Kyle Chipchura

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Kyle Chipchura (Infos and Links)

What do you think Chipchura's offense could be in the NHL?
He doesnt seem at least looking at the stats like a dominant player could he become better offensively??? does anyone have a detailed opinion about him? what are is strenghts other than is physical and defensive play?

Last edited:

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
He's a good playmaker, smart and a leader. Those would be his three other qualities.

The one thing not to like is that this continues a tradition in Montreal to go with centers who are almost exclusively playmakers. Then again, they didn't draft him to get a Koivu or Ribeiro. He's a different animal.

Now that Gainey is firmly installed, you can see this has more his stamp than last year. This is a draft much more in tune with what Bob Gainey did in Dallas. Predominantly going for solid, non-nonsense unspectacular players.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Vlad The Impaler said:
He's a good playmaker, smart and a leader. Those would be his three other qualities.

The one thing not to like is that this continues a tradition in Montreal to go with centers who are almost exclusively playmakers. Then again, they didn't draft him to get a Koivu or Ribeiro. He's a different animal.

Now that Gainey is firmly installed, you can see this has more his stamp than last year. This is a draft much more in tune with what Bob Gainey did in Dallas. Predominantly going for solid, non-nonsense unspectacular players.

Thanks for the infos

I guess he got a great caracter to be ranked so high because for a 2nd year junior he didnt put the kinds of numbers a 1st round player would (he was 1st north american at midseason ranking) anyway, i was just hoping he is the kind of player who will understand the game more than.. just have great skills. In Habs scouting i trust anyway i just cant wait to see him in action i hope i will find something in his game that would make me believe he will become a better offensive player with time.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Some people are saying he was bothered by an injury and that this may have hampered him this year, which could explain *in part* why he did not score more. Happy to have helped you but I am sure a lot of people will be able to tell you much more about him.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
His offensive is very underrated. He was one of the good players during the last WJC. Good enough to play as the PP QB on that team. According to Timmins, he was the leader and best player of the team.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
he was also behind colliton in the 2nd line spot, and saw 2nd line pp duty (atleast when i saw prince albert) he was the best player on the ice though for the raiders, every shift, he can really be nasty along the boards

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Watch him nearly double his stats next year. He has good offensive skill, it just wasn't put to use on a pretty good team. Injuries held him back a bit too. I think he was a steal considering a similar player in Olesz went 11 picks ahead of him.

Good one Bob :handclap:

Pandastyle

I was at the draft, and on day 2, a Phoenix scout was in the stands talking to some agents (I'm assuming), and overheard him say that he was surprised to see Chipchura go at 18 and was expecting him to go around 30. I'm assuming this opinion is due to his numbers.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
mazmin said:
Watch him nearly double his stats next year. He has good offensive skill, it just wasn't put to use on a pretty good team. Injuries held him back a bit too. I think he was a steal considering a similar player in Olesz went 11 picks ahead of him.

Good one Bob :handclap:

I agree, Mazmin. I saw Chipchura play a couple times and I thought his offensive is drastically underrated. Yes he tailed off, he wasn't the same player in the second half, but if you saw him in the first half, he was really dynamite. In the U-18, he ran the power play and if not for his heroics, Canada would have been done like dinner much earlier.

I see Chipchura becoming a 70-point man, a top end 2nd line player, similar to a Rod Brind'amour.

Habs4ever

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal, (Quebec)
Visit site
not really!!

Pandastyle said:
I was at the draft, and on day 2, a Phoenix scout was in the stands talking to some agents (I'm assuming), and overheard him say that he was surprised to see Chipchura go at 18 and was expecting him to go around 30. I'm assuming this opinion is due to his numbers.

Every teams have prospects rated differently taking into considerination many different factors, so though that scout might have expected him to fall it was consences from scouting community that he goes 15th over all.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
thanks guys!

I would have like to know more about his stickhandling abilities and vision but i guess people didnt watch him enough.. how was is performance in the wjc other than stats.. i mean i didnt even watch it this year.. damn work. hehe

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Crusher20 said:
thanks guys!

I would have like to know more about his stickhandling abilities and vision but i guess people didnt watch him enough.. how was is performance in the wjc other than stats.. i mean i didnt even watch it this year.. damn work. hehe

He wasn't on the wjc team, he was on the U-18 team. He has been invited to the selection camp this summer though, although getting a spot will be tough with so many returnees.

RE-HABS

Feb 27, 2002
CANADA
Pandastyle said:
Considering the source a Phoenix scout I wouldn't take anything into his thought process, after all they drafted a kid who was ranked 17 overall in North America in Wheeler. He could be a steal if everything falls into place and he develops in the NCAA, but playing with better and bigger players than High Schoolers will be a bigger and harder feat, Chipchura was a solid and safe pick who looks to make it and has been playing against better and more skilled competition than a High Schooler. If not for his injury he would have probably been Top 5 - 10, considering at Xmas he was the #1 Ranked North American Prospect...why that scout would be surprised really surprises me.

Reactions: rt

Munchausen

Jay Thompson said:
I see Chipchura becoming a 70-point man, a top end 2nd line player, similar to a Rod Brind'amour.

Glad to see I'm not the only one seeing underrated offensive skills in him, though I would not expect those numbers. Very good hands and great vision on the ice makes me think of an offensive upside as a 50-60 point 2-way 2nd line center and his downside as 25-30 point solid 3rd line checker.

Either way, I'd be shocked if he never made it to the bigs and no matter if he can develop his offensive game or not, he'll probably be a very valuable NHLer for his defensive awareness, his size and strength, faceoff abilities, physical play and leadership qualities.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
chipchura i can't see ever becoming a consistent 50+ point threat.. maybe a good year here and there.. but not consistently

imo

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
andora said:
chipchura i can't see ever becoming a consistent 50+ point threat.. maybe a good year here and there.. but not consistently

imo

if he can play with fire and he can hit and be a great defensive player 40pts per year would be great in a 3th line. but I have a feeling he can be better than this, Habs scouts believe he got offensive potential so I will trust them.

BTW because he is so complete.. do you think he could have a chance to make the club this year??? It all depends on how complete he is.. but who knows.. I mean Bergeron wasnt consider a top notch prospect or a offensive dynamo but he produced pretty well as an 18 years old..

look at the stats of Bergeron in the Q!!! wich is know for his high scoring.

Patrice Bergeron

2002-03 Bathurst Titan QMJHL 70-23-50-73 62pim
2003-04 Boston Bruins NHL 71-16-23-39 22pim

Kyle Chipchura
2002-03 Prince Albert Raiders WHL 63-9-21-30 89pim
2003-04 Prince Albert Raiders WHL 64-15-33-48 118pim

Last edited:

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
I don't think he has 1st line potential but like people have been saying his offencive abilities are underrated. He was ranked number 1 NA skater at mid-term rankings because of his all-round game and he was off to a good start offencivly on top of that, he then got the groin injury, it affected his skating and play and his numbers dropped, he missed the top prospects game and he slipped to #4 in NA skaters by the final rankings. By the end of the season the injury healed up, not totally but apparently it wasn't bothering him as much and he started to put up good offencive numbers again near the end of the season and playoffs, also heard he had a 5 point game in the playoffs. So if healthy and not bothered by any injury which he shouldn't be I think he could really surprise alot of people next year with his offencive game.

Last edited:

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I wouldnt want him to make the club anyway. He needs more seasoning and that's at least one year in the minors. I think he'll be ready by 2008-2009 maybe a year earlier.

Munchausen

Hydroponic Harold said:
It seems to me that Montreal fans hate any draft pick whos name doesnt in EAU ,Ov or SKI.

I'm a Habs fan and like many, couldn't care less about where a player is from. Keep your dumb overgeneralizing remarks to yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->