Kyle Turris vs. Travis Zajac

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Two high scoring BCHL products. The forecaster was saying very similar things about Zajac just before the draft as they are now saying about Turris. http://www.forecaster.ca/demos/hockey/extras.cgi?2004NHLDraft-Index
I know Zajac rounded out his game in college, and also grew quite a bit, but I see quite a few similarities between the two. Which do you guys think will be the better NHL player in the long run? What are some of the similarities and differences in their games that you all see? Why does Turris have the potential to go first overall in his draft year, while Zajac was the 20th pick in his? Did Zajac's developement open the door a bit for a higher Turris selection? Where would Zajac go in this draft?

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
For sure Turris will be expected to be the better player being a possible first pick in the draft. However, we also know it doesn't always work that way.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Turris is so much further ahead at 17, it's not even comparable.

Zajac at 17 had 52 points in 59 games in the BCHL, Turris had 121 points in 53 games.

At 16, Zajac was an average player on a Jr. C team and Turris led his team to a Jr. A national championship.

Zajac is a much bigger kid, and he developed a lot between 19 and 21. He also had a much smaller role than Turris had as a 17 year old in the BCHL. While that certainly limited his production, it speaks even more to Turris, who earned such a huge role as a 17 year old.

So yeah, not a fair comparison to make, and Zajac's draft position had no impact on Turris IMO. He is rated as high as he is rated because he's been jaw droppingly amazing for the last two years. He's a top level prospect no matter where he played.

jay-P

Dec 21, 2005
Finland
Turris is so much further ahead at 17, it's not even comparable.

Zajac at 17 had 52 points in 59 games in the BCHL, Turris had 121 points in 53 games.

At 16, Zajac was an average player on a Jr. C team and Turris led his team to a Jr. A national championship.

Zajac is a much bigger kid, and he developed a lot between 19 and 21. He also had a much smaller role than Turris had as a 17 year old in the BCHL. While that certainly limited his production, it speaks even more to Turris, who earned such a huge role as a 17 year old.

So yeah, not a fair comparison to make, and Zajac's draft position had no impact on Turris IMO. He is rated as high as he is rated because he's been jaw droppingly amazing for the last two years. He's a top level prospect no matter where he played.

The title of this thread should be Riley Nash vs. Travis Zajac. That would be much more accurate.

rt

May 13, 2004
Bchl Stats:

Zajac: 118gp 59g 105a 164pts 1.39ppg
Turris: 110gp 102g 91a 193pts 1.75ppg

Using age isn't fair. Zajac was five months older in his draft year than Turris is in his. They both played two seasons in the BCHL. Turris has the better numbers, obviously, but they are comparable.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TSN has Turris at 6'1'' 170lbs as a 17 year old, and Zajac at 6'2'' 205lbs as a 22 year old. It's not unreasonable to think that Turris will be 6'2'' 205lbs in four years.

sam12

May 26, 2007
Was Zajac drafted in his second year of eligibility? If so, he kind of reminds me of a couple guys in the AJHL that got around a point per game this year(Eric Kroshus from Camrose and Adam Henderson from Spruce Grove), and will probably go undrafted( maybe last round or two), but when looking at their development curves, I think they will have big years next year. They also played secondary roles on their teams, like Zajac did when he was 17. They also are similiar in build to Zajac. Turris is definetly much better than Zajac was, his 16 year old year was better than his 17 year old year.

rt

May 13, 2004
Was Zajac drafted in his second year of eligibility? If so, he kind of reminds me of a couple guys in the AJHL that got around a point per game this year(Eric Kroshus from Camrose and Adam Henderson from Spruce Grove), and will probably go undrafted( maybe last round or two), but when looking at their development curves, I think they will have big years next year. They also played secondary roles on their teams, like Zajac did when he was 17. They also are similiar in build to Zajac. Turris is definetly much better than Zajac was, his 16 year old year was better than his 17 year old year.

I'm losing my ****ING mind!!!!!! Is this Bizarro World, or what? What is wrong with you people? I'm actually angry, right now.

Since when does four or five months equal and entire year? When did that happen? I missed it.

I don't know how I could explain any better that age is not a factor, AT ALL in this case. Both players were drafted in the FIRST year of draft eligability. Zajac's being a handful of months older on his draft day, than Turris will be this Friday, means absolutely nothing. They both spent the two years prior to their respective drafts, in the same league, where they played relatively the same number of games, and put up fairly comparable numbers, with the somewhat smaller player puting up somewhat better numbers.

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I'm losing my ****ING mind!!!!!! Is this Bizarro World, or what? What is wrong with you people? I'm actually angry, right now.

Since when does four or five months equal and entire year? When did that happen? I missed it.

I don't know how I could explain any better that age is not a factor, AT ALL in this case. Both players were drafted in the FIRST year of draft eligability. Zajac's being a handful of months older on his draft day, than Turris will be this Friday, means absolutely nothing. They both spent the two years prior to their respective drafts, in the same league, where they played relatively the same number of games, and put up fairly comparable numbers, with the somewhat smaller player puting up somewhat better numbers.

Zajac was drafted in his second year of eligablity..born 5/85 and drafted in '04.

so Turris is going to be about 15 months younger on draft day?

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002

Dude, you have no clue.

Zajac was born in May of 85. He began his first season in the BCHL in September of 2002. He was 17 years and 5 months old.

Turris was born in August of 89. He began his first season in the BCHL in September of 2005. He was 16 years and 1 month old.

willie

Mar 3, 2002
Visit site
, and put up fairly comparable numbers, with the somewhat smaller player puting up somewhat better numbers.

Somewhat better numbers?

121 pts in 53GP versus 52 pts in 59GP at the same age are substantially better numbers.

Where did you get your numbers? Zajac's 17 and 18 year old seasons versus Turris' 16 and 17??

Espo7

Feb 11, 2007
Vancouver, BC
www.geocities.com
For sure anything can happen down the road for Turris. However at the same age, Turris is much farther along offensive, and really his all around game. Turris is a better skater and has better hockey sense.

Anything "can" happen, however Turris should be a better player then Zajac.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Grade A lesson in how to make a fool of yourself.

sam12

May 26, 2007
From my limited viewing of Turris and what I've heard, Turris is good defensively. By that I mean he is tenacious and willingly backchecks and makes smart puck decisions in the d zone. Not a defensive star, but that isnt why people want him. Certainly not a liability on the dside.

Stajan Fan

Jun 20, 2003
Daysland, Alberta
Visit site
How is Turris on the other end, because Zajac is a pretty good defensive player for a rookie and his offense is expected to get better.

Aside from rt's ridiculous comments, which truly shows the intelligence level of himself, Turris is a well above average defenseive player. He does everything well, backchecks hard, ties the man up smartly, he really does it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->