Value of: Kopitar to St. Louis Blues

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Kopitar and Martinez for Parayko, Thomas, Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin, STL 1st ‘19

Kings fan suggests the Blues trade 4 of their most valuable trade assets including a potential #1 D and our two most promising forward prospects since Tarasenko in a single deal for one player they actually need. When the Blues fans say no they get criticized for being unrealistic. Sounds about right for HF.

No Blues fans think they're getting Kopitar in a trade. He's one of the best all-around players in the world. Even if in some universe it was plausible that the Kings would move him, it's not plausible to think the Blues are trading Parayko, Thomas, Kyrou, and a 1st in the same deal in a Cap world. Martinez is a nice player but his position is just about last on our list of needs right now. But please tell us more how we're unreasonable.

Reactions: Colt55

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Kings could reload in a real hurry by trading:

Kopitar and Martinez for Parayko, Thomas, Kyrou/Thompson/Kostin, STL 1st ‘19

Doughty for Liljegren, Korshkov, TML 1st ‘18, cond. 2nd ‘19 (1st if Leafs win the Cup)

Pearson-Carter-Toffoli
Kempe-Vilardi-Brown
Lewis-Iafallo-Rieder
Clifford-Thomas-Kyrou
Andreoff, Thompson

Muzzin-Parayko
Forbort-Phaneuf
Brickley-Liljegren
Fantenberg

Quick
Campbell

+ Korshkov, LAK 1st ‘18, TML 1st ‘18, LAK 1st ‘19, STL 1st ‘19

That is a stupid amount of young assets for a team rebuilding on the fly, and that roster could still be competitive next year if coached right.

STL says no to the first deal and the Kings say hell no to the 2nd deal.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Kings fan suggests the Blues trade 4 of their most valuable trade assets including a potential #1 D and our two most promising forward prospects since Tarasenko in a single deal for one player they actually need. When the Blues fans say no they get criticized for being unrealistic. Sounds about right for HF.

No Blues fans think they're getting Kopitar in a trade. He's one of the best all-around players in the world. Even if in some universe it was plausible that the Kings would move him, it's not plausible to think the Blues are trading Parayko, Thomas, Kyrou, and a 1st in the same deal in a Cap world. Martinez is a nice player but his position is just about last on our list of needs right now. But please tell us more how we're unreasonable.

I don’t think that poster is a King fan.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Seriously. I mean if the Kings ever said screw it let's deal Kopitar, a team will pay through the ass to get him. Lots of teams need and want a #1 center.
I don't think it's ever going to happen, but now is the time for it if it is ever going to happen.

Many would have considered Kopitar's contract as a huge obstacle to overcome in any trade after the 2016-17 season.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
I don’t think that poster is a King fan.

That's good news for Kings fans.

You mean beyond using part of your post to rail against trading mostly futures for Kopitar? TOTALLY reasonable. Never change, Blues fans.

It's not the idea of trading for Kopitar or the idea of trading futures for him that's unreasonable. I think it's highly unlikely that the Kings would trade him, but it could happen. Regardless, it's your specific proposal which makes no sense for the Blues for a variety of reasons.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I don't think it's ever going to happen, but now is the time for it if it is ever going to happen.

Many would have considered Kopitar's contract as a huge obstacle to overcome in any trade after the 2016-17 season.

Mostly people on sites like this one. If Kopitar was ever shopped there would be a line of GM’s looking to pick him up as top line centers are hard to come by and every GM in the league knows how good a guy like Kopitar is.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Regardless, it's your specific proposal which makes no sense for the Blues for a variety of reasons.

Yes, we know- the "variety of reasons" being those 5 or 6 St. Louis untouchables in a trade for a first line center (!).

Amazing to think that the best years the Blues ever had were actually their first three in the NHL. If their current management is as stingy as their fans are, no reason to think that changes any time soon.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
What would the Kings want for Carter? I’d guess it’d be Thompson+2018 1st+?

He may be older, but I think he’s a perfect fit for the Blues. They could use his experience/leadership, and they have a need for a top 6 RHS that can play C/RW.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
Yes, we know- the "variety of reasons" being those 5 or 6 St. Louis untouchables in a trade for a first line center (!).

Amazing to think that the best years the Blues ever had were actually their first three in the NHL. If their current management is as stingy as their fans are, no reason to think that changes any time soon.

Most Blues fans have Thomas and Kyrou penciled into the lineup next year in addition to adding another (less pie-in-the-sky) Top 6 center. Kyrou is seen as the #2 RW and Thomas as the #3C. Parayko is the team's #2 overall defenseman and gets huge usage. Your proposal moves all three of them and replaces one. It also effectively makes Robert Bortuzzo the #2 RHD, and it gives the team their 5th Top 4-capable LHD on the roster just for the hell of it.

It's not that Kopitar isn't worth a crazy return. It's that the move doesn't make sense for the Blues. Difficult concept to grasp, I know.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Most Blues fans have Thomas and Kyrou penciled into the lineup next year in addition to adding another (less pie-in-the-sky) Top 6 center. Kyrou is seen as the #2 RW and Thomas as the #3C. Parayko is the team's #2 overall defenseman and gets huge usage. Your proposal moves all three of them and replaces one. It also effectively makes Robert Bortuzzo the #2 RHD, and it gives the team their 5th Top 4-capable LHD on the roster just for the hell of it.

It's not that Kopitar isn't worth a crazy return. It's that the move doesn't make sense for the Blues. Difficult concept to grasp, I know.
the amount it would take to acquire kopitar or any superstar is unreasonable. difficult concept to grasp, i know.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Most Blues fans have Thomas and Kyrou penciled into the lineup next year in addition to adding another (less pie-in-the-sky) Top 6 center. Kyrou is seen as the #2 RW and Thomas as the #3C.

Yes, because what really hurt the Blues this year was not having a good young 3C. :facepalm:

Parayko is the team's #2 overall defenseman and gets huge usage.

What do you think Kopitar gets?

Your proposal moves all three of them and replaces one.

I know this sort of math hurts the heads of Blues fans, but yes, a trade for a 1C probably isn't going to be 1-for-1.

It also effectively makes Robert Bortuzzo the #2 RHD, and it gives the team their 5th Top 4-capable LHD on the roster just for the hell of it.

Martinez plays the right side, which you might know if your hockey diet didn't consist only of Blues games and then a bunch of OHL streams so you can fawn over your fave prospects.

Yes, it is difficult to grasp given how much a failure the Blues have been year in and year out. The team has one- ONE!- major hole to fill, and tons of assets at other positions to at least try. But nope, dem prospects.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Due to cap space, the Blues can’t afford to deplete their incoming ELC’s. Enough with the flaming on both sides guys, Blues fans know that Kopitar is worth a ransom. He’s simply not available anyways so it’s not worth the argument.

Back to the Carter talk ;)

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis

We have a number 1c his name is schenn, what part of that do you not understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
We have a number 1c his name is schenn, what part of that do you not understand.

Oh, I understand that. I also understand that trying to shoehorn a player like Schenn into that role is a big reason why St. Louis can't even make the playoffs.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Oh, I understand that. I also understand that trying to shoehorn a player like Schenn into that role is a big reason why St. Louis can't even make the playoffs.
Shoehorn. If you watch hockey you would know his natural position is center. He put up 70 points and was apart of one of the most dangerous lines in hockey till schwartz went down. He still performed very well. What part of that don't you seem to get.

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
Shoehorn. If you watch hockey you would know his natural position is center.

He's better as a winger. But sure, use him as a C- on your second line. He was shoehorned into the 1C role and couldn't do any of the things that role requires besides ride shotgun to two much better players. That's a big reason why the Blues are not playing hockey today.

He put up 70 points and was apart of one of the most dangerous lines in hockey till schwartz went down. He still performed very well. What part of that don't you seem to get.

If Blues fans want to believe he's a 1C, that's cool. They are only fooling themselves, and again not well as their lack of success this year has shown. But it is what it is and no other team really minds.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Can St.Louis afford Kopitar at
He's better as a winger. But sure, use him as a C- on your second line. He was shoehorned into the 1C role and couldn't do any of the things that role requires besides ride shotgun to two much better players. That's a big reason why the Blues are not playing hockey today.

If Blues fans want to believe he's a 1C, that's cool. They are only fooling themselves, and again not well as their lack of success this year has shown. But it is what it is and no other team really minds.
So rather than state a fact you state your opinion. Guess we should all just take your word for it bhurt steel

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

This simply isnt true. Are you just trying to troll colt55 or do you actually believe what you typed? Schenn was good at center.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
While Kopitar will make the Blues better next year, it guts any chance they have of filling out the rest of the team going forward. There will be better options available at the cost of only a few picks and prospects from a team standpoint (although not on the same impact level of Kopitar). A decent #2C or #3c with 2C upside in the right combo is really what the Blues need to compete. Getting Allen's head screwed on right will make more of a difference than anything else. The Blues still have to find a decent #2RW too as I don't think that many people think Kyrou is ready next year out of camp (Armstrong said probably only one prospect will make the team out of camp). Maybe Fabbri comes back to where he was, maybe he's lost his speed? There are just too many questions for the Blues to fill too many spots next year to make that big splash that Kopitar would provide. Blues management is really focusing on 2019-2020 as the year to be Cup competitive again. I wouldn't be shocked to see them miss the playoffs again if they have the amount of injuries that we had this year and they are forced to bring up players who weren't ready to come up this year (Thompson).

Plus, this is all a hypothetical question not closely based on reality. Why would the Kings even consider letting him go?

Reactions: stl76

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad