knotting calves

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Occasionally if I skate really hard out initially, my calves start knotting up in the third period, unfortunately making me play way below my best then :)

Do you think this is more to do with fitness (i rate myself average fitness :) ), the way I skate (perhaps not using thigh muscles much), or not enough stretching ( I do just a basic stretch, nothing over the top)?

I'm inclined to believe its the way i skate - that my thigh muscles are lazy :sarcasm: Prob a common thing??

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Occasionally if I skate really hard out initially, my calves start knotting up in the third period, unfortunately making me play way below my best then :)

Do you think this is more to do with fitness (i rate myself average fitness :) ), the way I skate (perhaps not using thigh muscles much), or not enough stretching ( I do just a basic stretch, nothing over the top)?

I'm inclined to believe its the way i skate - that my thigh muscles are lazy :sarcasm: Prob a common thing??

Your quads should be doing most of the work when you skate, so probably it's your skating technique. Look for a powerskating video or something on the net and they'll show you the proper technique. Makes a big difference in your speed.

Personally I don't even work out my calves because they're a ***** to do (well it's an easy exercise, I just hate it) and I hardly even use them when I skate. As far as I know the most important skating muscles are your quads, your glutes and your ankles. I guess you could make an argument for your core muscles too. I concentrate more on my quads and glutes (squats) because after a hard game my quads are usually shot and sometimes my ass hurts too :biglaugh:. Squats aren't mainly for the glutes but they do them, I think deadlifts are supposed to be better though. That's why they always say that hockey players have the best butts out of all sports players ;).

Last edited:

BuddehJuS

Nov 25, 2006
Calves knotting up sounds like he's getting charlie horses to me, which is most most likely dehydration.

Good point. Maybe spend some extra time stretching out your legs. If I don't properly stretch, I get hardcore lower back knots.

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
I drink like crazy when I play. After every shift I usually take a drink a few drinks. I usually go through like 30 oz of water/gatorade.
Phoenix, how much do you normally drink during games?

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Uh...usually just 1 bottle of water (about 750ml) - sometimes I want more but usually closer to the end and I don't think it affects me that much. The bottle looks comparable to others. Also don't like to overfill myself, skating around with a gut full of water isn't comfortable. :)

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Well, then it's definitely not dehydration. I'd say try a few of the following things.

1. Stretch, this is the easiest to do so try this first. Just do a few stretches in the locker room before you go on the ice. Should losen your calves a bit. Then when you get on the ice and warm up, try to stretch them more since your muscles respond better to stretching when they're warm and loose.

2. Look at your skating technique. As I said above you should be using your quads more than your calves. You use your calves a lot when you run, so you may be skating like you would normally run.

3. If the top two things still don't work, try strengthening your calves. It's the only other thing I can think of.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
Drinking water during the game is too late. Drink water or sports drinks an hour before you play and in general if you drink more everyday and stay consistant with it the cramps shouldn't be an issue. Stretching is also never a bad thing to do. I used to get bad cramps after games and this helped me out a lot. I don't remember the last time I had them.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
Also try having a banana before the game. Lack of potassium could cause cramping in a big way.

That was my second thought after dehydration. Include some extra potassium into your system and it should help a lot. If it doesn't help you might need to work on strengthening and endurance for your calf muscles.

But basically the only thing that really uses your calf muscles in a skating stride is the toe flick and I seriously doubt that you're toe flick is soo extreme and you calves are soo weak that you're knotting up because of that. My guess; potassium will solve your problem.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Also try having a banana before the game. Lack of potassium could cause cramping in a big way.

Drinking water during the game is too late. Drink water or sports drinks an hour before you play and in general if you drink more everyday and stay consistant with it the cramps shouldn't be an issue. Stretching is also never a bad thing to do. I used to get bad cramps after games and this helped me out a lot. I don't remember the last time I had them.

Great points.

I've always read that if you get thirsty, you're already dehydrated.

Days I play, I start drinking extra water that morning, I drink a sports drink on the way to the rink as well and sip on water during the game.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com
Sounds more like a diet issue to me, also

A pretty wierd solution in hte short term, until you get to the root of the problem, keep a couple of the small condiment packs of the normal every day ellow mustard. Take one(about a teaspoon or 2) before the session. Its said to stave off or eliminate active muscle cramping.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
Diet huh...don't suppose me eating dinner about 2 hours beforehand has anything to do with anything?!

I'm trying to use my quads and hammies more when skating. I do think they're lazy. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->