Kyle Turris-Is he Crazy?

itshomerdoh

Jul 26, 2005
he's crazy.

Yeah exactly. How dare this guy make a decision that is best for him, which doesn't appease WHL fan boys. I know I'd like to see him play on the Giants (and I could in person tonight in Chilliwack), especially in the Memorial Cup this year, but he has to make the best decision for him. I wish people would get over this CHL vs NCAA thing, I thought the issue was played out at least 10 years ago.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
He has like 63 goals in 51 games which is almost unheard of in any league these days but he continue's to play in the BCHL. He is almost guaranteed a Top 10 draft pick this year and will likely earn huge money in the NHL as well. However, why is he not going to Vancouver Giants to play in the MEM CUP and gain even more exposure? Makes no sence to me when everyone including himself knows that he won't stay in the NCAA for the full 4 yrs.

Yeah that's crazy. The guy should be thinking of what he can do to maximize his exposure right now and get signed to a pro contract as soon as possible.

Because when you're in this kind of situation, you can't have a better role model than Maurice Clarett.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005
Originally Posted by Avalanche
"According to the Powell River Kings' broadcast, Kyle Turris turned down a $500,000 offer from the Vancouver Giants for this season."

I heard Ed Belfour offered Turris a billion dollars to play for Florida this year.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
I know if you tear your ACL in Major Junior you have a lot to fall back on. Quick story, i was on montreal a few years back, and I was looking at skates. The guy who helped me played in the Q until he tore his ACL. He thought he was going to the NHL, and now he says look at him he works in a sporting goods store....Ill fall back on my college education.

Thats his fault for not using the college money available to him. If hes not going to use it because he thought he was going pro thats his fault not the junior leagues fault.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
True...i still dont think he finishes school.

I dont have a problem with kids going the school route. But a lot of them leave after 2 years because an NHL team hands them a bag of money.

So really the whole argument about "more time to develop" gets thrown out the window for me. (when dealing with high end guys) Turris will likely be in the AHL by 20 anyway...how is that any different than if he went WHL?

Correct me if I am wrong, don't college teams practice more and play less than Junior teams? If that is true, maybe he'll develop his skills and fundamentals better in two, three or four years in College. Also, I'd be willing to bet that colleges have better weight rooms than Junior teams. Last, what about the ages of the competition? I'd bet college players are older, more physically mature than Junior players. Maybe college is a better choice than Juniors?........... but maybe not? It is an interseting thing to contemplate.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Wisconsin has an excellent weight and conditioning program, on par with most professional programs, for all their sports, he will in no doubt within 2 years be in the 190-200lb range.

Nothing will fatten a kid up like a midwestern diet of sausage and cheese!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Correct me if I am wrong, don't college teams practice more and play less than Junior teams? If that is true, maybe he'll develop his skills and fundamentals better in two, three or four years in College. Also, I'd be willing to bet that colleges have better weight rooms than Junior teams. Last, what about the ages of the competition? I'd bet college players are older, more physically mature than Junior players. Maybe college is a better choice than Juniors?........... but maybe not? It is an interseting thing to contemplate.

Youre wrong...this was hashed out in another thread.

CHL teams are on the ice from August until April (some into May). NCAA teams practise more throughout their season but their season is way shorter.

Bottomline is though...if youre good youll make it regardless of which path you take.

And ill stand by my prediction of Turris turning pro at age 20...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
If this is the type of education found in Canada, I am damn well thankful for not ever thinking about going to school there.

Wow.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Like a Canadian version of Joe Garrelli

"Experts say a year in New York's state schools is equivalent to five years at the Sorbonne...easy, because they are dumb and I am smart!"

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
...and we'll all stand by our belief that that should have no merit what the guy does for his pre-NHL career.

I didnt say it did...but i was responded to the person who said "Turris going NCAA will give him more development time until he turns pro"

I think if he goes WHL he is in the AHL at 20...and if he goes NCAA he is in the AHL at 20...so really theres no difference which path he takes.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I didnt say it did...but i was responded to the person who said "Turris going NCAA will give him more development time until he turns pro"

I think if he goes WHL he is in the AHL at 20...and if he goes NCAA he is in the AHL at 20...so really theres no difference which path he takes.

For one, you're asserting your unsubstantiated opinion as a fact.

Second, going NCAA makes a big difference in his development. It is significantly easier to spend more time in the gym and bulk up a bit (which is the #1 thing Kyle needs to develop) on a 40 game schedule than it is on a 70-80 game schedule.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Second, going NCAA makes a big difference in his development. It is significantly easier to spend more time in the gym and bulk up a bit (which is the #1 thing Kyle needs to develop) on a 40 game schedule than it is on a 70-80 game schedule.

How dare you bring common sense into this argument, damnit.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Im giving my opinion, sorry if it sounded like I was stating a fact, it was just the wording.

Id like to see you prove your OPINION of players going NCAA being able to bulk up more than CHL players...also you stated that as Fact....:)

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Id like to see you prove your OPINION of players going NCAA being able to bulk up more than CHL players...also you stated that as Fact....:)

Matt MacInnis said:

I think that's pretty self-explanatory. When you play half as many games and spend fewer days on the road, there are simply more hours available for the gym.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Use your head. You'll be able to figure it out if you try hard enough.

Nope...since you say it like its fact i want evidence. :)

Honestly though...with all the school these NCAA guys have to attend where do they find the time?? Meanwhile CHL Players are future dead beats who dont go to school...they can spend their entire week in the gym.

:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad