Kyle Chipchura

Status
Not open for further replies.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
He's solid, I really haven't seen much of him, I always miss when he plays the Hitmen, but from what I do know of him I really am convinced his career is going to mirror that of Jarret Stoll's. I don't think that makes any sense, they aren't that similar of players, but thats what I expect anyway.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Add to the comments above the following: Chipchura is as strong on the puck as anyone at his level - has an almost uncanny ability to control through traffic without actually seeming to be moving very quickly. He is strong as a horse, and as someone said above, has more than a bit of a mean streak. He is going to play the game at the next level soon so I would expect him to go high - almost certainly first out of the W which should mean top ten at worst - maybe as high as top 4?

The one knock used to be that it took a lot to get him to step up his game when it got tight - he had one intensity level that did not translate into performance when it needed to. That has been largely resolved this year.

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
WOW! There are some Chipchura lovers out there. He may be able to dangle like Naslund but he sure can't finish like Naslund. Only 13 goals and 7 of them were on the PP. I just don't see him having enough offense to warrant a top 10 selection. He reminds me of Ethan Moreau. A big guy that skates real well and drives hard to the net but doesn't have the moves to be an elite player. Plus Barker is probably going to be the first player selected out of the Dub and it wouldn't shock me if Dubnyk or Ladd went before Chipchura. He might go late top 10 but I think he will go in the 10-15 range.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Blue Bullet said:
WOW! There are some Chipchura lovers out there. He may be able to dangle like Naslund but he sure can't finish like Naslund. Only 13 goals and 7 of them were on the PP. I just don't see him having enough offense to warrant a top 10 selection. He reminds me of Ethan Moreau. A big guy that skates real well and drives hard to the net but doesn't have the moves to be an elite player. Plus Barker is probably going to be the first player selected out of the Dub and it wouldn't shock me if Dubnyk or Ladd went before Chipchura. He might go late top 10 but I think he will go in the 10-15 range.
I agree, I like the guy, but I'd take Ladd in a second.

meds09

Jan 14, 2004
kruezer said:
I agree, I like the guy, but I'd take Ladd in a second.
If anyone would take Ladd over Chipchura, they are complete hockey morons. Ladd does not even compare to Chipchura.

Hemsky01

May 5, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I've seen Chipchura play about 20 games and he will be a pro. At worst, he's a big 3rd or 4th line centre and his upside is a dominant #1 centre. He plays a very much powerforward style and has been very snake bitten this year.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Top 10. IMO he is the best Player NA has to offer for this year.

Myself I am not a big fan of him. I think he is overrated for this years draft as I don't see too much pro potential in him except that of a 3rd liner. A solid 2nd round pick but by no means a guy I would take in the top 20 of this year.

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
moosefan said:
Myself I am not a big fan of him. I think he is overrated for this years draft as I don't see too much pro potential in him except that of a 3rd liner. A solid 2nd round pick but by no means a guy I would take in the top 20 of this year.

Based on what, exactly?

gb701

Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
moosefan said:
what do you mean based on what. I seen him play about 4 games live and in every game he did not impress me at all with his skills. IMO he is overrated.

Wow - four whole games! Amazing - must be why your opinion would count and that of the scouts or those who have watched him over years doesn't.

Reminds me of criticism of those who have said Crosby is overrated because they saw 3-4 of his less impressive games.

Seriously - to call someone overrated on the limited basis you described is just silly and says a lot more about you than about his potential.

For what it is worth - and I said this above - there are some legitimate knocks on his play in the past in terms of intensity and quickness, drawbacks that some see more than others do. These are compensated for, more or less, by his strength, size, and hands (especially in traffic). So I am not saying he is going to be a showboat, but I do think (as do most western scouts) that he is going either number 1 or 2 out of the WHL; and that with his size and physical maturity he is one of the few with a legitimate chance to play fairly early. This improves his draft position - doesn't put him on the first line, maybe - but in the league early and for a long time.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
gb701 said:
Wow - four whole games! Amazing - must be why your opinion would count and that of the scouts or those who have watched him over years doesn't.

Reminds me of criticism of those who have said Crosby is overrated because they saw 3-4 of his less impressive games.

Seriously - to call someone overrated on the limited basis you described is just silly and says a lot more about you than about his potential.

For what it is worth - and I said this above - there are some legitimate knocks on his play in the past in terms of intensity and quickness, drawbacks that some see more than others do. These are compensated for, more or less, by his strength, size, and hands (especially in traffic). So I am not saying he is going to be a showboat, but I do think (as do most western scouts) that he is going either number 1 or 2 out of the WHL; and that with his size and physical maturity he is one of the few with a legitimate chance to play fairly early. This improves his draft position - doesn't put him on the first line, maybe - but in the league early and for a long time.

most scouts only make their decisons on 4 to 5 games anyway, teams don't have a permenint scout there scouting him 24/7.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
gb701 said:

I don't think he told the opinions of certain scouts (are you sure ALL the scouts think highly of Chipchura?) doesn't count. Four games, BTW, is not such a bad number.

In the years where I was trying to see as many CHLers/draftees as possible, that's pretty much all I could afford and over the years, I've come to realize it might be as well that way. Juniors like you may think we need to watch a guy 50 times to make a correct assessment but simply put, there just isn't enough time to do so in a hockey season if you wanna see a lot of the given year's crop.

Grab a calculator, see for yourself.

There just aren't enough days in a hockey year to give a superb level of attention to most prospects. It sucks but what can you do, apart from listening quietly to know-nothings whining because they expect you to see all guys 15 times?

Every year, whether I watch the NHL, CHL, etc. I try to keep a notebook on all the hockey periods I see. I know by now that every game I watch, say, Michael Ryder, it's a game I am not watching Hunter or Bergeron or Pitkanen. Same thing when I watched a lot of CHL hockey.

It was even worse when I went to see the guys live in the Q. This is extremely time-consuming and you can't watch that many games in a hockey year.

The bottom line is, if you watch Chipchura 10-12 times, then there are other players you will not have time to watch as much, if at all.

gb701 said:

That may have something to do with the intelligence of the person, as opposed to the number of games they have seen Crosby in. Ever thought of that?

Although we'd have to put it in context of the posts. Depending on the claims that were made, they may have been right in certain cases that Crosby was overrated by *certain individuals*. I've seen some pretty wild claims thrown at Crosby, Ovechkin and other prospects that are pretty... out there.

gb701 said:

Well tell us, please, how omniscience works. I've tried Voodoo, yoga and **** but it still doesn't work. I've though of a consultation in Tibet but that would eat time in the hockey season.

But you find me a way where I can see all the good young players 10 times a year. Better yet, don't TELL me. SELL me. I'd buy it and give you lots of money for this. And so would "pro scouts" and the 30 NHL teams.

The saddest thing is seeing people like you show their irritating combination of ignorance and arrogance to put down someone like Moosefan. While I don't always agree with him, he contributes a lot and his opinion is not made of thin air.

And if all that matters to you is the opinion of pro scouts, you might be better off leaving this community. What you need is a CSS list and perhaps those clown at Redline.

I became sold on HF when I got some totally unique perspective on players that weren't talked about much, were rated extremely low and ended up being much better than what "the pro scouts" expected, apparently. I was pretty glad I listened to some folks here. There are some people who have interesting things to say, even if they aren't pro scouts. This place happens to be where they share their thoughts.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
Im sick of all you wannabe hockey experts hacking on 17 year old players. Chipchura will never be a first liner, never put up big numbers in the NHL. All you people sound like Bob McKenzie who is a fool all together and never even played hockey. Chipchura is only 17 and is still having a good season where young players dont dominate. Next year he will score 40 goals with PA, make Team Canada and continue his bright future. Look at Eric Fehr from the BWK. How many of you were saying he only and he will never be a player after he scoerd 20 some odd goals last year. Looks like a good deal to everyone now. Even take Justin Williams, he only scored like 15 goals as a 17 yr in the OHL then exploded for 39 the next year and make the show as a 19 yr and will eb a offensive threat in years to come. Stop cutting down kids and saying they will never be this or that, look at their bright side, not all of them are Joson Bosigniore's. Worry about yourselfs and how often you are on the board (job?) then how you rip into kids playing the game they love!!!

Dr_Chimera*

knowitall said:
Im sick of all you wannabe hockey experts hacking on 17 year old players. Chipchura will never be a first liner, never put up big numbers in the NHL. All you people sound like Bob McKenzie who is a fool all together and never even played hockey.

I agree. I think these kids are all future first-liners. Every single one of them.

Ever heard of the scout who likes everyone and everything? Well, he's not much of a scout.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
knowitall said:
Im sick of all you wannabe hockey experts hacking on 17 year old players. Chipchura will never be a first liner, never put up big numbers in the NHL. All you people sound like Bob McKenzie who is a fool all together and never even played hockey. Chipchura is only 17 and is still having a good season where young players dont dominate. Next year he will score 40 goals with PA, make Team Canada and continue his bright future. Look at Eric Fehr from the BWK. How many of you were saying he only and he will never be a player after he scoerd 20 some odd goals last year. Looks like a good deal to everyone now. Even take Justin Williams, he only scored like 15 goals as a 17 yr in the OHL then exploded for 39 the next year and make the show as a 19 yr and will eb a offensive threat in years to come. Stop cutting down kids and saying they will never be this or that, look at their bright side, not all of them are Joson Bosigniore's. Worry about yourselfs and how often you are on the board (job?) then how you rip into kids playing the game they love!!!

"To cry, cry me a river
Cry me a river-er
Cry me a river
Cry me a river-er, yea yea"

Yes, Yes you were worthy of a quote from Justin Timberlake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->