KNBC (Los Angeles) pre-empting hockey for Marathon

danaluvsthekings

May 1, 2004
I just turned on my local NBC affiliate (KNBC) to find they're covering the LA Marathon until 11 AM, where they will join the Avs/Wings game in progress, denying those LA hockey fans without Center Ice the chance to see a game in it's entirety this week.

I'm sure this will help the NHL tv ratings, pre-empting games in the 2nd largest media market.

I'm curious what they would have done if it was the Kings or Ducks on the schedule this week as NBC is the only place the game should be seen, since the Center Ice feed should be blacked out to force people to watch it on KNBC. But I'm getting the Wings/Avs right now on Center Ice. I'm wonder if at 11, when KNBC joins the game in progress, if my Center Ice feed will then be blacked out.

Edit: In my bedroom, on an older Directv receiver, I'm getting the Wings/Avs game. In the living room, with a newer Directv receiver, I've got the "This game is not available in your area" message. So I'm really confused.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
At least the NHL wasn't pre-emopted by Karate Kid II which ESPN/ABC's Arena Football game was in DC.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Who cares about watching people run?

Stupid NBC, cant get its act right.
It wasn't NBC, it was the LA affiliate KNBC - big difference. Actually, IIRC, KNBC is an NBC O&O, but that doesn't really make much of a difference - KNBC has local management making decisions.

And I would guess that a hell of a lot more people in LA care about "watching people run" - it is a well promoted, high profile local event - than watching an Avs/wings game. That's why KNBC made it's choice - ratings. It was a business decision - nothing more, nothing less.

Blue Dragon

Jan 27, 2007
Ohio
I've seen worse. Dayton, Ohio's NBC affiliate WDTN pre-empted the first half-hour of the first week of NHL on NBC with the 700 Club Telethon.

WhiteWash*

how is that pronounced? jogging or yogging? I don't know.. it might be a soft j.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Game just came on, It is the Avs vs the Red Wings again.
I would prefer other teams. Sick of these 2

In the east, we had Philly vs. Pittsburgh, which is a blessing because I also am bored with Avs vs. Wings. The Avs aren't even that good anymore.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
That's an interesting take on things.

The Flyers aren't a good team as such, but it was a good game - enlivened by the newer players in Philly's line up such as Coburn and Upshall.

And the Avs won't make the playoffs this year, although they do have some interesting players. Still, the Detroit/Colorado rivalry is played out, and boring as hell to watch nowadays.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
KNBC is also a pretty big sponsor in the deal.

I work at the corporate HQ and we have several events leading up to the marathon and KNBC is there to cover them. They have Fritz Coleman MC the big tent party and he does a live weather shot in the lobby.

I would not be shocked if the ratings for the Marathon were not larger then the NHL game. Remember it was two teams that have no impact to the city (the Kings are not in the playoff race).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad