Kris Russell and Kris Letang

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
I could have sworn I saw this thread a while ago, but I could not find it in the last 12 pages or so, maybe I missed it I don't know.

Anyway, do you guys think both of them will be in the NHL next season?

Who is better right now?

Who will be the better pro?

I haven't seen much of either of them can someone tell me if their games are comparable, they seem physically similar in terms of height and weight and both produce lots of points, but that's about all I know of them.

Erika

Jan 9, 2007
Gatineau
Both are absolute studs !!

Pretty sure they will be future all-stars and will put 40-50 points on the board each year and being great defensively in their own end.

Letang, comparable to Dan Boyle

Russell, comparable to Kimo Timonen

Personally, I prefer Kriss Russell :)

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
I could have sworn I saw this thread a while ago, but I could not find it in the last 12 pages or so, maybe I missed it I don't know.

Anyway, do you guys think both of them will be in the NHL next season?

Who is better right now?

Who will be the better pro?

I haven't seen much of either of them can someone tell me if their games are comparable, they seem physically similar in terms of height and weight and both produce lots of points, but that's about all I know of them.

Both of them won't play in the NHL. (Letang might geta shot at it)

Who is better right now? I would say equal.

Who will be a better pro? Kris Russell... This guy is unbelievable. He's a leader and plays 30 mins a game for his team. He can be compared to Scott Neidermayer. He is so good jumping in the rush and then in his defensive position. One of the best skater. I was really impressed with him this year in WHL.

Laraque4PM*

Who will be a better pro? Kris Russell... This guy is unbelievable. He's a leader and plays 30 mins a game for his team. He can be compared to Scott Neidermayer. He is so good jumping in the rush and then in his defensive position. One of the best skater. I was really impressed with him this year in WHL.

Thats who my initial comparison would be, his stride is so similar.

AgentNaslund*

Russell for me. Seen enough of this go to battle against Vancovuer Giants. Also I prefer a 6'0 defencemen over a 5'10 Defencemen.

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007

Ok I'm not exactly sure what you mean, cause you say both WON'T be in the NHL and letang is the only one who might get a shot at it, but then you say Kris Russell is unbelievable and he is like Scott Niedermayer (who is a pretty darn good player). So maybe you could explain a little more.

And also Letang almost made the penguins last year so what would stop him in the next couple years from making it?

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007
Russell for me. Seen enough of this go to battle against Vancovuer Giants. Also I prefer a 6'0 defencemen over a 5'10 Defencemen.

So you like Russell better but you like Letang's height is that what you are saying?

Cause Russell is listed at 5"10 and I found Letang on the penguins website listed at 5"11. Neither is 6"0 and Letang is the taller one not Russell, but you imply that Russell is (correct me if I'm wrong)

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
It seems like a stretch to me that both would be in the NHL. I'd say Letang has the better chance, based on last year. But also based on physique.

I never quite seem to see Russell when he's playing at his god-like dominating best, so maybe I'm missing something in my analysis on him. But from the games I have seen, I still have a lot of trouble imagining that he could survive in the NHL until he can add some additional strength and bulk. Columbus may not have the most talented team in the league, but still, as far as I know anyway, they're going to have Klesla, Foote, Hainsey, and Westcott back. Plus Tollefsen and Johnson, you'd think. My impression was that Eriksson played well for them, and I'd have thought he'd be back in their plans, but I guess I don't know it. Plus now they've signed Maenpaa? There's a lot of bodies kicking around on D, anyway. Maenpaa and Westcott are pretty smallish too. Rushing Russell in doesn't *seem* like a good bet to me, anyway.

Whereas Letang I think is already thicker and stronger than Russell, and I can see him surviving better in the NHL, plus there seem to be more openings on the Pittsburgh D for a young kid to come in and play a bit. Gonchar, Whitney, Orpik and Eaton seem to be the only sure bets there. The Pens will probably try to sign a somewhat-prominent free agent on D. But there will still be a couple spots available after that.

So Letang wins on the "better right now" bit... at least in terms of being more ready and able to step immediately into the NHL.

Longer term... no idea really. Russell seems to be recognized as the more purely talented guy, so presumably as long as he makes the requisite physical adjustments, he'll ultimately end up putting more points on the board. In terms of style, I tend to see Russell as the guy who's better at skating with the puck, joining in the offense on the rush, or pinching in on the point. Letang may have a shooting edge, but I don't expect him to be a notorious puck-rushing guy like Russell could be. Defensively, if Russell truly can utilize his speed the way Niedermayer does, he could be very effective there too... when he gets burned, it tends to be getting caught on offense or being out-muscled, but overall he plays his position better than Letang IMHO, and he has a fair bit of feistiness that might put him in good standing if he truly can add the strength to back it up. So longterm, I guess I'll go with Russell.

crthomp

Apr 18, 2007

Sorry I think I understand what you meant now, you meant that by next season letang will have the better shot to make it, but you think that BOTH will be in the NHL in the future. Is that correct?

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
hahaha there have been some sub par answers so far in this thread regarding the subject. I would say they are definately quite comparable players. I've watched both of them player at least 10 times if not more.

Letang I would say has more capabilities based on his physical stature, whereas Russell likely thinks the game slightly better.

Both are quite advanced in the way they think the game, but Russell does have the edge. I'd say both will make the NHL, though I would guess that Letang will actually be the better of the two. Russell will be somewhat limited because he is quite a bit smaller than Letang actually. Letang is near and likely over 200 lbs, whereas russell I would say is around 180 at best dispite any other reports.

Id love to have both. I think Letang will be very similar to Dan Boyle and Russell will be maybe a bit like Jordan Leopold before he lost alot of his offence.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
If Letang can't beat an empty roster spot for the third pairing on the Penguins then something is seriously wrong with his game.

I wouldnt go that far, its very possible the Penguins might want to give him 25 mins a night in the AHL over 10 mins per night on the 3rd pairing.

I think he will be in the NHL next year but if he isnt that will be the reason.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I wouldnt go that far, its very possible the Penguins might want to give him 25 mins a night in the AHL over 10 mins per night on the 3rd pairing.

I think he will be in the NHL next year but if he isnt that will be the reason.

If he isn't that would be the reason...but I don't see his ice time being that low when he's a right handed shot. It shouldn't take long at all for him to be a feature on the power play. At the very least he should be on the second unit without issue. Orpik and Eaton are useless on the power play so he should have the oppurtunity to grab a spot fairly quickly. Especially considering both of his goals in his short stay in Pittsburgh were scored on the power play.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
If he isn't that would be the reason...but I don't see his ice time being that low when he's a right handed shot. It shouldn't take long at all for him to be a feature on the power play. At the very least he should be on the second unit without issue.

It depends who comes in i guess and what Therrien decides to do with Gonchars ice time, knocking 3 minutes off his 25 per night is probably the only way you can find more time for the 3rd pairing. Letangs time will also depend on how much PK time he is trusted with.

Getting on that top PP unit is going to be tricky with both Whitney and Gonchar top 10 in D scoring this past year.

Would be interesting to see the Pens try a PP unit with 3 Dmen on it once in a while, use Gonchar central with Whitney wide left, Letang wide right, stick Roberts in the crease and let Sid float around and set up those 3 on the blueline to blast away. Will never happen but its an interesting thought anyway :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad