Kovalchuk and Parise leaving the Devils after reaching the SCF

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
I apologize if there is a thread about this already but I was wondering if there was ever a similar situation in the past.

From the main boards, I was thinking how crazy the Devils would have been with Hall on their squad instead of Larsson back in 2012, then I recalled how the team lost their indisputably two best forwards (I dare say players) right after reaching the Stanley Cup Finals. I admit that it seemed to be a weak year in the east and everyone was surprised to see them make it so far in the playoffs, but is there another franchise that has lost multiple key players in free agency following such a strong playoff run?

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
The Sabres lost both Drury and Briere after winning the President's trophy and getting to the ECF.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Sens finished 1st in '06, but lost in the 2nd round, then lost Chara and Havlat to free agency only to make the Finals in '07

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Avs lost Fleury (late season rental), Kamensky, and Lefebvre in the 99 offseason after coming a game away from the finals. Not even close to the same magnitude as the Devils losses, considering they still had the entirety of their core, but worth mentioning.

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Detroit lost Vernon and Konstantinov after the 97 victory. Also Fedorov for most of the season. Fortunately, all these problems were mitigated. The loss of Hasek and Bowman in 02 was bigger IMO.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Kovalchuk did however play one more year after 2012 for the Devils. Parise was gone right away though.

The Habs lost Bowman, Dryden, Lemaire and Cournoyer after 1979. This ended the dynasty. Cournoyer was missing a ton of time at this point but the other three were all huge in their own way and the Habs were never the same. I don't know if that can be beat.

1971 Habs lost Beliveau and John Ferguson after winning a Cup. A year after that it was J-C Tremblay.

Ducks lost Niedermayer and Selanne after 2007, although they both returned.

Penguins lost Hossa after 2008 and reaching the Cup final. That was a big blow. But they also lost Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Hawks traded Ladd, Versteeg, Buff after winning the Cup in 2010. No stars but all are very important players for the Hawks.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Kovalchuk did however play one more year after 2012 for the Devils. Parise was gone right away though.

The Habs lost Bowman, Dryden, Lemaire and Cournoyer after 1979. This ended the dynasty. Cournoyer was missing a ton of time at this point but the other three were all huge in their own way and the Habs were never the same. I don't know if that can be beat.

1971 Habs lost Beliveau and John Ferguson after winning a Cup. A year after that it was J-C Tremblay.

Ducks lost Niedermayer and Selanne after 2007, although they both returned.

Penguins lost Hossa after 2008 and reaching the Cup final. That was a big blow. But they also lost Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts.

Lemaire, Cournoyer, Beliveau, Dryden were all past their prime, in some cases way past. Ferguson was a fighter who could play a bit, and in any event was not very good at that point.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Lemaire, Cournoyer, Beliveau, Dryden were all past their prime, in some cases way past. Ferguson was a fighter who could play a bit, and in any event was not very good at that point.

Afraid I'll have to disagree there. You are right on Cournoyer. He was battered and his back was killing him at that time. He didn't even play in the 1979 playoffs. Lemaire on the other hand led the playoffs in points in 1979. Dryden had been a 1st team all-star that year. Both were very much still excellent players at that time.

Beliveau was old in 1971 but was still top 10 in scoring in the regular season and had 22 playoff points. No doubt it was a big loss losing him, although the Habs did just fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad