Kyle Okposo

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
Okposo has been playing center, with Ryan Stoa and Tyler Hirsch on the wings...he has played very well at the position- the kid is a bull out there.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
wow as a gopher fan....and observer

I'm way more impressed by Okposo then Phil Kessel, and it's not even close, Okposo has the makings of the best thing since Vanek here.

Okposo was AMAZING tonight, and not just scoring goals wise, his passes are sick.

Islanders got a FREAKING steal here, STEAL. Holy cow is he good!

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Some credit should go to Tyler Hirsch, Okposo's winger. Tyler took the year off last year...but was the Gopher's top scorer two years ago...playing with Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen. Tyler Hirsch is one of the best pure set-up men I've seen in the college ranks...simply amazing. That certainly helps big O.

Even so, Okposo is on fire and has adapted to the NCAA game for quicker than most other freshmen. He just does whatever he needs to to score and is doing so at a clip rarely seen. He's scoring at a rate better than Toews last year and on par with TJ Oshie. Even so, Okposo will pass Oshie's performance last year as Oshie didn't score in the next 3 games last year. The line of Okposo-Hirsch-Stoa is the top PP line...and is quickly becoming one of the best lines in college hockey.

PlayoffBeard

Sep 14, 2005
Since everyone says how much of a bull he is, I was kind of suprised to see that he has not hit that much. Anyone else notice that he doesnt hit much or is it just me?

nags

Sep 27, 2006
Some credit should go to Tyler Hirsch, Okposo's winger. Tyler took the year off last year...but was the Gopher's top scorer two years ago...playing with Ryan Potulny and Danny Irmen. Tyler Hirsch is one of the best pure set-up men I've seen in the college ranks...simply amazing. That certainly helps big O.

Even so, Okposo is on fire and has adapted to the NCAA game for quicker than most other freshmen. He just does whatever he needs to to score and is doing so at a clip rarely seen. He's scoring at a rate better than Toews last year and on par with TJ Oshie. Even so, Okposo will pass Oshie's performance last year as Oshie didn't score in the next 3 games last year. The line of Okposo-Hirsch-Stoa is the top PP line...and is quickly becoming one of the best lines in college hockey.

He's also the same age as Toews which makes Toews' rookie season all the more incredible. Playing D1 hockey at 17.

Okposo is good but he isn't at Toew's level. Toews proved that when they both played at Shattuck.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Fellow Minnesota freshman and Sharks draft pick Jay Barriball is outscoring Okposo so far 11 to 9 thus far. Another late round find by Tim Burke and the Sharks.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
i see okposo translating to the NHL game much easier then barribal....that said Jay will be in minniesota 3-4 years ...might only get kyle for a year.

chaachie12

Mar 13, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
Visit site
i see okposo translating to the NHL game much easier then barribal....that said Jay will be in minniesota 3-4 years ...might only get kyle for a year.
yeah, there is about a 40 pound and 6 inch difference between the two. Barribal is so small that he will have trouble ever making a significant impact in the NHL. Not saying he wont but his path is much bumpier than Okposo.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
i watched a few UofM games on Fox Sports North, anybody who follows them know why they have him playing center? He was a winger in the USHL and plays the perfect powerwinger type game.

As an Islanders fan though i must say it's great seeing him get in all key situations(PP, PK, last minute, etc.)

white_tiger

Sep 10, 2006
Phoenix
i watched a few UofM games on Fox Sports North, anybody who follows them know why they have him playing center? He was a winger in the USHL and plays the perfect powerwinger type game.

As an Islanders fan though i must say it's great seeing him get in all key situations(PP, PK, last minute, etc.)

Because teh Gophers didn;t want to be accused of running up the score by putting Him on a line as a Winger with Barribal on the other wing and Wheeler a sthe Center... That would be just plain EVIL

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
The only thing I disagree with others on is that Okposo has been "physical". While he isn't shy of contact, he's hardly been as physical as he was in the USHL.

But I think a lot of that comes from the fact that he was so much physically stronger and ahead of the guys in the USHL that he was able to push them around more.

I think it will come with time, but in the games I've seen of his this year he hasn't been overly physical at all. Nothing noticeable.

Danny30

Jun 6, 2006
The only thing I disagree with others on is that Okposo has been "physical". While he isn't shy of contact, he's hardly been as physical as he was in the USHL.

But I think a lot of that comes from the fact that he was so much physically stronger and ahead of the guys in the USHL that he was able to push them around more.

I think it will come with time, but in the games I've seen of his this year he hasn't been overly physical at all. Nothing noticeable.

I agree. I think that playing on a big rink has something to do with that as well.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown

True, I havent seen him just blasting guys with checks, but guys just bounce off of him when they try and hit him.

He is a stud- I have been majorly impressed with his play this year.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
barriball is a complete waterbug great in college....we shall see in the NHL.

As a gopher fan its nice to know we'll probably have him around all 4 years.

He's a slick little player, but he's got a long road ahead of him to the NHL.

WesternCollegeHockey

Jul 13, 2006

The Gophers are deep at wing, and thin at center. Minnesota tried Ryan Stoa in that spot for a while, but I guess they liked Okposo better in that spot.

5mn Major

Jan 14, 2006
Because teh Gophers didn;t want to be accused of running up the score by putting Him on a line as a Winger with Barribal on the other wing and Wheeler a sthe Center... That would be just plain EVIL

Although a case could be made for replacing Stoa with either Wheeler or Barriball...Hirsch is the best linemate Okposo could have. Tyler Hirsch compliments Okposo's game and should be a Hobey finalist due to those skillsets.

Witter

Jan 11, 2006
Long isle
Anyone wanna take a guess on when he'll come to the NHL? Also what player will he be most like if anyone knows? I know we've prob all heard the Iginla but does his play reflect Iginlas?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad