Kyle Turris-Is he Crazy?

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Exactly why. They're older, more physical, and play a more pro-styled game, IMO, compared to CHL teams.

And all of those reasons are why the league can be incredible for the development of a smaller guy who could go to the CHL and straight up DOMINATE.

I think most players go the CHL route for exposure, and to play a more offensive oriented game. Also some kids dont care about education; for example Angelo Esposito is in the Q cause' Pat Roy convinced him it would suite his game better. However Espo is one WEAK player who will need to bulk up if he wants to get remotely close to the NHL.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think most players go the CHL route for exposure, and to play a more offensive oriented game. Also some kids dont care about education; for example Angelo Esposito is in the Q cause' Pat Roy convinced him it would suite his game better. However Espo is one WEAK player who will need to bulk up if he wants to get remotely close to the NHL.

Funny thing is I think that the NCAA could've greatly benefited Espo this year.

jaydub*

Playing college hockey is just a much better time than playing junior hockey. A lot more fun, and develops talent probably just as well. Why would he want to play junior hockey? Oh yah, "yankee" universities provide a much superior education.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
This guy is amazing. The 'yotes are very high on him. Gretz already went to see him last night, is going out for dinner with him tonight and going to see him play again this weekend.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I don't know how the clearinghouse works for hockey, but wouldn't being taken out to dinner by an NHL coach be risky for his eligilibity?

Mar 31, 2005
East Coast
If he's drafted by the NHL in June, they've been told, he'll likely be on campus for no more than a year or so, but then they chose the University of Wisconsin because it offered an open-ended scholarship that will allow Kyle to complete his education regardless.
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/...b37ea-b9fa-475d-afb6-b0f970dd9c3c&k=28166&p=3

I guess leaving school early won't be an issue. Sounds like he is capable of making non-crazy decisions that just might have a positive impact on his life.... incredible concept.

AgentNaslund*

Exactly why. They're older, more physical, and play a more pro-styled game, IMO, compared to CHL teams.

And all of those reasons are why the league can be incredible for the development of a smaller guy who could go to the CHL and straight up DOMINATE.

thats totally insane. There is so much hitting in the WHL, there is also so much more fighting. We CHL is using WHL rules and NHL rink sizes, NCAA is using bigger ice surface.

getting big is not an issue. Infact, its probably the least of the worries. If your not good enough to play in the NHL whats the point of bulking up? YOur not gonna make the NHL because your built like the hulk, you make the NHL becuase your good. Then eventually the players will find personal trainers to aid them. Im sure there are huge advantage of playing in the NCAA. yea you get Lawyers degree. CHL focuses on developing players to play pro hockey. NOt to become a Laywer or a doctor or a businessman. Im pretty sure thats the reason why, alot of American players are chosing the CHL route.

veronesepk

Feb 11, 2005

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
Your mom goes to college

Nice. Awesome movie.

About Turris, he seems very motivated and I would like to see him go first overall. Or drop to around 10-15 (which will never ever ever happen). ;) Has any player been drafted 1st overall when not playing in Europe/NCAA/CHL before?

Last edited:

Figgles*

If the Flyers have the first overall pick I guarantee Turris will be their pick.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/...b37ea-b9fa-475d-afb6-b0f970dd9c3c&k=28166&p=3

I guess leaving school early won't be an issue. Sounds like he is capable of making non-crazy decisions that just might have a positive impact on his life.... incredible concept.

I liked the part about him following a diet. Shows real committment. Also, this quote from his mom...

"We taught him that even though you have that gift, you have to work a little harder than the next guy."

:handclap:

If you draft on character, this guy has to be near the top of your list.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Don't know how you can say that it's the best league. It's good for some people, better for others. The same can be said for the NCAA.

I've said for years now that I'd stake my reputation on this board in the fact that I think a NCAA team would steamroll a CHL team if put in a head to head game.

And that would be because the players are older, and not necessarily better.

JP, I won't argue that an NCAA team could steamroll an CHL team in a head-to-head game. Some junior teams that I've seen would have soundly beaten a good U.S. college team. It would depend on the teams you picked, but an NCAA team is older than a CHL team. In this age bracket -- 16-22 -- a couple of years of physical maturity makes a big difference. That's why the IIHF has separate age categories for under-20, under-18 and under-17. Once you hit 20, it starts to even out.

A U.S. college team has players aged 18-22 (with the odd 17-year-old). A CHL team has players aged 16-20, with a limit (three) on the number of 20-year-olds.

So, to be fair matchup, a college team would have to have no seniors and only three juniors and the CHL team would have no 16-year-olds or 17-year-olds.

Lest anybody misunderstand what I'm saying here, I am not dismissing U.S. college hockey or being a champion of the CHL. Both are excellent brands of hockey and are good for developing players. And it's not a U.S.-Canada issue, either. Many Canadian kids choose U.S. college and more and more American kids are picking the CHL.

As for Turris, he could play for Vancouver and he'd do well. But would it really help his draft stock? I don't think so. He's already highly rated. It's his life, if he wants to go to Wisconsin, that's fine with me. He's a pretty skinny kid and needs to bulk up. One thing you've got to remember though. He's put off playing major junior for two years (16 and 17 year old seasons), but when he gets to Wisconsin next season, he'll be playing against some guys that are bigger and stronger than anybody he would have faced in major junior because there are lots more 20 to 22-year-old players.

He's a talented kid and he'll probably do better by practising and training more to bulk up than he will playing 20 extra games and taking a lot of long bus rides.

What I hope I don't hear, though, is people bashing him if he leaves college early or if he changes his mind and decides to play major junior after all, say as a 20-year-old.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Nice. Awesome movie.

About Turris, he seems very motivated and I would like to see him go first overall. Or drop to around 10-15 (which will never ever ever happen). ;) Has any player been drafted 1st overall when not playing in Europe/NCAA/CHL before?

Yep. Brian Lawton was drafted No. 1 out of U.S. high school in 1983.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Don't know how you can say that it's the best league. It's good for some people, better for others. The same can be said for the NCAA.

I've said for years now that I'd stake my reputation on this board in the fact that I think a NCAA team would steamroll a CHL team if put in a head to head game.

Did he say junior league? do you know what a junior league is? NCAA isn´t a junior league, it´s a collegiate league. You can play if you´re in college.

Also, if you think the NCAA is a better development league, you´re wrong. The numbers prove it.

Yes, NCAA teams would beat CHL teams. CIS teams would beat CHL teams too. That´s because men play in the NCAA and CIS, kids play CHL -- again it´s a junior league.

And you´re going to stake your reputation? lol

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Did he say junior league? do you know what a junior league is? NCAA isn´t a junior league, it´s a collegiate league. You can play if you´re in college.

Also, if you think the NCAA is a better development league, you´re wrong. The numbers prove it.

Yes, NCAA teams would beat CHL teams. CIS teams would beat CHL teams too. That´s because men play in the NCAA and CIS, kids play CHL -- again it´s a junior league.

And you´re going to stake your reputation? lol

The "numbers" prove that an incredible player can come out of either league. Both leagues have had bonafide stars come out of them.

It's stupid, though, that this thread derailed into a bunch of people bashing the NCAA yet again.

That's all that ever happens on this board.

Kvashinator12

Feb 27, 2002
United States
Visit site
I know if you tear your ACL in Major Junior you have a lot to fall back on. Quick story, i was on montreal a few years back, and I was looking at skates. The guy who helped me played in the Q until he tore his ACL. He thought he was going to the NHL, and now he says look at him he works in a sporting goods store....Ill fall back on my college education.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
A U.S. college team has players aged 18-22 (with the odd 17-year-old). A CHL team has players aged 16-20, with a limit (three) on the number of 20-year-olds.

That's a large part of why the NCAA makes a lot of sense for Turris. As an 18 yo, he can in and play against some very experienced competition.

If your a 16 yo Tavaras or even Gagner, the CHL is a great choice. It allows you to play against older teens. Eligibilty aside, the NCAA might have been a very good choice for Pat Kane. As the top scorer as a freshman, he certainly could have benefited coming into a more challenging top NCAA league.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The "numbers" prove that an incredible player can come out of either league. Both leagues have had bonafide stars come out of them.

It's stupid, though, that this thread derailed into a bunch of people bashing the NCAA yet again.

That's all that ever happens on this board.
I know.

:cry:"Wah! the Giants don't get a ringer for their memorial cup run! Wah! Turris is doing what he thinks is right for him! Wah! He's doing exactly what so many other BCHL kids have done!":cry:

Oilerfan120582

Jul 9, 2005
Maybe it isn't strictly a hockey decision, perhaps he would just rather go to college than play major junior hockey? Going to college can be a valuable experience even if it is only for one or two years. I'd do the same thing.

Not that major junior guys can't get an education. They just have to wait longer. The CHL offers scholarships to players once they are finished their junior career. Of course, for players who go on to play pro hockey they will never take advantage of this available money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->