Komisarek or Morrisonn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Marshall said:
Ah, everyone who doesn't agree with you is an idiot. Cleary the reputation of a select few fans is well-earned. This is a perfect case in point.

(I must emphasize a *few* posters. Most, in my experience, are knowledgeable and fair)
Ah come'on, is this the only thing you can do, generalizing? So, from what I red from you in this thread, you would take Morrisonn over Komisarek?

db23

EroCaps said:
They traded him for Sergei Gonchar, dip.
NO, they traded him ALONG WITH A 1st and A 2nd ROUND DRAFT PICK. For 25 or 30 games from Sergei Gonchar.

DIP!
:shakehead

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
db23 said:
If they thought he was going to be something special, they obviously wouldn't have traded him at the age of 21.

I never said he was anything special, all I was posting was that you must've not seen him play in boston prior to his trade to the Caps...so I dont know what you're getting at

by the way I would take Komo over Morrisonn, this isnt me making a case for Morrisonn being the better prospect b/c to me, he's clearly a step below

Corey

Time will show that the negative comments about Mike Komisarek are out of date. He didn't burst upon the scene but his play in the 2004 playoffs show that he is just coming into his own and should have an outstanding season in the AHL. I expect to see him voted an AHL first team all-star. Morrissonn has accomplished nothing to date, and comparisons with Carlo Coca Cola are ludicrous, the delusions of typical Leafs fans.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
db23 said:
What is so terrible about being a "homer"? You guys make it sound like it is some sort of horrible disease or something. A hockey fan who has no particular attatchment to any one team is an odd duck to say the least.

If you can't show a little bit of circumspection, why would there be any value in what you say?

db23

Captain Conservative said:
If you can't show a little bit of circumspection, why would there be any value in what you say?
I think I have shown circumspection. I've had furious debates on the Montreal board for questioning other Hab prospects. But I don't have any doubts about Komisarek. It will just take him a litttle longer to put it all together becuses of his size and his background. He is still at the developmental level of teenagers like Dion Phaneuf and Ryan Suter.

Patty Roy

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
Komisarek has yet to show any level of offensive skill in the pros...

39 points in his first 74 AHL regular season games is not "showing you any level of offensive skill in the pros"?

Look, nobody is coming out and saying that Komisarek is going to be some kind of offensive dynamo, but there is no question that this kid has some serious untapped potential.

While his decision making at times can be on the poor side, this is a very coachable kid who is more than willing to learn and improve his game. Given time, i think that Komisarek is going to put up some numbers at the NHL level.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
db23 said:
[......... Komisarek has yet to show any level of offensive skill in the pros, ....

That is not true. Komisarek was the top scoring rookie defenceman in the AHL as a 20 year old. He was also one of the top scoring defencemen in the league before he was called up 2/3 of the way through the season. He was socirng at twice the rate of Dan Hamhuis who was the other high profile 20 year old rook in the league at the time. Mike also outscored his defence partner Marc Andre Bergeron by quite a wide margin before he was called up to the Habs. Bergeron is a couple years older and had previous AHL experience as well. Both Bergeron and Hamhuis are regarded as skilled "offensive" defencemen. In the same league, against the same competition, at the same time, Komisarek was significantly more productive.

You are quite correct, Komisarek did actually score a decent amount of points. However, I was in particular looking at his goal totals.

Only 8 goals in two pro seasons mixed between the AHL and NHL + two playoff years. All of those goals came in the AHL.

In total, it's 8 (1 in the AHL playoffs) goals in 171 games (141 regular season games + 30 post-season games).

In 67 NHL regular season games + 7 post-season games, Komisarek has yet to tally a goal.

I find that more than a bit troubling for his offensive upside.

However, you are correct in that his first AHL season wasn't that bad, and I should have extrapolated more to explain my point. Oh well, I did here. ;)

db23

Mike has a wicked wrist shot and will score some goals in the NHL. If he has a problem it is probably what Garry Hart once said about him - "Mike is too unselfish. I'd like to see him think more about himself sometimes and go to the net with the puck. But he is the consumate team player." Komisarek has said that he doesn't want to be just an average NHL player and I beleive he will find the way to be exceptional. For his size and "style", he periodically does some amazing things with the puck. He can laser a pass from blueline to blueline or do a J.C. Trembley style flip pass from his own zone that lands in front of a streaking forward.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Kasparov said:
Whats funny is some people are saying some hab fans are such homers yet noone has actually voted for Morrisonn over Komisarek... :help:

There's a difference. Some of the homers think the gap is wider than the whole in Michael Strahan's teeth (for you none Football fans, think wide).

Others think that the immediate potential is similar. With Komisarek having a better defensive game. Both should be good defenders, and are both quality prospects.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Chimaera said:
I'm not missing the boat at all.

I'm right on it. I called people out. I did what you said.

Heck, I called them out in the thread in regards to certain peoples post.

I didn't say, yes, all Habs fans are bad and make baseless conclusions. I tried to at least be objective and point out that some are. What's wrong with that. Get off your high horse. There are fans like that in the Habs ranks, even on this board. We shouldn't have to defend our position that some people's opinion of Komisarek is down right nuts and biased, just as you dont' have to try and carry the banner of "educated" Habs posters.

Well you got part of it right, I asked for people to call out individual posters and lump fans by one team, and you did that, bravo to you, hopefully more will follow your lead. But my other point is that the problem it creates is that putting labels on fans of a certain team can prevent good posters who know what the hell they are talking, from posting, cause no matter what they say, it will be discounted based on the label applied to their fan base.

As for the "high horse" comments, I'll be on it for a while. I am on these boards everyday and have been for years (back when you could leave messages to the articles on the main page, boy was that some funny reading) Sorry but I'm sick of seeing good posters leave based off a few jerks (not you personally, as I don't know you from adam) So being on my high horse, and the fact that no hockey likely has pushed me over the edge, I thought I would try and put an end to posters lumping fans together by a certain label instead of the individual, and not just for Hab fans but all teams. This of course won't happen, but I guess I had to try.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
and slow learning curve

Slow learning cureve! :lol: That's a good one. He started playing hockey at 12 and he was draft 7th overall 7 years latter. He sign with the Habs after the draft and he was already in the pro. Since the draft, he is always improving and in the last playoff, he was a beast...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For the record, I'm a big fan of Komisarek's game, I am concerned about his mental errors, positioning and if his offensive game will develop at the NHL level. For any NCAA fans that got to see him at Michigan, they saw an impressive offensive game, as he often used a low wrist shot from the point that often was on net and it's hard. His wind up on his slapper is slow, thus he often doesn't use it, although he does have a cannon not far behind Souray's shot, who for years couldn't hit the broad side of a barn (guess missing all those games, he must have worked on his accuracy)

I do think Komisarek showed a much improved game in the playoffs, but there were times in the season he really struggled. Still if you look at his game at Michigan, for Team USA, Hamilton and with the Canadiens, he has shown good progession in his development, and he still has a ways to go. Who knows if he will continue to progress or peak. I personally think he will continue to get much better, although I don't see him being some great All Star, I do think he could be a top pairing defensemen, perhaps playing a style like Souray with better speed and hopefully minus the injures.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
To start this post off, I don't want folks to think I'm anti-Montreal Canadiens. If you read many of my posts, I always support the Habs, and am a big fan of several of their young prospects & players (Alexander Perezhogin, Kyle Chipchura, and Andrei Markov come to mind).

However, I personally would rather have Shaonne Morrisonn over Mike Komisarek.

Crazy? Perhaps, but it has more to do with the fact that I don't think much of Komisarek than Morrisonn being something special.

Morrisonn has the skill to be considered a potential second pairing guy, more like a #3-sort of defenseman. A very respectable two-way game with good decision making and overall puck skills. I won't harp on this too much.

In regards to Komisarek, I said once on the Habs board that I felt Komisarek reminded me a lot of a quicker, but less physical version of Luke Richardson, and I hold by that comparison. Komisarek has yet to show any level of offensive skill in the pros, and I'm quite certain he isn't going to start showing it anytime soon. But then why did he show so much offensive gumption in the NCAA compared to the NHL? In Komisarek's case, while he started playing hockey late, I feel he simply peaked early. If you check out how he shoots, he's got a real slow windup, but a heck of a shot. This is indicitive of many unsuccessful offensive players in the pros who did well in the NCAA or the CHL.

His decision making, to put is nicely, is terrible. The kid just can't seem to learn from his mistakes. Many other young players that have gone similar routes have much smarter games out there, and this is something that I just can't see him shaking. It has something to do with his coordination, which doesn't seem natural.

What Komisarek does have is size, and that'll be enough to make him a bottom pairing defenseman in the NHL for years. However, his poor decision-making, lack of offensive upside, and slow learning curve will keep him from being a top 3 defenseman. He might eek his way into the #4 role on the Habs in a couple years, but it will be more due to the fact that the Habs don't have a particularly deep group back there.

I've heard your sentiments about Komisarek a few times but I still disagree with your assessment of him. He may never be a big goal scoring defenseman but as others have pointed out, he has shown offensive prowess in terms of points at every level so far except the NHL and I have pointed out the reasons that I believe he has much more developing to do. I don't think he is anywhere NEAR his peak. To me it would be a tremendous fluke if he has already peaked because of his late introduction to the game and because of his path he has taken to the NHL as well as the fact he has a large frame that will cause him to take longer to adjust to the NHL pace. I also do not believe that looking at a player's slap shot is indicative of his potential to be a success at the NHL level. That's especially true in this case because Komisarek tends to prefer a quick wrister to the slap shot. You haven't even mentioned his passing abilities which are quite good.

As for his defensive abilities, I beg to differ. I think he is improving, his ability to learn the game and make the transition to the next level has always been one of his strengths. Also, I don't see it as a matter of coordination but simply defensive awareness and simple mental mistakes. These things will improve with experience. Many young defenseman have these same growing pains, not everyone comes into the league playing like a veteran, thus the term "rookie mistakes". I believe Komisarek is improving and will continue to improve in this department. I think that unless you are simply trying to "dare to be different" then it is clear that Komisarek has a much higher ceiling than you are stating here Jay.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
It's hard to judge each player on their NHL experience, good or bad. Because neither has played big minutes for an extended period of time, so neither has had a chance to prove themselves at the NHL level. Plus both guys are pretty young and being an NHL defensemen isn't exactly a position that you can just jump into and dominate. It takes time to learn how and when to do times.

They both could very well have great NHL futures ahead of them but I am pretty pleased with having Komi on our team and I wouldn't trade him straight up for Morrisonn if the chance presenting itself.

It will be interesting though to see where they both are in a couple of years. I can't see either being a clear cut #1 defenseman, not like #2's.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
AJ1982,

I suppose it's a difference of opinion. However, if you look back at some of the criticisms to Komisarek's game at his draft year, all are still applicable today. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't show great progress next year either, and expectations lower and lower until folks just realize him for what he is - a serviceable depth defenseman with some great size.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Would Montreal have traded Komo, a 1st and a 2nd to Wash for Gonchar?

Vic Rattlehead*

Habs4Life said:
No way.. Maybe him and a 3rd round pick..
Washington wanted a lot, so it would have been Komisarek plus a first round, then a third, fourth, or fifth.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Jay Thompson said:
AJ1982,

I suppose it's a difference of opinion. However, if you look back at some of the criticisms to Komisarek's game at his draft year, all are still applicable today. I'd be willing to bet he doesn't show great progress next year either, and expectations lower and lower until folks just realize him for what he is - a serviceable depth defenseman with some great size.

That's the case with most if not all young defensemen though. There's a steep learning curve to playing defense at the NHL level, and VERY FEW are adept at playing the position right away. That being said, Komisarek has shown progress in all facets of his game, and is very coachable. so it stands to reason things will only get better for him.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Jay Thompson said:
AJ1982,

Komisarek, is still raw, but he does have all the assets to be a dominant defenseman in this league, I would also agree with a previous poster who said he saw him 2-3 times and he wasnt good at all, i've seen that Komisarek too for periods of 2-3 weeks wich doesnt mean is or will be the Komisarek.

Now, here is what i think about him:

- offensive potential: above average
- seen him deke and make coast to coast rushes
- powerful shot, doesnt use it enough

- obviouly physical presence is there.
- no denial on this, it pretty obvious, still learning the NHL positional game

- work ethic is great just need more confidence.
- he's dedicated to improve on what management is expecting, first he want to learn defensive play, after he will go with offensive. its pretty clear and you will never see him try to make too much plays.. and when he does he does make some plays, i would even say is offensive game is more natural then his defensive game.

db23

Biggest problem for Mike is confidence. A lot of young players, especially in Montreal, get overcoached. They end up spending their time thinking about "not making a mistake" all the time and lose all of the natural flow to their game. Hopefully with Bob Gainey and Doug Jarvis moving in, things will get a little smarter.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
That's the case with most if not all young defensemen though. There's a steep learning curve to playing defense at the NHL level, and VERY FEW are adept at playing the position right away. That being said, Komisarek has shown progress in all facets of his game, and is very coachable. so it stands to reason things will only get better for him.

See, this is where I disagree. All facets? Sorry, but I saw him take a step backwards this past season. He showed little jump on his skates, tentative to join the rush (not a terrible thing, common for young defenseman, but it is worrisome in that he's supposed to have offensive upside, or so the Habs hope), a slow, mistake-prone decision-making process, and his overall puck skills leave a lot to be desired, except for the fact he has a nice shot when he gets it off.

I am reminded a lot of Vitali Vishnevsky when I look at Mike. Vitali was supposed to be so skilled when he came to the NHL, but over time it just looked more and more like he didn't have much more than he showed when he first arrived in North America.

That said, I could be wrong - I have been before. Before this season, I thoght Scott Hannan had topped out as a #3/4 defenseman, and boy do I look wrong now. While I like to think I do have a pretty good mark on watching youngsters, I'm hardly flawless. Komisarek might play really well next year (I'm guessing he'll play in the American league?), and come into the NHL like a house on fire. However, just saying from what I see, I don't really see that happening (in the NHL at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->