Line Combos: Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello

Zucc36

Jan 8, 2011
Zucc has agreed to terms, Kreider and Brass will be re signed. With Pouliot gone, what will the line combos for next season be? Stempniak a direct replacement for Poo in the Zucc-line?

I would like to see Kreider take that spot, what do you think?

Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello

Maybe it could be called the "Arbitration line?" :)

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think putting Kreider on that line is a waste. Brassard and Zuke showed last year that they can put together a great line with a middling player. Kreider's talents are better utilized on another line where he's needed more.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I think Kreider's defense leaves a lot to be desired and so does Brassard's. I would prefer putting a more defensively responsible winger on this line and putting Kreider with a semi-elite defensive player like Stepan or Nash.

I really think that

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Nash-Brass-Zucc

Would be awesome, or you can even do:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hagelin-Brass-Zucc
Nash-Miller-Stempniak

KreiMeARiver*

I think putting Kreider on that line is a waste. Brassard and Zuke showed last year that they can put together a great line with a middling player. Kreider's talents are better utilized on another line where he's needed more.

correctamundo

I enjoyed your use of the word "middling". You know, a middling player, like Stempniak.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
Zucc has agreed to terms, Kreider and Brass will be re signed. With Pouliot gone, what will the line combos for next season be? Stempniak a direct replacement for Poo in the Zucc-line?

I would like to see Kreider take that spot, what do you think?

Nash-Stepan-MSL
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello

Maybe it could be called the "Arbitration line?" :)

Yes please to both of these lines. If Brassard is going to be the 2nd center Nash or Kreider will play opposite of him and Zucc

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Personally I think we have seen Nash is much better on the RW when he can open up for a shot easier on the rush.

I like:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL. Kreider to win battles/net front. MSL to create. Steps does a little of everything and gives them an anchor defensively.

Stemp-Brass-Zucc. Stemp can skate with Brass-Zucc who have natural chemistry which should be kept intact. Feel that this LW spot is the best place to "carry" a player.

Hagelin-Miller-Nash. Line should be good at puck retreival. Nash to Miller is a watered down version of Jagr and Dubi; borderline rookie carried by superior talent who can create on his own. Could swap Hags and Stemp but think Miller-Nash needs Hagelin more than Brass-Zucc.

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
Personally I think we have seen Nash is much better on the RW when he can open up for a shot easier on the rush.

I like:

Kreider-Stepan-MSL. Kreider to win battles/net front. MSL to create. Steps does a little of everything and gives them an anchor defensively.

Stemp-Brass-Zucc. Stemp can skate with Brass-Zucc who have natural chemistry which should be kept intact. Feel that this LW spot is the best place to "carry" a player.

Hagelin-Miller-Nash. Line should be good at puck retreival. Nash to Miller is a watered down version of Jagr and Dubi; borderline rookie carried by superior talent who can create on his own. Could swap Hags and Stemp but think Miller-Nash needs Hagelin more than Brass-Zucc.

This point is stressed so often, but same was said with Step Kreids when Zucc played with them and every other player he has lined with.

I think it is an overrated point, and that he is simply good at making his linemates better.

That being said. Brass Zucc seems natural when constructing a 2nd line though

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
This point is stressed so often, but same was said with Step Kreids when Zucc played with them and every other player he has lined with.

I think it is an overrated point, and that he is simply good at making his linemates better.

That being said. Brass Zucc seems natural when constructing a 2nd line though

I don't disagree really with your point, and if anything that would strengthen the argument that Brass & Stemp could work if paired with Zucc. And doing so allows the Rangers to spread more talent through the other lines based on players "needing it more".

SKS

Jan 17, 2011
San Francisco
I don't disagree really with your point, and if anything that would strengthen the argument that Brass & Stemp could work if paired with Zucc. And doing so allows the Rangers to spread more talent through the other lines based on players "needing it more".

Indeed a fair point, and last year proved how beneficial it was to have 3 good scoring lines.

I would really love to see Zucc "unleashed" together with top talent against top competition, though.
I believe he would thrive in such a situation, but it is also important to see prior to his re-negotiation since that would likely land him a deal in the top 2nd line player vicinity if he continues to produce.

A good line to address these issues would be the Nash-Brass-Zucc combo in my opinion. Nash would attract focus from other team, and hopefully convert more of Zuccarello's passes, while Zucc himself would receive a bit extra space.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Put Kreider or Hagelin on the Brass line.

Do not weigh them down with another 1 million dollar player on LW.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Zuke was the one driving that line. Brass was very good as well. They do need size on that line. I'd argue putting Nash there. Potentially, bigger bodied players fill that line better than a Hagelin or MSL. I think there are many viable line combos we have and that means we have depth. I think having Pouliot who was a good player, hurt us to juggle a line here and there. He was only effective with Brass and Zuke. Zuke and Brass can play with others on this roster. Stempniak will find his niche like Pouliot did, but I see him being a guy who you can move around more. I'd play him with Stepan and Kreider. Gives you Brass, Zuke, Nash, MSL, and Hagelin to mesh. Remember AV wants 3 lines who are a threat and a solid 4th.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i like to put right handed centers with leftwing strong lines, and left handed centers with right wing strong lines.

problem is all our strength is on the right side.

stepan needs to play with Kreider. the RW on that line is debateable, but since MSL is more of a playmaker thn a goal scorer (but he can still score) i think i tmakes a lot of sense to play him on the right side of that line. he can pass to Stepan and Kreider. Kreider will see a lot of points if he plays with MSL imho.

Kreider - Stepan - MSL

Then I'd like to keep Brassard and MZA together, way too much chemistry there.

Maybe put Stempniak on that line and see what you get?

Stempniak - Brassard - Zucc

Then youve got your "3rd" line to deal with. Personally Id go with this.

Hagelin - Miller - Nash

I think that line could be solid, Hagelin is a solid backchecker and i feel like both nash and hagelin are monster possession players, put them together and you should minimize millers mistakes since he wont be defending as much. will also insulate miller by putting him with 2 very effective wingers.

Then youve got your 4th line. Id go with this.

Lombardi - Moore - Dorsett

unfortunately we're idiots and trade Dorsett and signed Glass. Since i think Glass is a terribad signing, i wouldnt play him.

Lombardi - Lindberg - Moore

Lindberg is a damn good defensive center, and Moore can spell him when he's struggling.

Jesper Fasth and play if Lombardi isnt NHL ready.

younger team, fast team...probably not as good a team as last year though.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
Obvious choice: Stemps
Runner Ups: Nash, Miller, Hagelin
Definitely not: MSL, Fast, Kristo
Distance Options: Bourque, Hagerty

AHB*

Put Kreider or Hagelin on the Brass line.

Do not weigh them down with another 1 million dollar player on LW.

It's ridiculous to act like either Pouliot or Stempniak are 1 million dollar players.

That may have been their cap hits, but Pouliot was a very important part of that line. I'm not sure if Stempniak is capable of switching wings but he is extremely talented and would fit rather well on that line.

Personally I'd like to try Nash-Brass and Zucc on a line together. I think Nash is very good defensively and would be a much better finisher then Poo who missed quite a few chances this year.

I would have something like this to start the year.

Nash-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-MSL
Hags-Lombardi/Miller-Stempniak
Please not Glass/Miller-Moore- Fast/Cheap Signing

NYRCSKA*

The secret: Play Zuc with someone who needs a wakeup call. Whichever line is playing the worst, plug Zuc on the wing. When they go back to playing well, plug zucc with brass again.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I would give it a shot if necessary. Kreider could benefit from two playmakers who can skate with him. I also think the Stepan/Nash line could benefit from being reunited with Hagelin.

Hagelin - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Brassard - Zucc
Stempniak - ? - MSL

Ilovemymum

recreational MD
Feb 17, 2010
The secret: Play Zuc with someone who needs a wakeup call. Whichever line is playing the worst, plug Zuc on the wing. When they go back to playing well, plug zucc with brass again.

Could work, but think Zuke himself might disaprove and become a UFA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad