Konroyd sucks

Crow

May 19, 2014
Foley was great when he was doing radio. Now he's too busy making all his shout outs for some anonymous doctor from Naperville rather than the play by play. I'm sure his family appreciates it ... but over 99.999999% viewers don't care! Foley needs to understand that the broadcast is NOT his personal platform. It's unprofessional. This is when Fiddy's country club analogy is appropriate.
Honestly some story he was telling yesterday during play drove me nuts for the first time ever. I was trying to watch the game play and he kept going on and on toward some corny punch line. I felt like someone who wanted attention while I was trying to watch the game was talking to me.

Last edited:

Crow

May 19, 2014
What bothered me most about konroyd in the past isn't his tendency to be vanilla but when things are going poorly he tends to dwell on and call out obvious mistakes. It's as if his insight into the game only goes so far as to point out people's faults.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
What bothered me most about konroyd in the past isn't his tendency to be vanilla but when things are going poorly he tends to dwell on and call out obvious mistakes. It's as if his insight into the game only goes so far as to point out people's faults.

Sounds like a forum I know.. oh wait.

And Foley is the voice of the Hawks, he's not going anywhere. Konroyd is bad, but do people honestly listen to casters? Selective hearing boys.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Kinda how I felt today. Didn't want to wake up, didn't want to go to work, and don't want to be sitting in my office like I am right now.

I think the cold, rainy, windy weather has everyone kinda down. The last two days was the first we've seen consecutive full days of rain since I dunno when. End of June maybe?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Foley was great when he was doing radio. Now he's too busy making all his shout outs for some anonymous doctor from Naperville rather than the play by play. I'm sure his family appreciates it ... but over 99.999999% viewers don't care! Foley needs to understand that the broadcast is NOT his personal platform. It's unprofessional. This is when Fiddy's country club analogy is appropriate.
I don't mind it being his personal platform if he completely shreds a guy who deserves it...like Karpotszev. It seems though his wt has lost it's edge and it delves more into shtick with Eddie-O.

He isn't the worst out there...but yeah, Weiderman has passed him at this point.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's just one of those days, when you don't want to wake up, everything is ****ed, everybody sucks.
ExcitableImprobableAmericankestrel-size_restricted.gif

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I won't say he 'sucks', but he's just. so. damn. boring.

I don't need Jon Gruden 'dis guy here' nonsense, but have some sort of personality. He's literally the human equivalent of pleated khaki pants. Or vanilla ice cream. Or builder's beige paint. Or Coldplay. Or the chicken dish at a restaurant.

All of the above are 'just meh' and the epitome of 'there's a better option'.

We should start a Steve Konroyd drinking game. You know like the ones people did for Friends where you had to do a shot everytime Jennifer Aniston came on screen and was, umm...cold - or whenever announcers reference deep dish pizza during a Chicago sports national broadcast.

For Konroyd, it would be when he says things like 'against' in full on Canadian - 'A - GAYN -ST'. But since it's Konroyd, it wouldn't be a shot of tequila or whiskey, it would be a shot of NyQuil.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Just thought of something. Ironically enough, I watched part of the classic 'Spaceballs' the other day. Remember the Jim J. Bullock character 'Prince Valium' who the princess was supposed to marry - the guy who was always yawning? That's Konroyd or what a Konroyd broadcast elicits.
023-Jim-J-Bullock-Prinz-Valium-Spaceballs.jpg

Reactions: LordKOTL

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I get what it is people don't like about Foley now because I had been listening but not watching the games, and he really does no play by play of a typical style for stretches of time, and with Konroyd it's just a silent dull call

I personally love Foley - and Doc Emmerich. Call me crazy, but I love the tone of their voices and the interest they bring. Cmon, who else can use the words 'shuffleboard, rifle and knife' as verbs.

But do you really need play by play? I don't. I can watch and I can see.

A new announcer I find annoying is Tony Romo, but I do REALLY enjoy the value he brings. He's a little goofy/giddy and has that 'new color guy' thing were he feels the need to he talking ALL the time, but what is uncanny is his ability to tell you EXACTLY what is going to happen in a play. He sees the way the teams are lined up and the game situation and he quickly says 'ooh, this is is going to be an off tackle draw here because you can see the....' and wouldn't you know it, he is SPOT on. I think I've watched 3 games he's announced and I'd say he's done that at least 10 times. Predicted the play to a T. It's uncanny.

I dig that because I feel I've learned something.

Reactions: Sir Loin

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
On a separate note, if you didn't get choked up the other night with the Foley/Edzo conversation during intermission, you aren't human.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I really miss Eddie. It's something completely different. Guy knows hockey and can explain. If you look at some other "experts" it just seems so weird. Konroyd is one of those guys I just shake my head sometimes.

Reactions: Sir Loin

Sir Loin

Apr 19, 2014
Chicago
You all might wanna check further on this, I can't right now, but supposedly he's returning to the booth for the Blues game.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Eddie has better analysis but I'd rather have Konroyd over him. My number one requirement for a booth guy is "dont' f***ing annoy me". Konroyd may be stupid at times but he doesn't have a grating voice nor trots out that tree tirty tree bullshit 3 times a game. I can drown out Konroyd when I want to but Eddie is just too annoying to ignore. Eddie is the reason I started watching opposing team's feeds in the first place.

I hope he recovers from cancer but I want him as far away from the booth as possible.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I think the turd fetish is all Foley. Granted Eddie's shtick is just as bad--especially his fascination with soft serve and happy humans.

Personally, I think they just need to promote Weiderman and Murray.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->