Kyle Turris to the Vancouver Giants?

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
Not to beat a dead horse, but is there any likelyhood of Turris ending up with the Vancouver Giants? I've heard they've made several advances, and he keeps holding strong saying he's going to Wisconsin.
Does anyone know if it's a matter of negotiation (getting the right educational package, etc) with the Giants, or just that he really wants to go NCAA?
I'll give him this: With Vancouver loaded, playing before huge crowds, being his hometown, and hosting the Memorial Cup this year... this kid is damned focused on what he wants to be able to say "no" to them.

On another note, is anyone else a bit surprised he didn't go to the USHL in his draft year? It seems to be a trend for top BCHL players over the past few years.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'm not suprised because Cogliano did the same thing and stuck with the BCHL. I don't think it will hurt a top prospect to stick to their league nor do I think it'll help them to change.

I have no idea what he'll do with Vancouver, but it'd certainly be nice to see him in the NCAA.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
Not to beat a dead horse, but is there any likelyhood of Turris ending up with the Vancouver Giants? I've heard they've made several advances, and he keeps holding strong saying he's going to Wisconsin.
Does anyone know if it's a matter of negotiation (getting the right educational package, etc) with the Giants, or just that he really wants to go NCAA?
I'll give him this: With Vancouver loaded, playing before huge crowds, being his hometown, and hosting the Memorial Cup this year... this kid is damned focused on what he wants to be able to say "no" to them.

I was just trying to find the articles that I had read about him (correct me if I'm wrong), but from what I remember, he is dead-set on going to Wisconsin. I don't think it has anything to do with what the Giants are offering him - he just wants to go to school and keep his educational options, as well as his hockey options open. He does need to bulk up a bit, but he is still growing and whatnot, so maybe college is the appropriate route for him, despite the likelihood of him going top 10 in the draft.

Word is that he has a really good head on his shoulders - down to earth, super nice guy. He refs, does well in school, and does some other community-related stuff as well. Good guy for any team.

EDIT: Jon, Cogliano was in Ontario...I think the OPJHL if that's what its still called. Same idea, but yeah :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I also think that if he goes to Wisconsin that he spends at least 1 season there. The jump from the BCHL to the NHL without any inbetween would be INTENSE to say the least.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I was just trying to find the articles that I had read about him (correct me if I'm wrong), but from what I remember, he is dead-set on going to Wisconsin. I don't think it has anything to do with what the Giants are offering him - he just wants to go to school and keep his educational options, as well as his hockey options open. He does need to bulk up a bit, but he is still growing and whatnot, so maybe college is the appropriate route for him, despite the likelihood of him going top 10 in the draft.

Word is that he has a really good head on his shoulders - down to earth, super nice guy. He refs, does well in school, and does some other community-related stuff as well. Good guy for any team.

EDIT: Jon, Cogliano was in Ontario...I think the OPJHL if that's what its still called. Same idea, but yeah :)

Yeah, a 170 pound 17 year old playing against 20+ year olds in college wont be an issue what so ever.

spamojones

May 17, 2004
Vancouver
I think one of the most interesting things about the whole Giants-Turris thing is that Burnaby outright sucks this year, and yet he's still devoted to that team. I mean they did win the RBC Nat'l Championships last year, and a lot of people have called that his coming out party, but it's good to see a player who sticks with the team despite such a downturn from last season.

Edit: okay so I just re-checked the BCHL standings...I hadn't realized that Burnaby had made such a jump in the past few weeks. It wasn't too long ago they were cellar dwellers

Last edited:

derbyfan

Nov 23, 2002
Visit site
I think one of the most interesting things about the whole Giants-Turris thing is that Burnaby outright sucks this year, and yet he's still devoted to that team. I mean they did win the RBC Nat'l Championships last year, and a lot of people have called that his coming out party, but it's good to see a player who sticks with the team despite such a downturn from last season.

Edit: okay so I just re-checked the BCHL standings...I hadn't realized that Burnaby had made such a jump in the past few weeks. It wasn't too long ago they were cellar dwellers

I find that very interesting as well. Turris made me think of Brock Bradford, who left Coquitlam (before they moved to Burnaby) to play USHL in his final year of junior and his draft year.
Not to say Bradford is even in the same stratosphere as Turris, it just made me wonder if Turris would do the same.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto

As I mentioned earlier the BCHL has redone their playoff format. Every team in the Costal Conference (where Turris plays) makes the playoffs. Burnaby was a very average team last before they turned it on in the last quarter of the season, which is exactly what they're doing this year, so I wouldn't be shocked if with Turris and alot of playoff expierence that the Express make another deep playoff run

GBG BLEED BLUE

Jun 8, 2005
Saskatoon,Sask
www.whlfans.ca
must of been a trade where Saskatoon traded his rights to the Giants

There might have been,or the Blades could have dropped his rights when he choose to go and play NCAA,or choose not to play in the WHL(Which ever it was,that almost means the same thing) I do not know if he will/would ever come and play in the WHL,and loose his NCAA eligibility(other players have done that)

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
I'm pretty confident the Giants selected Turris as a hometown kid. In fact I am positive he was drafted by the Giants the whole way.

It is an error.

AgentNaslund*

they were talking about him on t.v the other day. VAncouver Giants have his rights CHL rights. I hope he choses the best developement leauge in the world. Future NHLer is wasting his time in the NCAA.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
they were talking about him on t.v the other day. VAncouver Giants have his rights CHL rights. I hope he choses the best developement leauge in the world. Future NHLer is wasting his time in the NCAA.

Yeah because we all know playing against some of the best Americans in the 20-24 age group will (jordan) stall your development. What absolute twaddle. And hell I can make a solild case that the WHL isn't even the best CHL league.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown

Yeah, look at all those crappy NCAA players in the league, like Paul Kariya and Dany Heatley Brian Rolston and Chris Drury and Thomas Vanek and Rod Brind'Amour, Rob Blake, Erik Cole, Shawn Horcoff, Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta, Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Zach Parise, Martin St. Louis, etc, etc. College sure stunted them from turning into star players.

Just look at how crappy Kevin Bieksa has been on Vancouver after playing college hockey at Bowling Green. :shakehead

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com

I do believe the CHL is the best development league in the world but I don't think going to the NCAA is a bad choice either. Wisconsin is a great hockey school and he will playing aginst some players that six years older then him. Where to CHL there are only three players that are 20 on each team. But I don't think he wil play in Madison for all four years but maybe just two years.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I do believe the CHL is the best development league in the world but I don't think going to the NCAA is a bad choice either. Wisconsin is a great hockey school and he will playing aginst some players that six years older then him. Where to CHL there are only three players that are 20 on each team. But I don't think he wil play in Madison for all four years but maybe just two years.

It can be argued the other way around. Guys like Toews/Kessel/Turris wont put up god-like numbers in their first couple of NCAA seasons - because as you mentioned, there are grown men playing against them. Tearing up the CHL, which they would inevidably do means more confidence moving forward IMO.

psukan

Nov 2, 2005
Question. Turris has accepted a scholarship to Wisconsin. If he is selected in the top 10 then goes to the NCAA for 2/3 years to develop what is the point? While I am not saying the NCAA is a bad league but wouldn't it make sense to play in the WHL with your hometown team while they are a powerhouse? His development would benefit from it.

If Turris goes to the NCAA for 2/3 years is he able to come back after his career is over to finish school on the same scholarship money? I know the WHL has an educational plan for the players. If he wanted, to he could go to the WHL for a couple years play in a professional-type-environment league then if his NHL career isn't good come back and go to school for something he has some interest in, not just some easy major so his grades don't suffer like many NCAA athletes choose (ie. Business Administration).

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm sure some fans on a message board know what is the best path for Turris to take. Just look at all of those careers ruined because of players playing college hockey...

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Giants selecetd Turris in the 3rd round, 41st overall in the '04 Bantam Draft. Not sure if it was "their" pick or a pick acquired in a trade.

The three players chosen by the Giants before Turris: Ty Sexsmith (Rd. 1; 14th), Mitch Czibere (Rd. 2; 29th), Ryan Molle (Rd. 2; 34th...now in Swift Current). John Blum went inthe 7th round, 134th overall.

AgentNaslund*

Yeah, Kevin Bieksa is a great example - a guy who went the NCAA route and is now a NHL regular....at age 26. Brilliant.

yea good example, Bieksa didnt know he was gonna play in the NHL. Drafted in the 5th round. Yea sure, no one knew he was gonna play in the NHL. we all know Kyle Turris is gonna play in the NHL. preparing for your statement, (But theres a chance Kyle Turris is not gonna play in the NHL bull crap) Kyle Turris is gonna be drafted 5th overall. We all know he does not need school and will play professional hockey.

I'm sure some fans on a message board know what is the best path for Turris to take. Just look at all of those careers ruined because of players playing college hockey...

your like a sensitive little boy. Im somewhat bashed the NCAA and you still wouldnt give up. :biglaugh: Honestly, im just saying he should join the best junior leauge in the world rather then the NCAA.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
yea good example, Bieksa didnt know he was gonna play in the NHL. Drafted in the 5th round. Yea sure, no one knew he was gonna play in the NHL. we all know Kyle Turris is gonna play in the NHL. preparing for your statement, (But theres a chance Kyle Turris is not gonna play in the NHL bull crap) Kyle Turris is gonna be drafted 5th overall. We all know he does not need school and will play professional hockey.

your like a sensitive little boy. Im somewhat bashed the NCAA and you still wouldnt give up. :biglaugh: Honestly, im just saying he should join the best junior leauge in the world rather then the NCAA.

There's nothing wrong with going to the NCAA. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just ignorant.

SPG

Feb 27, 2002
Utica, NY
Visit site
Yeah, Kevin Bieksa is a great example - a guy who went the NCAA route and is now a NHL regular....at age 26. Brilliant.

Yeah, just like those other examples he mentioned: Paul Kariya and Dany Heatley Brian Rolston and Chris Drury and Thomas Vanek and Rod Brind'Amour, Rob Blake, Erik Cole, Shawn Horcoff, Mike Cammalleri, Brian Gionta, Brian Rafalski, John Madden, Zach Parise, Martin St. Louis

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad