Post-Game Talk: Knights beat Canucks 9-4. Thanks Vancouver.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Is he under an NHL contract or just an AHL contract?

Unless something changed either late last night or early this morning he's on an AHL contract (Chicago). He'd have to sign an entry-level contract with Vegas in order to be called up to the biglies.

Technically because he's only on an AHL deal another organization could sign him as a free agent but they normally don't poach like that.

Vegas may be waiting to see what he can do in the early stages of the upcoming AHL season before signing him to an NHL deal.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
That's a valid point- so, how would you explain his being a free agent? Pardon my ignorance, but the last impact short guy I remember was Theo Fleury.

There were primarily two knocks against him.

He's smaller, even by a lot of small player standards. While the league is very much open to skill guys, it's still a grind. Generally speaking, teams still like to see some size, even in skilled players.

For all his production, he's not necessarily seen as a "tools" kind of prospect. He's a damn hard worker, but he's not necessarily the smaller, high-skilled type. Add to the fact that he was a little bit of a late bloomer, and you have teams that have some questions.

With that said, I think he's exactly the type of player you invite to camp though and Vegas is probably an ideal spot for him to land and try to clear a path for himself.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
What are the chances Glass makes the team? Even for a 9 game stint?

I think Glass has a legit shot to stick, even beyond a nine game trial.

He plays an intelligent, pro-style game and he was arguably one of the top NHL-ready players available in the draft.

While I wouldn't expect him to be an offensive dynamo, I think he has the maturity to handle himself well.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
That's a valid point- so, how would you explain his being a free agent?

I wonder if it has something to do with numbers. I was curious why the Leafs, for example, didn't sign him at the end of last season when he was with the Marlies on a tryout. Looking at the projected roster for the Marlies this season it looks like they have 8-9 guys already who can play right wing.

Wong's only chance may have been a new organization like the Knights.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I'm still waiting for the replay to show up to watch. Sundays are never good for me.

I wanted to thank everyone for keeping the thread updated with what was happening in the game as well as your insights. Looks like I missed a hell of a game.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wonder if it has something to do with numbers. I was curious why the Leafs, for example, didn't sign him at the end of last season when he was with the Marlies on a tryout. Looking at the projected roster for the Marlies this season it looks like they have 8-9 guys already who can play right wing.

Wong's only chance may have been a new organization like the Knights.

He started to put it all together a couple of years ago, but it was really going back as an overager that showed that he was a legit prospect to watch. One of the best things that could've happened for him was the trade of Brayden Burke. It showed that Wong could legitimately carry a heavier load offensively.

Prior to that he was seen as a solid support player at the junior level, but not necessarily an intriguing NHL prospect. Wong was a bit of a late bloomer in terms of fully showing his offensive potential. He just kept improving and getting better and he's worked his tail off to get this opportunity.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
He started to put it all together a couple of years ago, but it was really going back as an overager that showed that he was a legit prospect to watch. One of the best things that could've happened for him was the trade of Brayden Burke. It showed that Wong could legitimately carry a heavier load offensively.

Prior to that he was seen as a solid support player at the junior level, but not necessarily an intriguing NHL prospect. Wong was a bit of a late bloomer in terms of fully showing his offensive potential. He just kept improving and getting better and he's worked his tail off to get this opportunity.

Good to know - thanks!

More reasons why he's another potential steal for the Knights. It will be interesting to see how he does with the Wolves.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Good to know - thanks!

More reasons why he's another potential steal for the Knights. It will be interesting to see how he does with the Wolves.

The irony is that something that was once seen as a knock on him (that he wasn't necessarily a toolsy guy and had to work for his points), is what might actually allow him to make it as an underdog.

We tend to assume that most smaller players who put up points are highly skilled, but somewhat limited in other areas such as strength, or defensive play, or grit.

With Wong, it's more of the opposite. He plays a two-way game, goes into the battle zones and brings a pretty complete game. In his case, it was the offense that came later.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The irony is that something that was once seen as a knock on him (that he wasn't necessarily a toolsy guy and had to work for his points), is what might actually allow him to make it as an underdog.

We tend to assume that most smaller players who put up points are highly skilled, but somewhat limited in other areas such as strength, or defensive play, or grit.

With Wong, it's more of the opposite. He plays a two-way game, goes into the battle zones and brings a pretty complete game. In his case, it was the offense that came later.

You're right. He certainly seemed tough enough last night.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
What are the chances Glass makes the team? Even for a 9 game stint?

I was just discussing this on the weekend with a friend...IMO I think it would be a bad move to keep him up. Way too many players are ruined by having them play in the NHL before they are ready. As a Jet's fan, I would say Burmistrov was a prime example of this; lots of talent, but could have used another year or two in the minors working on improving various skills.

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
I was just discussing this on the weekend with a friend...IMO I think it would be a bad move to keep him up. Way too many players are ruined by having them play in the NHL before they are ready. As a Jet's fan, I would say Burmistrov was a prime example of this; lots of talent, but could have used another year or two in the minors working on improving various skills.

I agree. He's not one of those so-called generational talents so why take the risk?

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
There's no need to rush anyone.

Despite of the results of this preseason (essentially prospects) game, this team isn't going to be great and will be very much in flux. There's little reason to have someone up that isn't 110% ready if leaving them down is a possibility.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Reinhart's performance is par for the course. He was a bit of a stretch for the fourth pick in the 2012 draft and has been chasing down those expectations ever since. However, the league's demands on defensemen has changed dramatically in the last 5 years and Reinhart thus far has found himself in the same boat as a lot of defensive prospects drafted in the 2010-2012 range in that the game is considerably quicker than the one they were drafted into. Right now, he appears to be victim of one of the most noteworthy transition periods in recent NHL memory.

I think this is key. Great insight!

This is only going to become more pronounced if they continue calling stick infractions in the regular season. It's a major shift! The game may be about to become scary fast!

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I think this is key. Great insight!

This is only going to become more pronounced if they continue calling stick infractions in the regular season. It's a major shift! The game may be about to become scary fast!

Hopefully, the game will be less about thuggery and more about skill.

This will allow some "undersized but skilled players" to become stellar players (especially since VGK have several players who fit that description).

I like the speed game. :popcorn:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad