Komisarek versus Every Other Defenceman...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Beukeboom Fan said:
Oh, here it comes - the Matyred Habs poster.

No kidding :help:

Beukeboom Fan said:
am I the only one that thinks that the mental aspect of the game is about 5x more important than just having the physical skills?

Absolutely not :), however in db23's case, you can't measure hockey smarts through minor league stats....Thus, its an unimportant part of the equation when evaluating players and their future.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
nomorekids said:
it should be noted that Hamhuis is being groomed less for his offensive game and more for his DEFENSIVE game, so he's likely not going to put up HUGE numbers.

So he is focusing on defense and yet has still put up great numbers his 1st year EVEN with 1 way offensive guys like Timmonen and Zdlicky playing all the PP time and used for offense above Hammy. Wow, if the Flames could get a defenseman who is focusing to be a solid D guy first and get 25 points. Im all over that!

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Patrick - Flames Fan said:
So he is focusing on defense and yet has still put up great numbers his 1st year EVEN with 1 way offensive guys like Timmonen and Zdlicky playing all the PP time and used for offense above Hammy. Wow, if the Flames could get a defenseman who is focusing to be a solid D guy first and get 25 points. Im all over that!

Which is why Nashville fans are so excited, and Suter is supposed to be a little bigger, meaner, faster version of Hamhuis.

I would take a little issue with Kimmo being labeled one way talent though, he's really good in his own in positionally, he's just not big.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
This was a good thread when it was about a Komisarek and Hamhuis debate, then it turned into Markov vs. Eaton, which is a joke IMO, nothing against Eaton, he improved alot, and according to the posters and his stats greatly improved his defensive game and put aside his offensive game, I remember him when he was with Philly and when he started out with Nashville, he was horrible defensively, but credit to him, he's greatly improved and probably saved his job in the NHL, but comparing him to Markov is unfair to Markov...he's been doing it for 2 or 3 years and he was always better than Eaton offensively and defensively he's been the Habs most consistent d-man over the last few years, and not to mention that Markov hasn't even hit his ceiling in terms of potential, I'm not discrediting Eaton at all, but I think most would agree that Markov is the better player in every facet of the game...Now I know there are many posters who don't take the time to read others posts and just jump all over them, so I want to reinterate that I think that Mark Eaton has made great strides in his game last year and has become a servicable defensman for the Preds'...

As for the Komisarek vs. Hamhuis debate...both are solid young players, who should be the cornerstones of their respective franchises for years to come, no need to discredit either of them, as first of all, they play a different game...only difference is Hamhuis was able to prove his worth all season long and to his credit he seized his opportunity, but at the same time, he was allowed to make mistakes and didn't get his icetime reduced at every error he made (unlike Komisarek and Hainsey)...as for Hainsey, I didin't think he was playing that bad when he was up at the beginning of the year, he was playing with Brisebois, which never helps, but he was sent down because of his attitude more than anything IMO, he's still got alot of maturing to do...Komisarek when he was recalled, was in and out of the lineup and never received a consistent amount of icetime, and he struggled, but towards the end of the season and in the playoffs, his play definately warranted top 4 icetime with the Habs, and he played very well, he still made mistakes, but the coaching staff seemed to be more lenient with him and let him learn from his mistakes, kind of like Hamhuis did this season, and that's when Komisarek performed his best...

So as you can see, it's hard to compare two rookies, when one is allowed to learn from his mistakes and the other is not...I'm a big Hamhuis fan and i'm also a big Komisarek fan, and I think both will become stars as different types of players...

db23

If 30 GMs around the league had a choice between Komisarek and some of the other names mentioned, I bet about 28 of them would choose Mike. There isn't anyone else out there with the all round package he brings. Including his personality and durability.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
db23 said:
If 30 GMs around the league had a choice between Komisarek and some of the other names mentioned, I bet about 28 of them would choose Mike. There isn't anyone else out there with the all round package he brings. Including his personality and durability.

Most of the names other than Hamhuis, right :D

Sammy*

db23 said:
Not a chance.
Besides which , I can gaurantee you that if there was to an NHL game to be played tommorrow & the NHL GM's got to pick who would play, all 30 NHL GM's would take Leopold or Hamhuis over Komi.

Last edited by a moderator:

SOS

Jan 27, 2004
Vancouver BC
Komisarek vs Every Other Defenseman

Every Other Defenseman win.

7 to 1.

Komisarek creditted for goal after Brent Sopel puts it in his own net past goalie Tommy Albelin.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Why argue with a homer like db23? There is no point. He will never change his point of view.

And FYI, I define a homer not as someone who supports his home based team and players, but one who extremely supports his home based team to the extent where they fail to be objective.

Roke

Jul 21, 2003
Winnipeg
neogeo69 said:
Why argue with a homer like db23? There is no point. He will never change his point of view.

And FYI, I define a homer not as someone who supports his home based team and players, but one who extremely supports his home based team to the extent where they fail to be objective.

Take a look at the Habs forum sometime, in a couple of topics it's basically db23's oppinions and "arguments" (aka stats) against everyone else...

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
417 TO MTL said:
This was a good thread when it was about a Komisarek and Hamhuis debate, then it turned into Markov vs. Eaton, which is a joke IMO, nothing against Eaton, he improved alot, and according to the posters and his stats greatly improved his defensive game and put aside his offensive game, I remember him when he was with Philly and when he started out with Nashville, he was horrible defensively, but credit to him, he's greatly improved and probably saved his job in the NHL, but comparing him to Markov is unfair to Markov...he's been doing it for 2 or 3 years and he was always better than Eaton offensively and defensively he's been the Habs most consistent d-man over the last few years, and not to mention that Markov hasn't even hit his ceiling in terms of potential, I'm not discrediting Eaton at all, but I think most would agree that Markov is the better player in every facet of the game...Now I know there are many posters who don't take the time to read others posts and just jump all over them, so I want to reinterate that I think that Mark Eaton has made great strides in his game last year and has become a servicable defensman for the Preds'...

I understand the gist of what your saying, and I agree with the idea your trying to make (obviously we cheer for opposite teams and each have our own small built in bias). However, Eaton last year was defensively on par with a true no. 2 defensemen. Defensively, I would say he was better than Markov last year, and I do not think it is a stretch to make that claim. Still, I'm not saying that Markov is worse than Eaton, or vice versa. Markov clearly played an offensive game that Eaton did not last year, despite it being a strength for him as well. Each have plusses, each have minuses. Markov has more potential and years to work with than Mark does at this point, and he has played at a higher level for much longer.....that is undebatable. One fan would like to say, though, that Mark Eaton was much more than a servicable defensemen for the Preds last year....He was our rock and defensive defensemen that we relied upon to shut down opposing forwards night in and night out. Without him, we would not have made the playoffs. Whether or not he can keep up his level of play has yet to be seen (I can understand witholding complete judgement on a player....I'm on the fence right now with Kipprusoff as well), but at the same time, lets not undermine his accomplishments and success from last year.

For the record, I'm not claiming you were implying he was awful, etc.....I'm just using your post to jump start mine.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Enoch said:
I understand the gist of what your saying, and I agree with the idea your trying to make (obviously we cheer for opposite teams and each have our own small built in bias). However, Eaton last year was defensively on par with a true no. 2 defensemen. Defensively, I would say he was better than Markov last year, and I do not think it is a stretch to make that claim. Still, I'm not saying that Markov is worse than Eaton, or vice versa. Markov clearly played an offensive game that Eaton did not last year, despite it being a strength for him as well. Each have plusses, each have minuses. Markov has more potential and years to work with than Mark does at this point, and he has played at a higher level for much longer.....that is undebatable. One fan would like to say, though, that Mark Eaton was much more than a servicable defensemen for the Preds last year....He was our rock and defensive defensemen that we relied upon to shut down opposing forwards night in and night out. Without him, we would not have made the playoffs. Whether or not he can keep up his level of play has yet to be seen (I can understand witholding complete judgement on a player....I'm on the fence right now with Kipprusoff as well), but at the same time, lets not undermine his accomplishments and success from last year.

For the record, I'm not claiming you were implying he was awful, etc.....I'm just using your post to jump start mine.

Thanks for the civil post...I can understand where your coming from, I mean, you get to see Eaton play alot more than I do, and vice versa...but I will give Eaton credit though, he ended up a + 16 and he put on alot of weight, I really had no idea about how good a season he had, as I previously put him in the same class of defensman as say a...Andy Delmore...but I take that back now...nevertheless, i've mentionned several times on these boards that I think that Markov is a special talent and he displays hockey sense that i've seen few have, and i've watched alot of hockey...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad