Kyle Chipchura

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
What do most of you guys predict he's going to end up in this upcoming draft?And what player would you compare him to in playing style's? I'm sure this question has already been asked but i did not see any.

Hitman*

TheBrew said:
What do most of you guys predict he's going to end up in this upcoming draft?And what player would you compare him to in playing style's? I'm sure this question has already been asked but i did not see any.

I'd say the 8-12 range. He's a solid 2-way centre. Won't put up many points, but will produce while being very sound in his own zone. I've heard Holik's name about him a couple times.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Hitman said:
I'd say the 8-12 range. He's a solid 2-way centre. Won't put up many points, but will produce while being very sound in his own zone. I've heard Holik's name about him a couple times.
I think he'll end up around 15 personally, great player though, reminds me of Jarret Stoll.

Heater15

Jun 22, 2003
Saskatchewan
Visit site
This is just a question, Im not slamming anybody... if he was ranked No.1 by C.S.B. why would he drop that low (15-18) I know there's guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, Schremp, etc...but he was ranked 1st by C.S.B.

Munchausen

Chipchura is a player I like alot. Seems to play with an edge. Works very hard. He just seems to have the mental constitution to go very far and become a vital part of any team, even if not necessarily from scoring every game (although from reading the various opinions on him, I'm starting to beleive his offensive upside is underrated a tad). He understands the game well. I'd say he'll become a very good 2nd line center or an elite 3rd liner. His stock may fall from the lack of production this year.

As a fan, I hope Montreal will be lucky enough to see him fall between the 15th and 20th spot because over the past, Montreal have drafted highly skilled small finesse players with loads of offensive upside, but failed to draft quality character guys (aside from Higgins) like Chipchura (I was hoping for Getzlaf last year). The fact they will pick lower this year might mean they will be tempted to go that route. Plus a good 2-way center with strenght and size is as badly needed in Montreal as they get, and with Gainey running the team, this might become the #1 priority.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Heater15 said:
This is just a question, Im not slamming anybody... if he was ranked No.1 by C.S.B. why would he drop that low (15-18) I know there's guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, Schremp, etc...but he was ranked 1st by C.S.B.
I think his number 1 ranking is for N.A. prospects. I think central scouting would
rank the top 3 Europeans ahead of the N.A. prospects. However that still leaves
a large gap between how he's rated by central scouting and by people on this
board.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm betting that he falls from the 1 ranking and ends up about the 3-4 in N.A. and 6-10 overall. I see Ladd and Thelen passing him in the N.A. listing and maybe one other guy will slip past him. Ovechkin and Malkin are good bets to be taken before him in the draft. Also there will possibly be 3-4 players that could be selected before him but I'd say that's it.

He'll probably not be picked over this year because so many teams realized they made a mistake passing on Fehr (both player have are developing along similar lines althouh I'd say Fehr is more a shooter and Chipchura is more a playmaker) last year and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
West said:
I'm betting that he falls from the 1 ranking and ends up about the 3-4 in N.A. and 6-10 overall. I see Ladd and Thelen passing him in the N.A. listing and maybe one other guy will slip past him. Ovechkin and Malkin are good bets to be taken before him in the draft. Also there will possibly be 3-4 players that could be selected before him but I'd say that's it.

He'll probably not be picked over this year because so many teams realized they made a mistake passing on Fehr (both player have are developing along similar lines althouh I'd say Fehr is more a shooter and Chipchura is more a playmaker) last year and don't want to make the same mistake twice.

He'll go up against Malkin at the U-18's next week--the scouts will get a final evaluation of how big a "gap" if any exists.......

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Heater15 said:

Central scouting doesn't have a very good track record as far as their rankings comparing to how the draft actually turns out.

And their mid-season rankings will definitely be much, much different than the final rankings. Go look at some previous mid-season rankings by them and it might leave you scratching your head.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
Well Thanks all who posted He sounds like a keeper hopefully he drops down to the 15th or 14th spot where the Oilers will be picking :banana:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
TheBrew said:
Well Thanks all who posted He sounds like a keeper hopefully he drops down to the 15th or 14th spot where the Oilers will be picking
As an Oiler fan how can you get excited about a projected 2nd-3rd line player? The franchise is bereft of top end talent to be affordable in the economic system the NHL has up until now.

The Oilers do not need another Horcoff, Reasoner, Moreau, etc etc.

edit to remove banana.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
slats432 said:
As an Oiler fan how can you get excited about a projected 2nd-3rd line player? The franchise is bereft of top end talent to be affordable in the economic system the NHL has up until now.

The Oilers do not need another Horcoff, Reasoner, Moreau, etc etc.

edit to remove banana.
High End Talent at the 15th pick in what most people think is a weak draft year?maybe i'm missing something? but come on Horcoff and Reasoner i would hope he's capable of a bit better than that.

:banana: :banana: :banana:

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
TheBrew said:
High End Talent at the 15th pick in what most people think is a weak draft year?maybe i'm missing something? but come on Horcoff and Reasoner i would hope he's capable of a bit better than that.

:banana: :banana: :banana:
I really am not sure he is, I see him maxing at 50 points, I could be very wrong, but I've watched this kid since midget, I'm no professional scout though, but he'll be alot like Stoll IMO.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
kruezer said:
I really am not sure he is, I see him maxing at 50 points, I could be very wrong, but I've watched this kid since midget, I'm no professional scout though, but he'll be alot like Stoll IMO.
Another Stoll would be good you can never have enough of those type of players

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
TheBrew said:
Another Stoll would be good you can never have enough of those type of players

unfortunately, yes you can and the Oilers already do. I agree with Kruezer that you want to use your first round picks with higher expectations.

That said, if Chipchura realizes his full potential, he can be quite a bit better than Stoll - for his age, he is a more skilled player who sees the ice better and is stronger in traffic. Who knows whether he can realize the potential that implies - but it explains his ranking.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Munchausen said:
Chipchura is a player I like alot. Seems to play with an edge. Works very hard. He just seems to have the mental constitution to go very far and become a vital part of any team, even if not necessarily from scoring every game (although from reading the various opinions on him, I'm starting to beleive his offensive upside is underrated a tad). He understands the game well. I'd say he'll become a very good 2nd line center or an elite 3rd liner. His stock may fall from the lack of production this year.

As a fan, I hope Montreal will be lucky enough to see him fall between the 15th and 20th spot because over the past, Montreal have drafted highly skilled small finesse players with loads of offensive upside, but failed to draft quality character guys (aside from Higgins) like Chipchura (I was hoping for Getzlaf last year). The fact they will pick lower this year might mean they will be tempted to go that route. Plus a good 2-way center with strenght and size is as badly needed in Montreal as they get, and with Gainey running the team, this might become the #1 priority.

That's not a bad idea at all. Would be a good fit.

I doubt he'll still be there, however. But you never know, and there's always the possibility of moving up on draft day with a trade.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Vlad The Impaler said:
That's not a bad idea at all. Would be a good fit.

I doubt he'll still be there, however. But you never know, and there's always the possibility of moving up on draft day with a trade.
I would rather Ladd or Wolski over Chipchura. Stafford may be the spare change left over in terms of PowerForward mold forwards. I could really see then taking a run at eith er Stafford or Berti.

Duff88

May 7, 2002
I'd say he should be picked around 12-18.

IMO, he's the 10th best forward available for the draft. Ovechkin, Olesz, Malkin, Schremp, Wolski, Tukonen, Stafford, Ladd & Picard are all ahead of him.

He was described very well : Big, good defensively, underrated offensively, good skill set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->