Kocur vs Brashear: All 3 rounds

drtheglob

May 14, 2016
Last edited:

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
If they fought in their primes, I think Brashear would win more, just by tying Kocur up and frustrating him with his style. As you can see in the videos, he hadn't yet perfected his infamous bearhug. When he did, his strength was incredible and it was a difficult maneuver for opponents to overcome.

A power puncher Brashear would have struggled with is a guy like Twist. In his prime steroid years, Twist was very strong. Would be difficult to bearhug and rabbit punch.

drtheglob

May 14, 2016
If they fought in their primes, I think Brashear would win more, just by tying Kocur up and frustrating him with his style. As you can see in the videos, he hadn't yet perfected his infamous bearhug. When he did, his strength was incredible and it was a difficult maneuver for opponents to overcome.

A power puncher Brashear would have struggled with is a guy like Twist. In his prime steroid years, Twist was very strong. Would be difficult to bearhug and rabbit punch.
However, in round 3 Kocur showed that even a prime Brashear could not easily outmuscle him.

And I agree about Twist. He would have been a tough fight for Brashear, no doubt.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Kocur showed in the third fight that Brashears hugging didn't matter much. He still got off a bomb and Brash wants no part of taking one.

Id a take prime Kocur over prime Twist anyday.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Kocur showed in the third fight that Brashears hugging didn't matter much. He still got off a bomb and Brash wants no part of taking one.

Id a take prime Kocur over prime Twist anyday.

So would I. But I'd take a prime Twist against Brashear, over Kocur's chances. Just trying to point out the difference between matchups and styles.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Clearly, Kocur is coming out of his jersey in fight 3.
That's a pretty fool proof way of countering the bearhug.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I think that could be an interesting match up because as you say Twist is so strong too.

But, I think what made Brashear so effective with his bearhug technique was his balance. He could maintain his balance better than a lot of bigger guys while he pulled his opponent off balance.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
So would I. But I'd take a prime Twist against Brashear, over Kocur's chances. Just trying to point out the difference between matchups and styles.

Only because in Twist's case, prime equals massive steroids.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Only because in Twist's case, prime equals massive steroids.

True, but other fighters have taken steroids and/or other drugs before to give them a boost. Twist certainly bulked up as a fighter, but he always threw hard.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Check out Frank the Animals three fights with Donald. Frank had to force Donald to fight him each time. Frank came away with two clear wins and one fight even.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Kocur was coming out of his jersey in Rd 3, or Brashear has his way with him in that one. Brashear has to try and hold on to his t-shirt, or Kocur will have free reign to throw bombs.

Before the tie down rule, by all means do that to give yourself an advantage (although I think it's a BS move). After the tie down rule came into effect, it is most definitely a BS move. When you're a toughguy, and know you'll be fighting an elite toughguy, and you purposely don't tie down...

Kocur is a great. But, in round 3, that was chcken5hit in my books. Don't fight him if you feel it's an unfair fight (ie he's in his prime, and you;re hanging on to your career at that point).

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Check out Frank the Animals three fights with Donald. Frank had to force Donald to fight him each time. Frank came away with two clear wins and one fight even.

Those fights were in the '93 and '94 season: well before Brashear was an exceptional fighter. As a matter of fact, Brashear was a marginal tough guy at the time...
One of those fights was still in Brashear's favor.

Frank was more in the league of a guy like Rocky Thompson.

Many an AHL fighter has gotten way overrated over the years. The Animal is yet another example of a guy that was legit in the AHL, but would have had to get much better to hang with the elite NHL guys over the long haul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad