in August, won't kick in for another season) so any extension likely marries the team to Turris long term considering he'll also be able to angle for a NTC.

If there's an out of nowhere trade ala Zibanejad's trade last year, I could see it being the Sens moving Turris because he's asking for more than we can stomach paying. Not that I am hoping for that or anything. Another C would definitely have to come back with Brassard hurt for the start of the season. A typical Sens trade would be something around Kyle Turris for Jeff Carter as Carter makes very little real salary for the rest of his contract.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Kuznetsov just got 8*7.8 thats gonna play a lot into it me thinks.

I think part of that contract might be the KHL factor.

Turris will be a UFA but if he turns down Ottawa's offer, he'll have to wait a year to get his money. Kuznetsov may have had a big offer on the table from the KHL.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
I think part of that contract might be the KHL factor.

Turris will be a UFA but if he turns down Ottawa's offer, he'll have to wait a year to get his money. Kuznetsov may have had a big offer on the table from the KHL.

I don't think the KHL played a factor into this whatsoever. It's not secret that the KHL has hit hard times--the league is contracting by four teams next year. Also, if the USA were to impose new sanctions on Russia like they did after the annexation of Crimea in 2014 and the price of oil were to drop, well, that's pretty much it for the KHL as we know it. It's not out of the realm of possibility given what the Russians did and are going to do during the midterm elections in 2018.

It's not a coincidence that Radulov, Shipychev, and Dadonov have all come back to North America. And guys like Da Costa who have carved out a nice little niche in that league are suddenly desperate to give the NHL another shot. Even Kovalchuk is going to finish out his career in North America which should give you an indication of how much confidence Russian players have in the future of the KHL.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I think on the open market Turris gets 7/49

So hopefully he gives the Sens a discount.

Same with EK who is looking at 8/96... hopefully he gives the Sens a discount too

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
7 years and 42 mil,6 mil average.Him like Stone are 5 to 6 mil players,i suspect the get pretty much the same money :nod:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
^This.

My opinion, if you want $6 mil, you have to at least break 60 points consistently. No once in your career.
I think Turris will break 60 more than once ,but i dont think him or Stone are going over 6 mil per.They are very good ,but they arent elite game breakers

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think Turris will break 60 more than once ,but i dont think him or Stone are going over 6 mil per.They are very good ,but they arent elite game breakers

Agreed. I just don't see them as that kind of game-breaker. If Stone was a better skater, and Turris had an extra 20 pounds of muscle...if only...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If Kyle wants anything over 6m$ per year, you trade him

Actually, even if he is not too greedy, I'd package him to get a good upgrade at the center position

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
If Kyle wants anything over 6m$ per year, you trade him

Actually, even if he is not too greedy, I'd package him to get a good upgrade at the center position
At 6 mil i would keep him gladly,but if we could make a deal to upgrade him iam sure we would be all ears.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I have been on board with trading Turris in a package for an upgrade for some time. I'd rather roll with him as 2C with an elite 1C, but if it takes trading him to get the elite 1C and having Brass at #2, I'm totally down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->