Kopitar/Carter vs Getzlaf/Kesler

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
they went head to head 3 years ago. the ducks duo was outplayed, particularly getzlaf by kopitar.

unless you really think much has changed since...it should be the Kings duo.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
If this was one year ago it would unanimously be the kings, just cause kopitar had a down year and Kessler had a great year doesn't change how much better the kings duo is.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
If this was one year ago it would unanimously be the kings, just cause kopitar had a down year and Kessler had a great year doesn't change how much better the kings duo is.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
they went head to head 3 years ago. the ducks duo was outplayed, particularly getzlaf by kopitar.

unless you really think much has changed since...it should be the Kings duo.

A lot has changed because Kesler didn't play for the Ducks in the 2014 playoffs. He was playing Golf.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
A lot has changed because Kesler didn't play for the Ducks in the 2014 playoffs. He was playing Golf.

Kopitar wrecked Getzlaf so badly in those playoffs that the Ducks went out and got Kesler. Bruce couldn't hide him deep enough that year. Kopitar was on the Malkin Conn Smythe scoring pace.

It's been much more of an Anaheim tilt since.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Kopitar wrecked Getzlaf so badly in those playoffs that the Ducks went out and got Kesler. Bruce couldn't hide him deep enough that year. Kopitar was on the Malkin Conn Smythe scoring pace.

Yeah, that tends to happen when idiot Boudreau puts Koivu getting 2C minutes at 40 years old. Also Kopitar had a lot more help from Doughty in that series than Getzlaf got from any of the young Anaheim defenders and aging Beauchemin. Getz was outplayed for sure but that was just disastrous coaching from Boudreau and a pretty meh roster compared to the current team.

It'd be fun to see these two teams go head to head in the playoffs with Kesler in the fold

TopShelfWaterBottle

Registered
Mar 16, 2014

Actually bob Murray was adamantly trying to pry kesler from van at the deadline but gillis didn't bite which got him fired eventually so you need to know what really happened before you throw out fake news

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Actually bob Murray was adamantly trying to pry kesler from van at the deadline but gillis didn't bite which got him fired eventually so you need to know what really happened before you throw out fake news

I dont think he's making it up. I've read this numerous times before. Seems like a well-known thing.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Yeah, that tends to happen when idiot Boudreau puts Koivu getting 2C minutes at 40 years old. Also Kopitar had a lot more help from Doughty in that series than Getzlaf got from any of the young Anaheim defenders and aging Beauchemin. Getz was outplayed for sure but that was just disastrous coaching from Boudreau and a pretty meh roster compared to the current team.

It'd be fun to see these two teams go head to head in the playoffs with Kesler in the fold

Do you want to compare their wingers?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012

How much better they are isn't much if any... guess it depends on how you look at it.

Id say

Getz >
Kopitar >
Carter >
Kesler

I think the differences are very minor... if I had to choose id take getzlaf/kesler... since the ducks have gotten kesler they have basically owned that matchup... its unfortunate that we likely wont see another ducks and kings playoff matchup during kopitar/getzlaf time.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Getz >= Kopitar > Carter > Kesler

I chose the kings duo, but its so close as the poll shows lol. I think the difference between Carter > Kesler is greater than any difference between Getzy and Kopitar

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Can't be unbiased here.

I'm just interested to see people say Getzlaf>Kopitar when if you say Getzlaf>Toews you'll have people jump down your throat for it. Cause I personally hold that Kopitar>Toews

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Oh man, I couldn't for the life of me remember who the 2C was in that series, was trying to remember who Carter was seeing before the move. Sheesh. But that series was obviously a good thing because you often have to travel deep in the playoffs to figure out what tinkering you need to do and Kesler was a genius move as a result even if he were considered before it.

How much better they are isn't much if any... guess it depends on how you look at it.

Id say

Getz >
Kopitar >
Carter >
Kesler

I think the differences are very minor... if I had to choose id take getzlaf/kesler... since the ducks have gotten kesler they have basically owned that matchup... its unfortunate that we likely wont see another ducks and kings playoff matchup during kopitar/getzlaf time.

I think the thing is Kesler may be the 'lesser' of those 4 players but he's still a nightmare matchup. It's sort of like for us how Kopitar has long been viewed 'inferior' talent-wise to his opposing center yet has completely dominated the matchup allowing a win. He doesn't score 90 points, but he scores more than the other guy and keeps him off the board. Like Kesler. There's massive value in that.

I'd also add like AngelDuck said above that the Anaheim D has helped a whole lot more with that matchup. It's not only Kesler, but having to face Kesler AND Silfverberg AND frigging Lindholm-Manson is probably the biggest eraser in the league. Yet that only supports the idea that even if he's the 'inferior' center in that company, he's got his role on lockdown. Just beat the other guy.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Can't be unbiased here.

I'm just interested to see people say Getzlaf>Kopitar when if you say Getzlaf>Toews you'll have people jump down your throat for it. Cause I personally hold that Kopitar>Toews

I think it was another thread but I told Sojourn something similar; a few years ago when Getzlaf had a bad year people were throwing dirt on his casket. Fast forward and now people are burying Kopitar. I think until he rebounds people will keep him underground because those bad years just 'confirmed' people's misguided opinions of them as centers outside the top-10 somehow.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

I don't see how you would consider that fake news if the playoffs confirmed something Murray thought was a concern before, that only strengthens the worry. But I did not recall that, so thank you.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
I think it was another thread but I told Sojourn something similar; a few years ago when Getzlaf had a bad year people were throwing dirt on his casket. Fast forward and now people are burying Kopitar. I think until he rebounds people will keep him underground because those bad years just 'confirmed' people's misguided opinions of them as centers outside the top-10 somehow.

I still feel dirty after defending Kopitar.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Oh man, I couldn't for the life of me remember who the 2C was in that series, was trying to remember who Carter was seeing before the move. Sheesh. But that series was obviously a good thing because you often have to travel deep in the playoffs to figure out what tinkering you need to do and Kesler was a genius move as a result even if he were considered before it.

I think the thing is Kesler may be the 'lesser' of those 4 players but he's still a nightmare matchup. It's sort of like for us how Kopitar has long been viewed 'inferior' talent-wise to his opposing center yet has completely dominated the matchup allowing a win. He doesn't score 90 points, but he scores more than the other guy and keeps him off the board. Like Kesler. There's massive value in that.

I'd also add like AngelDuck said above that the Anaheim D has helped a whole lot more with that matchup. It's not only Kesler, but having to face Kesler AND Silfverberg AND frigging Lindholm-Manson is probably the biggest eraser in the league. Yet that only supports the idea that even if he's the 'inferior' center in that company, he's got his role on lockdown. Just beat the other guy.

Id agree with that... kesler isn't as good as kopitar getzlaf and carter... but hes likely 1 of the players most people want to avoid going up against. That ducks/kings series in 14 would have been even more amazing if kesler was in it... our center depth was clearly out matched.. I think getzlaf had 8 points in 7 and I'm not sure koivu had any points... or bonino for that matter.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Can't be unbiased here.

My ranking has always been: Getzlaf >= Kopitar >= Toews

I just value the offensive game Getzlaf brings, and the physical dominance he displays a bit more highly. He's just shy of a PPG pace over 800+ games, and he's 3 points short of a PPG pace in 121 playoff games. Those are just terrific numbers, and that's even with him being underwhelming the season before last, and having a poor 2011-2012 season. It even considers his rookie and sophomore season, where he was well below his career pace. That's a pretty good testament to how good he has been.

As for Kopitar and Toews, I put Kopitar ahead of Toews in large part because Kopitar isn't just asked to lead Los Angeles defensively, but offensively too. Like Getzlaf in Anaheim, the Kings tend to go as Kopitar goes. He's their driving force. Toews doesn't need to lead Chicago offensively, and I'm not really convinced he could without loads of help. I've always felt the media focused on the wrong two-way forward, because Kopitar is Mr. Everything for Los Angeles. The only real edge I see in Toews is that he's a bit more consistent in the goal scoring department, and he's Canadian, which means he actually has an opportunity to compete for Gold Medals, World Cups, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->