Value of: Kopitar to St. Louis Blues

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
He's better as a winger. But sure, use him as a C- on your second line. He was shoehorned into the 1C role and couldn't do any of the things that role requires besides ride shotgun to two much better players. That's a big reason why the Blues are not playing hockey today.

If Blues fans want to believe he's a 1C, that's cool. They are only fooling themselves, and again not well as their lack of success this year has shown. But it is what it is and no other team really minds.

He just had his best season ever as a 1C. The reason the Blues aren't playing right now is because they stockpiled 3rd and 4th liners then got surprised when they didn't have any scoring after the top line, along with the continued failure of the Jake Allen experiment. You can continue talking about things you clearly haven't done even the most basic research about, though. That's cool too.

Reactions: Colt55 and 67Blues

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah if someone isn't acknowledging the Yeo Effect and Jake Allen as the 2 biggest problems the Blues face moving forward then I have a tough time taking them seriously.

Sure both scoring depth and injuries were a factor but we've all seen teams facing those issues pull together and overcome them to some extent and perform above expectations.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007
If they're bringing up Schenn as a reason when he was fantastic then they're focusing on the wrong guy.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Schenn just had the best offensive season by a full-time Blues center since Pierre Turgeon (seriously, look it up). He was first on the team in points and outplayed Tarasenko on a nightly basis. Him as our 1C isn't why we missed the playoffs. The problems were that the Blues had a first line, a third line, and two fourth lines. Meanwhile the powerplay was ranked 30th out of 31, and Jake Allen rolled out his second consecutive midseason meltdown. That's why the Blues are on the outside looking in, not Brayden Schenn.

The team very much needs another Top 6 center, but it's not because Schenn didn't carry his weight. He was the best forward on the team this year.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Schenn just had the best offensive season by a full-time Blues center since Pierre Turgeon (seriously, look it up). He was first on the team in points and outplayed Tarasenko on a nightly basis. Him as our 1C isn't why we missed the playoffs. The problems were that the Blues had a first line, a third line, and two fourth lines. Meanwhile the powerplay was ranked 30th out of 31, and Jake Allen rolled out his second consecutive midseason meltdown. That's why the Blues are on the outside looking in, not Brayden Schenn.

The team very much needs another Top 6 center, but it's not because Schenn didn't carry his weight. He was the best forward on the team this year.
I think it's just [posters] making these statements because they are upset that blues fans are unwilling to part with their bluechip prospects and top pairing young dman for old centers with long contracts and one center who will cost an arm, a leg, probably a torso too. Especially if they are picking on schenn as the source of the blues woes

Last edited by a moderator:

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
look at the past 2-3 decades of stanley cup winners and there 1c, is schenn close to any of those players? crazy that this has to be explained.......

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
look at the past 2-3 decades of stanley cup winners and there 1c, is schenn close to any of those players? crazy that this has to be explained.......
I'm sorry not every team can have a crosby, toews, kopitar on their team. Some teams have great centers and never make finals, like edm with mcdavid, NYI with tavares, tor mathews, ect. It's funny cause the blues have been further western conference finals with a 2c of Paul statsny playing 1c. Now we have a legit 70pt 1c player in schenn and your knocking us. Telling us we need to trade our second best d and 2-3 bluechip proses and a first for maybe 1 or 2 good years. The rest being decline years. No thank you.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis

I never thought Toews was all that great. Solid 1C just not an elite level. That team was led a lot by Kane and a solid D core with a good ability to move the puck up quickly. The other winners of LA and PITT. Wel Pitt has Sidney Crosby, that's not exactly repeatable unless you are able to somehow draft him ( that's not even mentioning Malkin, Kessel and solid solid goaltending).

LA while they had Kopitar, Quick was also all world. So maybe pinpoint that instead of arguing on threads of Schenn isn't a good enough center. I won't disagree Schenn isn't exactly all situations, he has a few mental deficiencies as well. If you think he was driven by two better players on his wing (sorry if that wasn't you who said so) you did not watch Tarasenko whatsoever this year. He wasn't good at his bread and butter which is shooting. Jaden Schwartz on the other hand is Jaden Schwartz, he's extremely effective in all situations just a bit injury prone. It was their chemistry that helped a lot.

Regardless, pinpointing Schenn as the issue is ludicrous, we have our issues... a 70 point center who works his tail off is not the issue.

I hate the notion of centers are the main piece you need for a Stanley Cup. Look at EDM it's a whole team effort and a lot has to do with your goalie standing on his head and the team playing competitively and consistently for the long haul. Those are also two issue we had this year, which shows why we are not in the playoffs... by 1 point.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
I never thought Toews was all that great. Solid 1C just not an elite level. That team was led a lot by Kane and a solid D core with a good ability to move the puck up quickly. The other winners of LA and PITT. Wel Pitt has Sidney Crosby, that's not exactly repeatable unless you are able to somehow draft him ( that's not even mentioning Malkin, Kessel and solid solid goaltending).

LA while they had Kopitar, Quick was also all world. So maybe pinpoint that instead of arguing on threads of Schenn isn't a good enough center. I won't disagree Schenn isn't exactly all situations, he has a few mental deficiencies as well. If you think he was driven by two better players on his wing (sorry if that wasn't you who said so) you did not watch Tarasenko whatsoever this year. He wasn't good at his bread and butter which is shooting. Jaden Schwartz on the other hand is Jaden Schwartz, he's extremely effective in all situations just a bit injury prone. It was their chemistry that helped a lot.

Regardless, pinpointing Schenn as the issue is ludicrous, we have our issues... a 70 point center who works his tail off is not the issue.

I hate the notion of centers are the main piece you need for a Stanley Cup. Look at EDM it's a whole team effort and a lot has to do with your goalie standing on his head and the team playing competitively and consistently for the long haul. Those are also two issue we had this year, which shows why we are not in the playoffs... by 1 point.

LOL hindsight is 20/20. where did i say he driven by better players. reading comprehension is hard i guess. yes, having a 1c is not the only prerequisite of winning the cup, but like i said earlier its one of the prerequisites and a pretty important one. I'm merely commenting on a blues fans saying they have a 1c already. no one is discrediting a schenn just stating that he is not a player that will lead the team to a cup as the 1c........................ get it?

Last edited:

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
LOL hindsight is 20/20. where did i say he driven by better players. reading comprehension is hard i guess. yes, having a 1c is not the only prerequisite of winning the cup, but like i said earlier its one of the prerequisites and a pretty important one. I'm merely commenting on a blues fans saying they have a 1c already. no one is discrediting a schenn just stating that he is not a player that will lead the team to a cup as the 1c........................ get it?

It wasn't you who said Schenn was driven by better players. But it was said in this thread. Here is one example:

SamSteelFan4Ever said:
He was shoehorned into the 1C role and couldn't do any of the things that role requires besides ride shotgun to two much better players. That's a big reason why the Blues are not playing hockey today.

This just fundamentally wasn't true for the Blues this year. Schenn was really solid as a center, and on most nights if there was a player coasting off of the work of his linemates it was Tarasenko, not Schenn. That gets lost in the highlights because he's not flashy, but Schenn and Schwartz were the driving forces on that line. Tarasenko has more raw skill and the elite shot, but the effort isn't always there. Schenn never took a shift off.

TK 421

Sep 12, 2007

The Blues are after another top 6 center and all signs point to that player being traded for at the draft. They are also firmly in the Tavares sweepstakes if he hits UFA and the traded for center is at 5 mil or less cap hit. So Schenn won't have to do it all alone and the team adds Robert Thomas this off-season as well at either 3C or 2RW. Brodziak is a likely re-sign as our 4C.

Trading for Kopitar isn't the best way for the Blues to try and fix center depth.

Reactions: Colt55

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011

Well it sure doesn't help when your grammar is bad.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
As of this very moment, there have only been 4 players to score 90 or more points and win the Selke in the same season (Troy Murray - 1986, Doug Gilmour - 1993, Sergei Fedorov - 1994 and 1996, Pavel Datsyuk - 2008 and 2009). Kopitar will probably be the 5th and in my opinion, he should become the 2nd player in NHL history to do accomplish this feat and win the MVP in the same season (Sergei Fedorov - 1994).

This is how good of a season Kopitar had, to put it in a historical perspective.

Now, think of what it should take to trade for a player of that magnitude.

This... And This!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->