Korea 2018

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
ZURICH/SEOUL – Two North American-born ice hockey players have obtained Korean citizenship according to new naturalization legislation for outstanding athletes by the Republic of Korea, the Ministry of Justice announced. Mike Testwuide may play in the upcoming 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Division I Group B in Eindhoven, Netherlands. Caroline Park, a Canadian born in Brampton, Ontario of Korean heritage, also obtained Korean citizenship.

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/...]=9495&cHash=2d5161aeaaaa767e6e55886713187958

Caroline?? I assume she will play for the women's team!

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
South Korea is facing denmark the 5th of april in Denmark. One game will be against a u23 team and one against a combination of u23 with some senior players.

The danish federation were invited to Korea last year to talk about what denmark did to get from being in the button of the b group to being in the a group so this was a natural next step.

The south korean team is having a training camp in denmark. So looks like there is some investment.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
South Korea is facing denmark the 5th of april in Denmark. One game will be against a u23 team and one against a combination of u23 with some senior players.

The danish federation were invited to Korea last year to talk about what denmark did to get from being in the button of the b group to being in the a group so this was a natural next step.

The south korean team is having a training camp in denmark. So looks like there is some investment.

That's great to hear South Korea is taking the steps to build up their national team. This will be great for both Denmark and South Korea.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
That's great to hear South Korea is taking the steps to build up their national team. This will be great for both Denmark and South Korea.

It seems like a good model for them. We have a very small amount of players like South Korea so it would be possible to get some inspiration. I wonder if korea will hire a bunch of swedes now and send players to
swedish academies. .:sarcasm:
heh i would guess it has more to do with organisation.

South Korea beat denmarks u23 team 4-2...although it was a little weird roster

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
Very nice James!

I'm surprised he didn't call it ice hockey because field hockey is pretty popular in India and it's the men who mostly play it there not the women.

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Could one or two of the Kariyas help out behind the bench? IIRC all three speak passable Korean.

Maybe they do (they're Japanese, not Korean, but who knows how their language skills are!) but honestly, I'm not sure they're overly needed. They already have Jim Paek and Richard Park on their coaching staff so they have better NHL pedigree than the Kariyas (except Paul obviously!) and only Steve seems to be doing any coaching... and he's pretty new to it. If you go around the NHL coaching staff you'll see a lot of former players but not many superstars.... that's not really a requirement to be a good coach. The fact that they have two true former NHLers is probably good enough, and coaching ability trumps playing experience.

How good are the three guys on the stars prospect camp?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=775139

Not sure if their camp got any real coverage (I watched some of the NYI one and thought the coverage, outside of streaming quality, was pretty good), but going off of that article it looks like they were pretty good. Of course, they're the best players on the Korean team and they're older than most of the prospects, but it's good to see that they were able to blend in for the most part.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Just finished watching Denmark-Korea Republic in a 3 nation tournament in denmark...third country is norway..

Really impressed...Very high speed and very untraditional playstyle that will confuse a lot of teams.

They lost 3-1 to norway yesterday and lost 2-0 to Denmark today.

Very respectable results and its clear the program have come a long way.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Just finished watching Denmark-Korea Republic in a 3 nation tournament in denmark...third country is norway..

Really impressed...Very high speed and very untraditional playstyle that will confuse a lot of teams.

They lost 3-1 to norway yesterday and lost 2-0 to Denmark today.

Very respectable results and its clear the program have come a long way.
Any links to lineups and so?

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
http://forums.internationalhockey.n...nge-(EIHC)-Rødovre-(DEN)-11-13-February-2016

Could that be it?

Pretty strong teams by Denmark and Norway, so a great feat by Korea!

oh absolutely...Denmark fielded the best february team in a LONG time. We have Regin, and the Lauridsen brothers in europe again after a long time in NA so it was a strong squad, considering the time of year.
Denmark were clearly rusty but Korea Republic really impressed me. There is a lack of REAL quality but everybody seems very fast, and they play their energy game very well.

Fun Fact: Dont know who became the man of the match for each team in the norway-korea game but the Goalies won man of the match for both teams in both of Denmarks games:P

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
South Korea, Next Olympics Host, Building Hockey Teams from North America

Interesting read from the New York Times:

SEOUL, South Korea — Some female college students received emails a few years ago that sounded like a phishing scam, offering a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for free travel and a spot on South Korea’s Olympic women’s hockey team.

The offers were sincere. Officials in South Korea had apparently scoured online rosters for North American college hockey programs, looking for women with last names that looked as if they might be Korean. They were on a shopping spree to assemble Olympic hockey teams from scratch for the 2018 Winter Games.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/23/...es-2018-hockey.html?smid=fb-nytimes&smtyp=cur

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
oh absolutely...Denmark fielded the best february team in a LONG time. We have Regin, and the Lauridsen brothers in europe again after a long time in NA so it was a strong squad, considering the time of year.
Denmark were clearly rusty but Korea Republic really impressed me. There is a lack of REAL quality but everybody seems very fast, and they play their energy game very well.

Fun Fact: Dont know who became the man of the match for each team in the norway-korea game but the Goalies won man of the match for both teams in both of Denmarks games:P

Not bad by South Korea!

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Where is a name like Testwuide from btw?

I would make a wild guess and say it's some dialectical weird form of dutch/afrikaans (or perhaps Frisian or low german)?

So perhaps a variant of something meaning like Tast-wijd/wyd (Dutch/Afrikaans) = Touch/feeling-wide

or Tas-twuide (Bag/purse-??
Twuide some dialectical variant of an equivalent to old english Twain.

The name is certainly unusual.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
http://wmia2017.iihf.com/en/news/kor-ukr/

AEN20170429000652315_02_i.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad