Kotkaniemi finishes the season with 27 points in 79 games & 1 point in 11 playoff games.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
Canes :
  • Signs Kotkaniemi to an offer sheet and takes a shot at MTL with a 20$ bonus
  • Canes Twitter guy trolls by posting the news in french
  • Media dept sets up a website to see if the Habs lost
  • Canes Twitter points to the signature after KK scores in the SO against MTL and reply to Habs fans
Habs fans :

''KK has 14 points in his last 65 games, lol''

Canes fans :

''OMG, you guys are so obsessed and salty.''

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Once Carolina buys him out Habs fans and Canes fans can have a beer together and talk about how disappointing of a player he was.

Complete waste of a top 3 pick and wasted cap space for the Canes.

Yeah, I don't think any fanbase can claim the moral high ground on the other.

The Canadiens signed a stupid offer to Carolina's best player and seemed to have been played by his agent in the process. The fanbase acted like complete jerkoffs about it and tried to troll the Hurricanes about (imaginary) liquidity troubles.

The Hurricanes turned around and offer sheeted a nothing player and burned themselves doing it. The team and its fans turned around and tried to troll the Canadiens over it, about a player that they knew absolutely nothing about it (the way some Canes fans were talking about their plans for him was hilariously out of whack with what the player could actually do). The ultimate mistake here was taking him third overall in the first place. Losing the actual player changed absolutely nothing for Montreal.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Ironically, the Ano offer sheet probably helped Carolina in the long run because it meant Aho's contract expired during the flat cap when the market was down for cap hits.

They wanted Aho sign 8 years or his QO. Has he signed 8 years, his third contract would have come under what will probably be a 100+ million cap. It would also cover years father away from his prime. He probably would have gotten 12-14 million.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017
Seems like fins are a bit like south americans in soccer. once they sign their contract they are out mentally, Ronaldinhio, Robino, kaka Neymar etc.. Then we got This guy, and the rest of the finns excluding perhaps rantanen.

Seems like one should think twice before signing a fin.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
False. The Canes had the 2nd line center position ready for KK, as they weren’t going to be able to pay Trocheck the money he wanted, and the belief was that if he didn’t develop into that role, he’d be able to take Staal’s role in the 3rd line center position once Staal retired. Because as BBA pointed out a few posts up, KK’s defensive metrics were doing well up until this year.

I don’t think it’s too out there to believe that a 3rd overall pick that was (by your own admission) poorly developed by an organization could find a new start and success in another. Which is what Carolina believed when they made the offer sheet and signed him to his new deal.
Let me check quickly Trocheck contract.....5.6m vs 4.8m for KK. Trocheck contract is barely 0.8 higher lol.

Last edited:

BullLund

Dec 28, 2017
Seems like fins are a bit like south americans in soccer. once they sign their contract they are out mentally, Ronaldinhio, Robino, kaka Neymar etc.. Then we got This guy, and the rest of the finns excluding perhaps rantanen.

Those guys just got overrated. Can't really even blame Kotkaniemi, he's a mediocre player that for whatever reason was picked high and given a big contract.

Barkov, Aho, Rantanen are performing just fine.

Reactions: Laus723

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Those guys just got overrated. Can't really even blame Kotkaniemi, he's a mediocre player that for whatever reason was picked high and given a big contract.

He got picked high because Montreal (and Arizona) were very center desperate (and draft that wasn't strong with centers and forwards in general), thus those teams reached on Kotkaniemi and then Hayton, despite defensemen like Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson being on the board.

Carolina gave him too much money because they liked the player pre draft and then wanted to do a petty offer sheet to get back at the Canadiens for the Aho offer sheet. Very odd behavior, but to each their own.

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
KK is literally an indictment of their team's own drafting skills.

KK, Slaf, Reinbacher, Mesar, Beck, Tuch, Mysak, Ylonen, Poehling, Juulsen, McCarron

Sure we had some bad picks, so have other teams. You think Slafs is a bad pick? Did you not follow hockey in the second half of this season? You think the Habs should give in on a big young D-man like Reinbacher in his D+1? Mesar looked really sharp in the O this season. Beck looks like he's gonna be a terrific 3rd line Centre maybe as soon as next year. Tuch's a 2nd rounder who should be a solid 3rd-4th line Wing.

I mean those other guys suck but they're from the last management group so whatevs. Anywho whether you like it or not us Habs fans are pretty happy right now. Are we guaranteed to be a contender in a few years? Nope. But we're trending baby, we're trending.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
The 3ish days of mocking is worth 3 years of obsession? I mean, more power to you if it is, but it comes off as a bit sad to me.

Regardless of how long you believe it was, there's been very little mocking from the organization and fanbase in a very long time. I believe the last thing from the organizational standpoint was when KK scored in his first game against the Habs, and even then, it was something on Twitter.

Since then, Carolina has moved on. The Montreal organization has moved on. Montreal fans remain glued to KK's statline.
What do you want the Canes to say? Of course there's been very little mocking from the organization, their mocking back fired in their faces and they got embarassed. I'm sure they would rather never hear about it ever again and hide somewhere remote. What kind of nonsense are you typing here? If KK became a superstar in Carolina with a 100 pt season you can bet your ass Canes fans AND the organization would never stop reminding us, and the Habs fanbase would be pretty damn quiet.

Get outta here with your dishonest hyperbole about "obsession". You know nobody's obsessed over this and they're just enjoying banter on a forum.

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
Ironically, the Ano offer sheet probably helped Carolina in the long run because it meant Aho's contract expired during the flat cap when the market was down for cap hits.

They wanted Aho sign 8 years or his QO. Has he signed 8 years, his third contract would have come under what will probably be a 100+ million cap. It would also cover years father away from his prime. He probably would have gotten 12-14 million.
Instead of having their championship window open with two good centers, they can pay less to 30+ Aho.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He was never “in” mentally. He would go long stretches of disappearing in Montreal too and people chalked it off as he was just young. He now has 6 seasons in the league and nothing has really changed. The saving grace is even now he’s still young but it’s looking more and more like what you see is what you get.

Reactions: PeteWorrell

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
He got picked high because Montreal (and Arizona) were very center desperate (and draft that wasn't strong with centers and forwards in general), thus those teams reached on Kotkaniemi and then Hayton, despite defensemen like Hughes, Bouchard, Dobson being on the board.

Carolina gave him too much money because they liked the player pre draft and then wanted to do a petty offer sheet to get back at the Canadiens for the Aho offer sheet. Very odd behavior, but to each their own.
Another master class from Buffoon Bergevin. He tried to acquire O'Reilly - maybe other centers as well - but everyone knew he is easy to fleece in trades, so they asked a lot. Instead he made a massive reach for a center who is an awful skater.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Kotkaniemi probably didn't quite have the tools a 3rd overall pick would generally have but he looked like a decent gamble there as there really wasn't a general consensus on who they should pick (don't even mention Tkachuk, he was probably even more polarizing pre-draft than KK). He was rushed because he went on to look like a complete beast early on after being drafted and the development then stalled.

I would've liked to see how his career would play out in Montreal as I felt he still had some potential in there (which I think he still does, the dude is only 23 after all) but I don't think there was any chance but to accept the Canes' insane offer. Yeah it might be a cheap buyout if everything goes south with him like it now seems but it was a ludicrous gamble to expect he'd develop into a 2C right away. The only regret I have about that offer sheet mess is that Bergevin then went on to waste the return on Dvorak.

yeaher

May 3, 2019

Kaka was due to injuries, he was nothing like the others mentioned in terms of partying. He is a very devout religious man who just couldn't stay healthy after he moved to Real.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
Gotta think theres a high chance he gets bought out.
Friedman mused about that this morning on 32 Thoughts. The economics of a buyout are favorable for Carolina here. I don't know if they will, but they probably should. They have a ton of other much more important contracts situations to deal with right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad