Player Discussion Klefbom

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Plus he's taken more shots/game this season than he did last season. Something fishy. Somebody with a sore shoulder all year wouldn't be taking more shots all year and also taking part in optional skills context and including hardest shot. That's a good point.

Whenever theres a player here playing really ****ty it seems like the injury rumor and talk come out. Klef missed only a few games, that's it. There hasn't been one time where it looked like he was favoring anything. I don't even know when and where he allegedly injured himself or how.
Just a note here: he was told apparently to shoot much more as to increse his shot volume this season. He said as much himself before this season started.

I don't know if that was good advice though to be honest. Coming off a good season I would have liked him to keep it up, not change anything really. Especially I would not encourage, however tempting it may be, for Klefbom to be more offensive (i.e. sacrifice defense) by increasing his shot volume (good for corsi I guess).

It is a detail in all if this but that little tidbit has bugged me for a while, maybe I am making too much of it though.

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013
If you look at this year and two years ago. This year he has played almost every game and struggled. Two years ago he missed 52 games (obviously not his fault) which still hurts the team.

I don't want to be misinterpreted here. I am not advocating for the trading of Klefbom. I would only trade him for an upgrade.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Obviously an injury can affect the mental side, but in Klefbom's case, this is a player who went from a good player to a player who very clearly shouldn't be in the NHL.

Massive exaggeration, but ok.

Either the player/coaches/doctors are idiots and allowing him to play through an incredibly serious injury or the injury isn't that serious and he isn't nearly affected by it as some think.

False choice. Could be an injury that is impacting is game and might need treatment down the line, but isn't quite serious enough to shut him down completely. Not everything is black and white.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Massive exaggeration, but ok.

False choice. Could be an injury that is impacting is game and might need treatment down the line, but isn't quite serious enough to shut him down completely. Not everything is black and white.
If a little injury causes him to play this bad, we should just get rid of him now, cause hes going to be useless in the playoffs.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
AS per guidelines a team can not instruct a player to have surgery. As I understand it an employer cannot force any employee to have any medical procedure or surgery. This extends of course to professional players. In a lot of instances where there is hesitation to have procedures done this can emanate from the players decision as well.

Don't want to play doctor here but with Klefboms history of post op complications and infections he might have had concerns with having more medical treatments and might be averse to the same. I mean this guy has had several nightmare complications and infections in that regard. If I'm him I don't even want to be walking by a hospital...There might even be medical precautions and contraindications based on his known post op infection history. Many patients are considered not able to have surgery until other conditions are satisfactorily resolved. its all plausible.

In anycase we all just be guessing. ;)

That's a good point that I didn't think of, regarding his past complications after surgery.

And for sure, just lots of guessing :) But it would make a lot of sense if he had the surgery or slow rehab options on the table and he picked the rehab because of his last surgery experience.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Guys what do you think we could get for Klefy?

They do need to make a decision with this player. If he comes back and does a complete bed shitting like he's done this year. His trade value is toast and He'd be better off sat in the minors. Yes he has hurt the team that much this year imo.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Yup, it's getting absolutely ridiculous. This place has gotten really toxic lately.

First Draisaitl was fat and lazy, and now Klefbom lacks a brain and is faking injury. Jesus christ.

I know the team is awful and it sucks, but lets try and be a little more reasonable here maybe ?

Kinda funny also to see so many people rail against Chia for his trades, but the people themselves are ready to move on from guys like Drai and Klef as soon as they hit a slump (in both cases related to injury nonetheless), regardless of how good they've proved to be when they're at their best.

QFT. It makes posting here a chore.
This place has gone to shit this season, even moreso than the decade of darkness, and it has driven many good posters away unfortunately. I hope some of them come back when the team is good and the toxic posters start posting less.
Edit: I read through the last few pages and there was some reasonable discussion finally. More of that please.

In any event, if there is indeed an injury that is slowing him down, they need to nip this in the bud and get it fixed now. No use dragging it out even further in a lost season and having something that could linger into next season.
If anything, he needs a mental reset to refresh the batteries and come back with renewed purpose. IMO, it's poor coaching not to sit him a few games or at least partner him with a better Dman than Benning who is suffering the same confidence issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaddy

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Auvitu has been reasonable answer for us, right? So has Davidson. I don't understand the player usage of this team other than McLellan playing favorites.

I honestly think Auvitu is also caught up in Coach/Manager politics. A them i'm detecting is mcLellan specifically either not playing some Chia recruits or playing them out of position whether they be wingers or D. Its interesting. I think Mclellan is exhibiting a really stubborn mentality in regards to players, schemes, lines, units, who is dressing etc.

I've resisted the fire the coach response throughout but I'm really frustrated with this guy. I think he had his place as a transition coach to take us out of the dark ages. But his time is past. We need a better hockey mind that is capable of more fluid thinking. Mclellan is really bad at game management, adjustments, and altering plans and getting the most out of players. If one is looking at him as well he's gone from starting out as a reasonable player type coach, exuding positivity to someone tha looks pissed and grumpy all the time. He's burned out. He's done all he can here imo.

Good to see that you've come around on this.
I don't want to turn this into a Mclellan thread but his player usage this season has been mind boggling to say the least. It seems as if him and Chia aren't on the same page.

I don't think Mclellan is a poor coach but he seems out of his element here. The Oilers need a coach with a fresh approach, an approach that is open to adjustment when the time is needed by recognizing when something is working and come up with creative ideas to fix it so in other words, no Sutter or Tippett like some posters seem to want. Then again, I wouldn't want another Eakins either who was known as something who had a "different" and "fresh" approach so I don't know what the answer is.
Ok, I guess I did turn this into a Mclellan thread haha. The mods can move this to the Fire Mclellan thread if they'd like.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
The seasons pretty much over. If the guys hurt, then just give him the rest of the year to heal/have surgery so hes healthy for next season.

Hes had an off year but I dont think we should trade him. Lets see what he does next year.

So many fans are always in a rush to trade our guys off then criticize the GM when they do actually trade them.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The seasons pretty much over. If the guys hurt, then just give him the rest of the year to heal/have surgery so hes healthy for next season.

Hes had an off year but I dont think we should trade him. Lets see what he does next year.

So many fans are always in a rush to trade our guys off then criticize the GM when they do actually trade them.
Some people just like to complain about everything.

I agree we should keep him, cause he was a very good D-man for us last year and well worth is 4.167m price tag

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Good to see that you've come around on this.
I don't want to turn this into a Mclellan thread but his player usage this season has been mind boggling to say the least. It seems as if him and Chia aren't on the same page.

I don't think Mclellan is a poor coach but he seems out of his element here. The Oilers need a coach with a fresh approach, an approach that is open to adjustment when the time is needed by recognizing when something is working and come up with creative ideas to fix it so in other words, no Sutter or Tippett like some posters seem to want. Then again, I wouldn't want another Eakins either who was known as something who had a "different" and "fresh" approach so I don't know what the answer is.
Ok, I guess I did turn this into a Mclellan thread haha. The mods can move this to the Fire Mclellan thread if they'd like.

Come around? heh, I never wanted McLellan and Woodcroft here. I've just tried to be patient with a status quo that I Never thought was good.

McLellan isn't a good coach, just that few of them exist at this level. Maybe a dozen in any given year. The NHL, as others have mentioned is all an OBC and whoever has experience gets more experience and whoever has to get experience at this level is seldom granted it without connections.

Like I said before I'm attracted to intelligent coaches. Cooper and Torts would be examples of this. Bowman and Sather in my book probably among the best coaches ever along with say Al Arbour and all great minds.

McLellan is the classic player turned coach that doesn't really know much else and hasn't bothered to. A hockey lifer. Not that he's very adaptable even given decades in the game. Thing is that McLellan is the same breed as Eakins, someone that thinks they know more than they probably do. Plus both being ex players, neither even being good players. (not that the latter means much though)

As soon as Eakins started self aggrandizing that when he was healthy scratched as a D all those games that he wasn't sitting up there eating popcorn I knew we had a self promoter. Some people are better at self promotion than anything else. Even to hear him narratively praise himself in that patting himself on the back way was strange because I thought about how players would take that kind of holier than thou narrative.

At least McLellan isn't anywhere near as annoying.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Give me more than a handful of posters/media who thought he'd regress in this manner from last season to this one because "he is just too stupid" and I'll buy you milk and cookies.
I think you know I was in that group. I've laid off Klefbom like you politely asked, but are you not even a bit concerned at this point?
As nice as some of his fancy stats and charts looked last season, the kid still had big problems with decision making and defending. From what I've seen of his career (I know nothing about his performances in Europe) I agree with the posters who say 'what is it exactly that Klefbom does well'?
I'm desperately hoping he can get healthy and turn his career back onto a good path, but I have to admit I'm not expecting it to happen.

Reactions: frag2

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
I think you know I was in that group. I've laid off Klefbom like you politely asked, but are you not even a bit concerned at this point?
As nice as some of his fancy stats and charts looked last season, the kid still had big problems with decision making and defending. From what I've seen of his career (I know nothing about his performances in Europe) I agree with the posters who say 'what is it exactly that Klefbom does well'?
I'm desperately hoping he can get healthy and turn his career back onto a good path, but I have to admit I'm not expecting it to happen.
This is laying off Klefbom?

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
This is laying off Klefbom?
Like I said, I haven't made any posts about Klefbom since very early in the season, like October.
I think I've exercised considerable restraint given the way he has played.
But thanks for chiming in with your valuable contribution :sarcasm:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If we trade him it will be while his value is low, ie. Schultz to Pittsburgh. If management is even considering firing this coaching staff and they know that Oscar is hurt, they should keep him, shut him down for the season and allow him to be healthy and fresh for the start of next season.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
If we trade him it will be while his value is low, ie. Schultz to Pittsburgh. If management is even considering firing this coaching staff and they know that Oscar is hurt, they should keep him, shut him down for the season and allow him to be healthy and fresh for the start of next season.

Agreed. Klefbom is horrible. Rumours of injury are out there, but i'm not too sure. Klefbom is a puss, a real bad fly bite could put him out of ggames. Either way, his value is low and he deserves another shot at thisnext year.

Reactions: frag2

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
It's pretty clear his injury is brain related and he has absolutely no trade value. Need to upgrade D though and play him as little as possible. Get rid of Benning, he shouldn't be in the NHL, I wouldn't
even trust him to pick up my garbage.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I've followed, albeit not as thoroughly as I do with prospects these days, his career since junior and all I've seen is high risk high reward. He's physically capable in that he's pretty strong and decent skater but he doesn't read the game both defensively and offensively well enough. There were always questions about his ability to generate offense and last year might have just been an anomaly. Like what Drivesaitl said...if you're a D and you aint scoring, you damn well better be defending.

FWIW, this season, aside from Sekera, hes the only minus D we have at -12. Everyone else is surprisingly on the positive end.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed. Klefbom is horrible. Rumours of injury are out there, but i'm not too sure. Klefbom is a puss, a real bad fly bite could put him out of ggames. Either way, his value is low and he deserves another shot at thisnext year.

He's horrible but he deserves another shot?

What will happen is that the Oilers will sell low with Klefbom like they did with every other asset and the same fans who were complaining about horrible Klefbom is will get angry at management for letting go of another promising young Dman when he flourishes elsewhere. Wash Rinse Repeat

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
He's horrible but he deserves another shot?

What will happen is that the Oilers will sell low with Klefbom like they did with every other asset and the same fans who were complaining about horrible Klefbom is will get angry at management for letting go of another promising young Dman when he flourishes elsewhere. Wash Rinse Repeat

I think I mentioned in another PGT
Not sure what's worse

-Waiting for Klef to figure whatever the F is wrong with all the while he causes another GA
or
-Having Chia at the helm and making another "major" move

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad