News Article: Kovacs Under Investigation For Reckless Driving

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Once again, here's a professional hockey player who makes it hard for fans to like him. Hopefully, he will learn from this tragic mistake. But, honestly, I really don't care whether he's a part of the Ranger organization going forward or not.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It's a horrible story, and he played no small part. But good people can make bad choices. I trust the discretion of their criminal justice system. Hope he moves forward and becomes a good part of the Rangers organization.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
It's a horrible story, and he played no small part. But good people can make bad choices. I trust the discretion of their criminal justice system. Hope he moves forward and becomes a good part of the Rangers organization.

Not everyone believes people can change, but I truly believe in second chances...even third chances if necessary (as long as what they did wasn't entirely awful). Some people have to learn the hard way what it takes to be a good, responsible person. I'm all for giving him another chance, and hope that people will not hold this over his head (unless he screws up again). Give the kid a clean slate and at least allow him an opportunity to change and make better decisions.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
As a father of an 8 year old who crosses the street (15mph play zone) several times a day to play with his buddies I have a special disdain for people who decide to drink and drive or race their cars in places where you can easily kill an innocent bystander.

We have some *******s in this town who think 15mph is only a gentle "suggestion" and race their trucks through this play area with squealing tires. Local PD thankfully is now setting up some traps after they realized this is an ongoing problem.

Sorry, but if you want to race and impress girls or whoever take it to a race course.
Let's hope Kovacs stops being an *******.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Not good. For anybody. Guy needs to totally change his attitude this year. These AIK guys... Not going to elaborate more here for now on this. Make it or break it. This could be a wake up call or it could be a nail in the coffin. Time will tell.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
As a father of an 8 year old who crosses the street (15mph play zone) several times a day to play with his buddies I have a special disdain for people who decide to drink and drive or race their cars in places where you can easily kill an innocent bystander.

We have some *******s in this town who think 15mph is only a gentle "suggestion" and race their trucks through this play area with squealing tires. Local PD thankfully is now setting up some traps after they realized this is an ongoing problem.

Sorry, but if you want to race and impress girls or whoever take it to a race course.
Let's hope Kovacs stops being an *******.

It wasn't the same thing, and that is also investing personal emotion into something so far removed from you; but sure.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
MacTavish got vehicular manslaughter. He hit a woman and killed her and he'd been drinking. Something similar I think with Jimmy Craig--the US Olympic winning goalie in 1980. It pretty much destroyed his career. That's not quite similar to what happened here.

Different places--different laws. I sometimes look back at myself--some of the things I used to do and I could have been pulled over a lot of times for being drunk.....so is it luck or what?

Anyway I haven't heard that Kovacs was drinking. He was doing something just as dumb as what I use to do and a lot of other people have done only he now has a best friend who is dead because of that and I'm sure he's feeling some guilt over that. I don't know--does he need to go to jail for something he's probably going to carry with him the rest of his life? I would think he's already learned a lesson and that jail time would just be some kind of redundant punishment.

Either or though--right now I wouldn't expect him at training camp.

Its a bit interesting, in Sweden its not a big deal to drive extremely fast and or recklessly. But if you take a sip of alcohol (0.2 %o) they lock you up and throw away the keys. If you have like between 0.2-0.5%o you might not get jail time, but more than that even first time offenders will have to shake bars or get house arrest.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Another angle to consider is that we can't really predict how this episode will affect Kovacs emotionally. Kozlov talked about how he was unhappy and angry for years following his crash. Heatley reportedly dealt with significant guilt issues too. Even if Kovacs escapes punishment, he might not be the same player anymore.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Stop with the "just kids" B.S. Anyone over the age of 12 should know that going 120mph on a public road is stupid and endangers your life and everyone's around you. The only place this is acceptable is the autobahn, where everyone is going that speed.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I Drove 160 MPh the other day in My Jag on The Autobahn in Germany. Got passed by a few bikers. Speed kills. For sure

Germany doesn't count haha. I was going 85 MPH, which is the speed limit in the Netherlands, and a truck passed me on the right.

vladmyir111

Mar 27, 2007
Is driving that serious in Sweden? If I'm not mistaken murdering 70 people with a machine gun gets you only 25 years there.

But yeah no one forced anyone to race him and certainly he was not responsible for the other person's poor driving. A highly unfortunate situation for all involved and quite sad.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Only warning: stay strictly on topic and avoid offensive content in this thread.

Just because it's the summer, that doesn't mean you need to make mods' jobs harder.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Is driving that serious in Sweden? If I'm not mistaken murdering 70 people with a machine gun gets you only 25 years there.

But yeah no one forced anyone to race him and certainly he was not responsible for the other person's poor driving. A highly unfortunate situation for all involved and quite sad.

That's Norway you thinking about, Anders Breivik. He will most likely be locked up for the rest of his life though.

Kovacs won't face prison time. If that woman would have been killed or seriously injured maybe he would have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad