Kyle Turris-Is he Crazy?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I think that's pretty self-explanatory. When you play half as many games and spend fewer days on the road, there are simply more hours available for the gym.

Is it a tangible difference though?? Honestly though will it make the slightest difference for Turris?

Plus whos to say that he is one of these kids that just cant gain weight. That is common, guys work out in the gym for the entire summer and gain 2-3 lbs. Its a lot to do with genes.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I would say that 40 fewer games and subsequently a heck of a lot less travel time does indeed make a tangible difference in the number of hours a guy can spend working out, yes.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I would say that 40 fewer games and subsequently a heck of a lot less travel time does indeed make a tangible difference in the number of hours a guy can spend working out, yes.

You can still bulk up though...there comes a point where too much time in the gym doesnt make a difference.

Plus being a full time college student will take a few hours out of his gym time dont you think?? Or do you just ignore that?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
As a studious college student involved in numerous activities but who still finds a few hours every week to work out, I'm sure a star hockey player at a big time hockey school would have plenty of time at the gym.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
As a studious college student involved in numerous activities but who still finds a few hours every week to work out, I'm sure a star hockey player at a big time hockey school would have plenty of time at the gym.

It is still a variable that must be considered.

Im not saying the CHL route is any better at allowing a player to bulk up but i feel (my opinion Matt :D ) the differences are negligible and likely played very little in Turris' decision to go to Wisconsin.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
I was on scholarship for football in college, I was required by 2pm to be in the gym for 2 hours, then 1 hour and 45 minutes for practice during the season, off season was no practice but I still was required to go to the gym. School work was done after dinner with study hall. NCAA has rules about total time per week allowed to do team activities but a player can do his own thing, the way they get around that is that the trainers are on duty and the players have a personalized workout.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I was on scholarship for football in college, I was required by 2pm to be in the gym for 2 hours, then 1 hour and 45 minutes for practice during the season, off season was no practice but I still was required to go to the gym. School work was done after dinner with study hall. NCAA has rules about total time per week allowed to do team activities but a player can do his own thing, the way they get around that is that the trainers are on duty and the players have a personalized workout.

And CHL teams have fulltime strength and conditioning coaches. Both routes allow you extensive time in top end gym's and to top end trainers.

Im not really knocking the kids decision, I just dont agree with the people saying him going NCAA will be better for his physical size in the long run.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
You can still bulk up though...there comes a point where too much time in the gym doesnt make a difference.

Plus being a full time college student will take a few hours out of his gym time dont you think?? Or do you just ignore that?

A lot of CHL players are still in high school or take courses at local colleges, etc.

Of course you can still bulk up while playing in the CHL. However, as I've said, it is much easier to do when you play half as many games. There is more time available to you and, frankly, your body is able to recover more quickly due to the fewer games/travel/wear and tear on your body. I don't think you're going to find many people that are going to argue that playing more games, spending more time on the road and having less recovery time are more condusive to strength building.

The reality of the matter is Kyle Turris and those who advise him believe that going to Wisconsin gives him more time to develop (all parts of his game) than playing in the CHL. That's really all that matters.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
A lot of CHL players are still in high school or take courses at local colleges, etc.

Of course you can still bulk up while playing in the CHL. However, as I've said, it is much easier to do when you play half as many games. There is more time available to you and, frankly, your body is able to recover more quickly due to the fewer games/travel/wear and tear on your body. I don't think you're going to find many people that are going to argue that playing more games, spending more time on the road and having less recovery time are more condusive to strength building.

The reality of the matter is Kyle Turris and those who advise him believe that going to Wisconsin gives him more time to develop (all parts of his game) than playing in the CHL. That's really all that matters.

Kyle did just go through a bit of a growth spurt..he was 5'06 2 years ago.

His dad is 6'03 210...so maybe it is just genes with him and he will eventually fill out naturally.

I am not doubting the kids choice...it is his choice. Im just replying back to the people in here who think the NCAA is a million times better because the players are in the gym more often and practise more often.

At the end of the day Turris will be a good player because he IS a good player. Doesnt matter where he goes.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Marshall also said two or three years before hand. So let's pose the question to him, does he think Turris will stay the full four and does he care.

Youre the one getting all bent out of shape over this not me.

You replied to me replying to someone else to act all sarcastic...

You say one semi negative thing about the NCAA (Hell I didnt even say anything negative about the NCAA...) and people come at you like a pack of wolves.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I definitely don't think it's a million times better.

But I do think it was the right choice for this player.

radir

Jul 31, 2005

Someone who is working out seriously know that one of the biggest factor in the effectiveness of his training is recovery. (It isn't the only factor obviously, but it is, nonetheless, one of the most important one).

And why do you think NHL players dont bulk up during the season ? 'Cause they can't, they're already putting their body through too much high intensity efforts.

Jakethesnake

May 27, 2003
Sydney
Visit site

But if he leaves after 2 years, like he will if he went to the WHL, then he wont have more time to develop his game.

Wisconsin may develop particular parts of his game better then the WHL, but not necessarily give him more time

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
But if he leaves after 2 years, like he will if he went to the WHL, then he wont have more time to develop his game.

Wisconsin may develop particular parts of his game better then the WHL, but not necessarily give him more time

It gives him the choice to determine when he becomes a pro hockey player. So if he needs more time, he takes it. Plus, as discussed, going the collegiate route increases his chances of being able to physically bulk up.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If you think a university like Guelph (or any other average Canadian school) is even close to the University of Wisconsin at Madison, you are in need of some serious help. It's one of the top schools in North America. For reference, I got into every grad school I applied to in Canada, and would have been accepted into all the others if I'd wanted to apply to them. I didn't even bother applying to Wisconsin because I knew I didn't stand a chance of getting in.
One of the joys of college hockey is that degree mills are the exception not the rule.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Cripes.. now the argument has sunken into a "our university is better than your university" argument.

A mod needs to do a mercy killing and end this thread methinks.

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
Cripes.. now the argument has sunken into a "our university is better than your university" argument.

A mod needs to do a mercy killing and end this thread methinks.

I went to the University of Pennsylvania for two years. So Guelph and Wisconsin and Oxford can all kiss my ass. . .

Seriously, though, can we get back to Kyle Turris? As a Flyers fan, I'd like to know more about him.

Transported Upstater

Temoprarily closing this thread for cleanup and performing a few thread bannings...

EDIT: Done. The next time this degenerates into a childish, nationalistic pile of ****, the thread will be deleted and more posters will be warned.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad